Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Brad Delp (singer of Boston) dies at 55 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Brad Delp (singer of Boston) dies at 55
Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-10-2007 03:46 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this out. No evidence of foul play, but the cause seems not to be known at this time.

Yahoo news story.

Boston is one of my favorite bands, and it's disappointing to learn that if they ever tour again, it won't be Brad's golden voice that makes the tunes resonate.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-10-2007 08:21 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! I can't believe it, he was still young yet!

Boston is one of my all-time favorites, going back to when I was in high school. I have a lot of fond memories associated with that music, and Brad Delp's voice was the background to many events and good times in my younger days.

I have his music on CD in my car, and listen to it nearly every day.

This is very sad.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2007 12:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a shocker. Boston had some good music on all their records, but the first two are definitely the best.

I saw Boston at Red Rocks, near Denver sometime in the late '90s. Delp was with them, but they had another guy too who would hit the highest notes that Brad couldn't quite reach. Together they sounded awesome.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 01:08 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, I still remember playing the heck out of both sides of their first LP....and the 1st side of their 2nd LP!!! All I want is to have my peace of mind...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-10-2007 01:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sad news. I grew up listening to Boston.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-10-2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first two albums were released again last summer, newly remastered by Tom Scholz. I had bought a copy of each (for the umtpeenth time) and ripped/burned both discs to a single CDR for playing non-stop in my car. Yesterday, I had the disc playing, and today I will listen again. It's the music of my young childhood, and the sound that gave me my rock-and-roll sensibilities.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-10-2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
I had bought a copy of each (for the umtpeenth time)
Boston is the ONLY group that I have bought multiple copies of - in nearly every format.

First, I had them on 8-track, twice, in my sophomore or junior year of high school... wore those out; then, three or four times each on cassette over the years, worn out. Also had them on LP. Just a couple of years ago, I bought both cassettes (Boston I and II) YET AGAIN at truckstops when I was OTR.

Never have I bought so many copies of the same artist!

Back in the 70s, while pursuing my dream of becoming a service engineer, these lyrics held special meaning for me:

It's a long road,
I've gotta stay in time with;
I've got to keep on chasin' that dream,
tho' I may never find it...

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 04:34 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston was in the era of my brother and sister. They are ten years older than me. I was exposed to a lot of eighties music because my brother and I shared a room. I loved Boston's Amanda from the Third Stage album. What a great song.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua: "Amanda" was an OK song...it was good to listen to a new LP from Boston back then...after all, we fans had to wait, what was it, 7 years for their third LP to be released?! In that time, I imagine, Sib Hashian's afro had probably receded in many directions!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2007 01:18 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sib was gone after the second album, if memory serves. By the time "Third Stage" came around, Brad D and Tom S were the only original members.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2007 03:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sib and Fran Sheehan were both involved in some of the development of the Third Stage album. After the albums release a lawsuit was brought against Tom Shultz by Sib for lack of contrbution credit later Third Stage release had a sticker added crediting Sib and Fran for their work on the album.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right....I think I must have been thinking of the next album, "Walk On." I don't think Delp was even involved on that one.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-11-2007 08:14 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my most vivid memories of my radio days was the day the "Amanda" single showed up. Our music director pounded on the control room window with this HUGE look of shock on his face as he held it up.

We put it on the turntable immediately and went on the air. I announced it, we hit play, and within the first few seconds, he exclaimed "Awww FUCK! It's a ballad."

Nonetheless, the day Boston returned was probably the most significant non-death event to happen to rock radio in my 15-year career.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2007 12:08 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this s*cks to report it but I have been reading that they found Delp had commited suicide...something about running a tube from his car exhaust pipe to a bathroom, where he died. Rats! [Mad]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-15-2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already, there are conflicting stories. This report says it was charcoal grills in the house...

News story
quote: ATKINSON, N.H. -- Police released new information on Wednesday night about the death of former Boston lead singer Brad Delp.

Earlier in the day, Delp's family had released a statement that said the 55-year-old's death in his Atkinson home on Friday was the result of suicide.

The first officer at the scene, Atkinson police Lt. William Baldwin, said that Delp's fiancee, Pamela Sullivan, was outside the home and frantic when he arrived.

Sullivan had spent the previous night with friends and went to the home after calling and getting no response from Delp.

Baldwin immediately discovered that the rock star left notes to guide and protect emergency workers.

"We found a note on the door in the garage which led into the house, and we found another note on his bedroom door, 'caution carbon monoxide,' and then there was a little statement on there. We went looking for him. We didn't see him at first," said Baldwin.

Baldwin said that Delp had placed towels under the bedroom door and the door of the master bathroom where he took his own life by carbon monoxide poisoning.

"In the bathroom where he was located there were two charcoal grills that were in the shower that were smoldering slightly," said Baldwin.

Baldwin said he did not know why Delp took his life.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: