Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Stupit/Thrilling Things You've Done (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stupit/Thrilling Things You've Done
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-28-2007 05:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
My top 5 are:

Rafting down the Snake River
Skydiving
Underwater SCUBA Cave Diving
Bungee Jumping off a bridge
Slam Judy Garland at a gay bar

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
Slam Judy Garland at a gay bar
LOL. A long time ago I was talking with Mr. Scott Neff and Sir Adam Martin about the gay fascination with Judy Garland. Nobody could come up with the answer as to why that is, but it was thought that maybe it had to do something with "over the rainbow"... "rainbow" being the key word. If you know, Phil, please explain!

Anyway, stupit/thrilling things I've done:

-Blackflip off of a plowed snow berm on a BMX when I was 9 or 10.
-Attempting to jump over a river on my bike.
-Riding my bike even knowing it had a cracked frame... broke in half on me.
-Running from a cop car on foot as it pulled over to find out what I was doing out so late at night (I was maybe 11 or 12). Right as I took off it squealed its tires and started chasing me. I escaped, too.
-Probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-28-2007 08:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I don't have a clue as to why she is soooo beloved by some gays.

All I did was make a comment as how I thought she was a no-talent and ugly and I thought Toto was cuter. Boy oh boy, little did I realize that would get the hairy backs of all the queens in an uproar...go figure.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2007 08:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the stupidest thing I ever did was, my friend Darren and I were in my car on the freeway. We had a six-pack of beer, and we passed this truck. As we passed, Darren gave the truck driver a wave, raised his beer and hollered at him, "Want one?" The driver nodded yes, so I got the car right up next to the truck (at 75 MPH) and Darren sat on the passenger windowsill yelling "CLOSER! CLOSER!" and finally was able to hand the beer up to the truck driver. I can still visualize the huge truck tire spinning about 6 inches from my front fender.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 06:19 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago I was attaching a regulator to a propane cylinder when the 'phone rang. When I came back I forgot that I had only screwed up the coupling by hand, but I hadn't put the spanner on it. I opened the cylinder valve, went to light the torch, and had about a two foot long flame coming out of the cylinder. I had to reach down through the flames to close the cylinder valve. I won't do that again!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have done some risky things in my lifetime.....

In the last few years I have developed a fascination of exploring old mines and collecting minerals so venturing into old mines would have to be first on the list. The State Board of Mines and Gas says its dangerous but I'd have to say to them when was the last person injured or killed exploring an old mine in Utah??? More folks die every year snowmobiling and from the resulting avalanches than ever get hurt exploring old mines. Common sense prevails!

-

Another risky thing I've done is a stern dive on the Emperor. This is a 720 foot long ore carrier that sunk in Lake Superior off Isle Royale in 1947. The ship lies in 140 to 180 feet of water. Bottom time is short and two decompression stops are required... 30 feet and 20 feet. Its pretty amazing though as this ship is sitting more or less intact on the bottom, its as large as the Edmond Fitzgerald!. I didn't take my camera down on that dive but I've made many other shipwreck dives and the following picture is a good example of what its like at 100+ foot depth in Lake Superior on a pretty clear day. This is the propeller on the wreck of the George M. Cox.

-

I have to agree with Phil that Cave diving is also very dangerous. So may sub rooms and passages to get lost in and run out of air... again common sense and simple cave diving rules prevail and you come out alive. Here is a shot taken inside Ginny Spring in Florida. No one knows how deep this spring goes down.....

-

Another dangerous aspect of SCUBA is Ice Diving. Its dangerous but also alot of fun. Many things to go wrong like regulators free-flowing and such and... where's the hole I came in through..... actually you are attached to a line!

-

Mark

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-02-2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet. Those are some pretty cool scuba pics Mark. [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-03-2007 12:02 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
While I done it B4, I never had much desire to go spelunking. Have done a lot of UW cave dives in FL. Yes, the lifeline rope is necessary! [Smile]

Never done any ice dives... I HATE the cold ...all the rig-a-mah-roll sux and dry suits are a PITA! [Smile]

Done many dives in the Great Lakes... CRAPPY visibility and NOTHING interesting to see. MUCH rather dive wrecks in the FL and Bahama waters!

My worst dive was a Michigan quarry dive in which a train had crashed and sunk. It was soooo cloudy ya couldn't see 2 ft. Scary!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2007 09:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks the Jen.... I have thousands of pictures... all in slide form though and no slide projector anymore.

Philster... Actually Great lakes diving can be quite clear... especially in cold Lake Superior. Lake Michigan sucks! I was diving on the Novadock off Hart Michigan once and couldn't find the wreck... yea it was about a foot visibility there but I finally found the wreck with my head! Bong! Also managed to get a neato cargo chain off that wreck in spite of the mucky visibility. Lake Superior offers by far the best wreck dives from my experience. Been on wrecks in Florida and Bahamas too... nice viz down there especially in the Bahamas but no really big wrecks top dive on and its zero challenge to do a dive there. I like the challenge that Lake Superior offers!! Always wanted to head off to Truk Lagoon or Bikini to do the sunkem warships but alas never have.

I've had worse days than this off Florida and this is Lake Superior on a pretty good day. I was a good 50 feet back to get just the bow section of this 185' steamer since I had inadvertantly left my 28mm lens on the camera.
 -

The only time for Quarry dives IS in the winter when 200 to 300 viz persists. Its amazing to jump into a place that you can normally barelay see your hand in front if you and see clear across the lake or quarry.
 -

Went mine exploring yesterday in the west desert and found a huge Gold vein in one of the most amazing mines I've ever been in. Needless to say I had my "tools" with and got some of it. Will post pics later...

Mark

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2007 12:01 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I have to ask this, have you ever pee'd in your wetsuit to warm you up in those cold waters ? [Big Grin] Great pictures by the way!!

The stupid/thrilling thing I think I've done in the past few years was to lay on a bed of nails. Each nail was 3 inches apart, not tightly packed together like 'normal' bed of nails. Pictures coming soon.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
I have to ask this, have you ever pee'd in your wetsuit to warm you up in those cold waters ?
Nope! You save the brewskis for after the dive... or Glug after Ice dives. I always used a dry suit in fresh water diving since below the thermal-cline(about 35 feet down although that can vary) the temperature drops dramatically anyway. Can't pee in the drysuit or that defeats its purpose..... [Cool] . On ice dives you felt like you were in a nice cool air conditioned room and bottom time was not limited by the cold.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2007 11:45 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Lake Superior offers by far the best wreck dives from my experience.
Find the Edmund Fitzgerald yet?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark
Lake Superior offers by far the best wreck dives from my experience.
Sloan's Lake in Denver is way better than that for scuba diving. It is also the biggest/deepest/best lake in the world. It is deeper than most oceans and has a ton of sunken military craft from World War I and II. I was born in the hopital right across the street.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-05-2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
...found a huge Gold vein...
Oh c'mon Mark! I bet it was iron pyrite... [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William T. Parr
Find the Edmund Fitzgerald yet?

Nope! But I did find a nice gold vein last Saturday at this mine [Big Grin]

-

Down this tunnel that went at a steep angle.......

-

Right here.....

-

quote: Phil Hill
Oh c'mon Mark! I bet it was iron pyrite...
Sorry Phil but its the real thing. Its easy to tell one from the other if ya know how. The pyrite appears as small pretty perfect square crystals and reflect light. The gold is in there as flecks that are very irregular... (pyrite does not grow this way) and when you cover a speciman that contains both with your hand from direct light the pyrite disappears but the gold flecks remain the same yellow gold color. Stopped by the local rock shop with one speciman today and its confirmed gold. Hey... can't help it there's lots of it out here... ya just gotta go lookin.

Mark
(Havin fun in the desert on Saturdys when I'm not on call!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: