Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shaky movies SUCK! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shaky movies SUCK!
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2007 01:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cristi Puiu needs to learn the meaning of the word "STEADICAM"!

I specifically refer to his movie, "The Death of Mr. Lazarescu".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0456149/

This is one of those movies shot with a single handheld camera... probably a cheap video cam, from the look of the picture. The picture shakes and jiggles throughout the entire movie, even the static shots!

There is an IMPLICIT contract between the director and the public when it comes to making movies:

THOU SHALT NOT GIVE THE AUDIENCE A HEADACHE FROM WATCHING A MOVIE!

I spend a LOT of time keeping my projector running well and keeping the picture looking nice and I DO NOT appreciate arty-farty assholes fucking up my clean picture!

"Dogme 95" SUCKS! [fu]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogme_95#List_of_Dogme_films

JUST RENT A STEADICAM YOU FUCKING RETARDS! [Mad]

There's no reason they can't use "Fluid" camera technique. I don't care for that very much, either, but at least it doesn't make the audience want to puke!

Not only do I have to watch that piece of Romanian shit three times in 24 hours but I have to get it back into the can as soon as the run is over because Technicolor wants to pick it up at midnite tonight! Not that I'm sorry to see it go but, who in the world could want to watch this piece of shit?! [bs]

Flame off... [scream]

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but it isn't a dogme film.

imdb says it's shot 35mm. unfortunately i saw it on a really crappy screen so i can't say for sure. it's sometimes hard to tell when you can see the screen perforations.

don't you think handheld jiggle is quite different from projector jiggle?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-28-2007 02:07 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
JUST RENT A STEADICAM YOU FUCKING RETARDS!
LMAO!

Amen Randy!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is the point of a "dogme" film? That's the most retarded thing I have ever heard of. Murders can't happen? WTF? It's basically saying that your movie must be a home video of the family traipsing about or worse. I can't even remember the last time where I didn't shoot sound and picture separate.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-28-2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, completely!

There's a great new invention called a "tripod" and there are a number of directors and DPs who need to learn how to use it (along with a fluid or geared head).

There's nothing wrong with the occasional handheld shot when it is justified by the story or circumstances (e.g. for certain types of documentaries), but I'm completely sick of films where the handheld shots outnumber the tripod/dolly/steadicam shots.

In a related rant, the Sony handycam is great for home use...it is NOT suitable for use in making a feature film. [Mad]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2007 03:57 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's not a Dogme 95 film but the mere idea of "Purity" POLLUTES the movie making world. It's because of the shitfucks who thought up the idea that we have to put up with this kind of abuse.

And I can tell you for CERTAIN that it is NOT projector jitter!
As I said above, I spend a lot of time keeping my projector working as well as it can. It is a 1950's vintage straight-gate Simplex. (PR-1003) I know it isn't "rock steady" but when you pull the aperture plate you have to actually look to see the sprocket holes move.

Further, the subtitles are steady on the screen and you can see the characters and objects on the screen jiggling all around while the letters don't move.

I don't care what they call it... "Dogme" or "Verité" or whatever. "Dog-shit" and "VOMIT-té" are more like it! Any redeeming qualities this film might have had are completely erased by the simple fact that the director is too busy mentally masturbating himself about what constitutes "art" and not making a movie that people will WANT to actually sit down and watch all the way through!

I'll say what the guy from E.W. said about "Blair Witch Project":

I could eat a can of Kodak and PUKE [puke] a better movie!

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 04:44 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those ShakyMovieMakers(TM) just never did their homework.
If they believe that shaking pictures give a more exciting or lifelike representation, they must be drunk or stoned all day long.

The human eye/brain combination is a perfect stabilization system, unless you are experiencing an earthquake or comet hit, you always perceive your vision as steady.

So if you don't like the smooth geometric dolly movements, use a Steadicam to get the shot. There is definitely no reason to imitate 1950s/1960s cinema verité aesthetics - back then there was no alternative!

Making ShakyMovies(TM) is just a poor excuse for improper direction and/or cinematography. It takes the hand of a master to make intelligent use of handheld camera work.

In EYES WIDE SHUT, there's a dialogue scene with Kidman/Cruise with her sitting on the floor against the wall. They talk about fidelity in their marriage, and when Cruise says that he is "certain of her", the Kidman character starts laughing, literally rolling on the floor.
The whole scenes is shot with locked down camera, no fancy stuff to detract from the actors' work. BUT in the cut when Kidman starts laughing violently, Kubrick cuts to a handheld, perfectly organic shot that follows her body movement, giving a sudden shock to the viewer. Suddenly you feel that the whole foundation of the marriage has been shaken. Kidman recomposes herself, and the shot steadies again. The rest of the scene is continued in static shots.

The difference between a cinematic ace and hundreds of hacks who believe that a "look" is something that can be imposed upon a movie instead of growing from the material.

End of rant. [Smile]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree that Dogme '95 is ridiculous, stupid, and ultimately harmful to movies. I've actually written papers detailing my hatred for the "movement". But I could not care less if a filmmaker chooses to shoot something hand-held. In fact, I prefer that aesthetic. When a camera is locked down, it supports the perception that the events taking place are staged. It's just one more level of disbelief to suspend. I'm not saying that that's always a bad thing, but it's usually not a good thing. A hand-held camera much more interesting, because it provides us with the sense that anything can happen. That's usually desirable.

I've made a few little movies, all terrible, and have a reputation amongst my friends for using a hand-held camera almost exclusively. On the last movie I made, I consciously decided to use a tripod as my default, and only go hand-held when necessary. That lasted for a whole scene. I soon realized that with the aesthetic choices I had made for the writing, acting, and cutting, locked-down cameras really didn't make any sense. Of course the movie still sucked, but that's beside the point.

This reminds me of a debate which was raging on the AVS Forum, where some people were arguing that film grain should be eliminated during High-Def video transfers because, after all, it's high-def. That doesn't make any sense to me. Our job is not to make movies look good. It's to make them not look bad.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-28-2007 05:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Dogme 95" SUCKS!
Amen to that! Towards the end of my days in the booth, my favourite memory was of a sporadic round of applause from the audience as Bjork gets strung up at the end of Dancer in the Dark. Revenge is a dish best served ... on handheld Mini DV?

If you want to do realism, there are better ways which don't involve punishing the audience who pay your wages. Robert Flaherty, the Soviet montage brigade, the British Documentary Movement, the Italian Neo-Realists, etc. etc. etc. and even Hitchcock (the continuous 80-minute take in Rope) all got this point...

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Schindler wrote:
quote: Mike Schindler
I've made a few little movies, all terrible, and have a reputation amongst my friends for using a hand-held camera almost exclusively. On the last movie I made, I consciously decided to use a tripod as my default, and only go hand-held when necessary. That lasted for a whole scene. I soon realized that with the aesthetic choices I had made for the writing, acting, and cutting, locked-down cameras really didn't make any sense.
But you didn't show your movie for two hours on a 70ft. screen in a theatre, did you? - I find that a certain movement - yes, even hand-held - is fine on TV if it fits the story, like they did in "24". But to do the same on a huge silver screen is another thing.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 06:26 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Appelt
But you didn't show your movie for two hours on a 70ft. screen in a theatre, did you?
No, but I've seen plenty of other feature-length hand-held movies on the big screen, and it's never bothered me. I know it does bother some people. My dad got sick while watching THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE. But I've never had a problem with it, and if I were to make a movie to be shown on a 70-foot screen, I don't think I'd alter my style.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2007 07:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE is a piece of shit that didn't even deserve to be made. To me handheld is usually very distracting (and amateur looking), even on a TV screen or a small Quicktime window on the internet. Yes, it has its uses and certainly isn't completely worthless by any means, but when the screen moves, I notice. It is far easier for me to suspend disbelief when the screen isn't moving or is moving smoothly.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my favorite hand held shot is in Bladerunner, I think its the only handheld shot in the whole movie, When Harrison Fords character is asked if he had ever taken the replicant test himself.

I also liked the fake camera jitter in Saving Private Ryan. It worked for me.

Overall though constant hand held shots, especially wide establishing shots look stupid on screen, unless the director wants to make the audience sea sick as his main priority, they are simply incompetent at their job.

Dogma films at least come with a warning! anyone who chooses to see one by now must realise what they are in for. Cinemas could provide brown paper bags with the tickets!

Hand held cinematography can be one of many valuable tools in storytelling if used wisely by talented filmmakers. Its a shame its used so much by a few idiots!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 07:50 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Sounds like THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE is a piece of shit that didn't even deserve to be made.
Actually, it's not bad. It's really weird. Jonathan Demme adopted the hand-held look of the film as an homage to the French New Wave. I don't know why he chose to do this while remaking a Stanley Donen movie, but it works. Not as good as the original, CHARADE, but still worth taking a look at.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 09:38 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember, when I shot footage, following numerous tips on how to keep the frame steady if you had no alternative to hand-holding. It can be done with reasonable success, even with Super 8.

So for shaky 35mm you'd have to hire an operator with an unfortunate addiction.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: