Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fraternity Life

Author Topic: Fraternity Life
Jacob Szewczyk
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 02:30 PM      Profile for Jacob Szewczyk   Email Jacob Szewczyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I am about 3/4 of the way through my freshman year of College. When I fist got to school, I ended up meeting a large amount of fraternity guys, they were pretty much hanging out constantly around the freshman dorm area trying to get people to come out to their houses. At first I was skeptical of joining one, but later last semester after going out to my friend's fraternity, I decided to join. I am now in the process of becoming a brother for the Chi Psi fraternity. I just wanted to see if anyone else here has been in/is in a fraternity, and any experiences anyone has had with fraternities, or sororities for that matter.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My college years were more like a second job than breaking free of mom and dad. I attended Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio between 1993 - 1998 and graduated from there with a degree in Secondary Education. Those of you familiar with this school are well aware that it is not known for its campus life. I was recommended by a professor for membership in a History Honorary Society, the name of which escapes me now. I do regret not joining that.

A friend of mine who manages a theater in Ohio has likened the fraternity/sorority system to "buying" your college friends. He burned a pledge application to a fraternity in front of so-called "brothers" back when he was in school and, needless to say, that didn't go over very well.

In my opinion, unless you're being inducted into Skull and Bones or some other powerfull group, the fraternity experience is just likely an acess to beer or possibly ass, but mostly wont payoff with the cornor office, or the job on Wall Street like many pledges are told.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My college had honor societies for those with academic acomplishments in their subject disciplines, and "house plans" which were open to all, no pledging or secrecy permitted.

But this college had no dorms, and after an interruption for military service, I decided to move to a small state college in order to experience living on campus. Actually, my dorm was in a large private house that had once been an embassy or consulate, then a girls' dorm, then given to male students.

This state college had seven fraternities and five sororities,
which united as an "Interfraternity Council" that controlled ALL social activities on campus. Female students wore sorority pins, and when speaking to a girl for the first time, she always asked what fraternity you belonged to. If she wore a fraternity pin, she was "pinned" and not eligible to date anyone except the owner of the jewelry she wore--the pins had chains that were crossed in obvious symbolism. Each sorority permitted its members to date only members of specific, approved fraternities.

These restrictions, and the pledging and secrecy stuff, as well as the religious segregation of the secret societies, turned me off. But as a veteran and transfer student from a big city, I was asked to pledge for a fraternity, which I turned down, preferring to remain an "independent." But two of my three roommates tried to bring me to their frat's keg party as their pledge, which I resisted. I didn't realize the embarrassment I caused them by my refusal, since showing up without a new recruit must have made them lose face before their frat brothers.
Later I realized I should have gone, had a beer and left, so as not to cause my roommates embarrassment.

Though I was getting straight "A's" upstate, the work was on a high school level, and, finding no room for independents there,at the end of the semester I returned to my previous college to finish my undergraduate work.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2007 10:53 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jacob-

I found my fraternity experience very rewarding. Of course, that was many years ago. I lived in the Lodge for the last three years of my undergraduate life, then went on to another campus where I completed my masters degree, and fell in with the brothers at that chapter. I have many fond memories of that additional year as well.

To this day, I keep in contact with three brothers from my undergraduate class. We all share a common bond that was developed during our college years and has continued to this day.

Every fraternity chapter is different, as are personalities within the chapter. However, the ideals of the fraternity you are pledging are worthwhile. It's not all about drinking and getting laid. Once you have completed your pledge training, you will have a better understanding.

In the meantime, the name Alpha Rho should should ring a bell for you. That was my undergraduate chapter.

Good luck with your pledge training, and give my best to Philip Spencer. [Wink]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stay away from Frats! They are about useless, unless your ambition in college life is to party at either your or your parents expense.

What you should seriously consider is joining are PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS within your major. For example, my major is Manufacturing Engineering Technology. As such I am a student member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers and the Vice Chair of our student chapter. Also present in our department is the student SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) chapter.

Professional Organizations are worth the time and effort...it is thru these types of organizations that you make business ties with industry. Furthermore, these types of professional organizations offer many other benefits to their student members, from scholarships to technical resources to discounts on books, to professional certification exams.

Kutler

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2007 09:01 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stay away from frats Will? Useless? I couldn't begin to count the number of people in my fraternity who got their starts in their careers due to the networking of fellow brothers.

Life is what you make it. It's not all about partying.

As far as professional organizations go, it's nice to join and blow your horn, and I've joined some in my lifetime, but they will never equal my fraternity experiences.

Daniel Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2007 11:29 AM      Profile for Daniel Wright   Email Daniel Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alpha Phi Alpha has been banned from campus here in Stillwater, Oklahoma for 15 years. It was a hazing ritual gone wrong. They paddled a guy so hard they tore muscle from bone. I don't know much about them, They did not have a frat house on campus.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-15-2007 11:55 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with John, I joined the Alpha Pi Theta in my 2nd year at Emerson college in Boston. I still keep in touch with my fraternity brothers on a regular basis. We were not a party fraternity but we did work with community theatres and the college radio station. My experience with was well worth the time spent.

[ 03-15-2007, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

Jacob Szewczyk
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Jacob Szewczyk   Email Jacob Szewczyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most people have the wrong impression about fraternities, or have never actually known anyone in a fraternity. Now, I am only about a month into my pledge process so I am not really deep into the fraternity, but I do know fraternities are not all about partying. One of the first things I was told during rush week by our President was that if we were looking to party 24/7, then we shouldn't join Chi Psi. Yes, there are parties, but there is a lot more then parties. We have voulenteer projects to help out our community, we have get togethers with Chi Psi alumni, and we help out around our school.

We have a large amount of Chi Psi alumni near my school because we are very close to Washington DC. Many of our alumni are lawyers, doctors, politicians, ect, and the ones we have talked to have all told us how their fraternity life has helped them throughout their lives. There are many successful Chi Psi alumni, just look at Prince Albert of Monaco.

John-
Alpha Rho does indeed ring a bell. I may make a visit up there someday, a pledge brother of mine has friends there so we may go on a trip up there. Now, we're one of the newest Alphas, but you may know of Alpha Omega Delta.

Thank you, and of course I'll give Philip Spencer your regards [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys... get with it.. ALL frat life is purely based on the movie "Animal House"!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my Frat Story:

Immediately upon graduation from high school I went to community college where I earned one of my professional ratings.

Anyhow, this college was located in the boon-docks...left hand side of the middle of nowhere (literally), but at that time it was one of the premier colleges in the US for that professional program.

If a student lived in the dorms, one was truly up shits creek without a car, so the VERY FEW on-campus amnenties that we had were quite precious.

Well, this college also played host to the football training camp of a major PAC-10 University. When this team came on campus they were treated like KINGS...it was fuckin ridiculus and truly disgusting! And what really made life hard was that the student population was banned from using our facilities (by the campus/college administration) which were reserved for the jocks.

Anyhow, most of the guys I was in school with were military veterans, bikers, etc...some pretty tough people who could be your best friend if you got on their good side.

So, we formed a "professional organization/frat" within the department that everyone joined w/o pledging, etc.

One thing that we all banded together on was standing up to the jocks. And we made it quite clear to them that regardless of the campus administration WE WOULD USE OUR FACILITIES or there would be trouble, if ya get the drift.

Well, the jocks backed off and learned how to behave around us with manners, as we were not willing to take crap off them.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 02:21 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jacob-

Check your message board.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: