Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Academy Awards for the year 2006 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Academy Awards for the year 2006
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-25-2007 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will anyone actually be watching this? Since I have no life (at least for tonight), I may tune in. I'll probably walk away for the boring parts, though. I bet Martin Scorsese will get his pity Oscar this year. Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and that fat guy (Coppola?) all called me and told me that they were presenting the Oscar and they were gonna give it to Scorsese... out of pity.

I don't even remember what movies came out this year so I don't know who or what should win.

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I not stand about the Oscars: JOAN RIVERS and her FREAKS! It's enough to listen to her "constipation of the brain, diarrhea of the lips" syndrome every time I turn on the TV Guide Channel to see whats on...but to see her on the red carpet of the Oscars! [puke] [Mad] [thumbsdown]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2007 07:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count me out... stopped watching these a few years ago save for occasionally taping it and fast forwarding to the in between jokes (when the host was good) and the awards at the end. I hear this one is supposed to run even longer than normal this year. And Jonathan Demme isn't making a speech either.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 02-25-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same here. You have to be a real loser to even care about watching that show these days. [puke] [sleep]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops, I forgot, thanks Jen.

[sleep]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-25-2007 08:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad to see that Jack Nicholson is going through an extreme bout of chemo/radiation treatments. I hope he survives to the end of the show. I also have the same hope for the audience/TV viewers.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2007 10:07 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watch the last 30 minutes or so...Its kind of hard to figure when exactly that will be, but I only watch the important winners.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-26-2007 01:57 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the show with my wife this evening, and it actually didn't totally blow. It did slow down a little half way through, but it ended pretty good. Overall it was better then the last few years.

HOWEVER.... I NOW HATE JERRY SEINFELD!!!

He was allowed to pontificate on why people should leave their theater trash all over the place at the movie theater, because he believes that there is an implied contract between crooked theater owners and jack funkers like him.

He went on to say that theater operators are ripping people off with high concession prices, so therefore people should leave as much of their crap on the floor.

Nice. Mr. Millionare dickweed is too big to stoop so low as to be a good host. I used to love his show. I tried to watch it this evening, and it make me sick to look at him.

The bit wasn't even funny. He was just ripping on movie theaters. He was insulting to the craft, and to the people that make it possible for everyone in that audience to make a living. What a dick!

Perhaps he is too good to pick his own trash up, and apparently too good to first find out that the theaters get ripped off by ass talent like him, therefore needing to rape the average consumer.

Just a total assface.

I'm ok.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2007 02:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty sure someone would start something based on Jerry's bit. Dave is right... movie theaters are 100% perfect. I am proud to say that I haven't purchased concession items at a movie theater over 10 years and I never intend to again. But you know what? That also means I don't litter, which should make theater owners extremely happy.

Dave, theaters definitely need a good ribbing every once in awhile. The only reason Jerry said all that is because that's on a lot of people's minds. He didn't just pull that out of his ass. I don't think that Jerry Seinfeld "rips off" theaters therefore necessitating higher concession prices. He is right, though. We shouldn't be eating that crap in the first place.

The high definition feed cut out on me briefly towards the end for a minute or so (where Ellen was vacuuming) and then corrected itself. And although it was broadcast in Dolby Digital, sound only came from the front.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 07:31 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No surprises and not really very interesting. I slept through most of it. Only slight surprise was Arkin over Murphy, but I'm not bothered by that.

Saw on SUNDAY MORNING a sound mixer who had been nominated 18 times and has never won. Didn't win last night, either. He's done some big films, like TOP GUN.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 09:50 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to watch the awards because I'm a big nerd. Thankfully, I got called in to work at the last minute. I say 'thankfully' because it saved me from having to witness the sheer retardation. Pan's Labyrinth besting Children of Men for cinematography? Happy Feet beating Cars? An Inconvenient Truth winning anything at all? Save us all. [puke]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 09:50 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too thought the award show was boring as hell. I thought most of the women's dresses were unimaginative. Hell, the best looking woman may have been Sherri Lancing! [Eek!]

Ellen is a nice lady but a weak host. And I thought we had moved away from interpretive dance. Thank God the dance numbers were short.

Jerry Sienfeld's bit was funny and infuriating too as I spent much of Saturday picking up other people's crap. Not what one should be doing as a 44-year-old. It is consistent with Jerry's brand of humor. But people are rubbish. What really get's me is how bad the women's rest room gets. I can have 500 men, they may dribble a little around the urinal but the bathroom is neat and tidy. I can get 20-women and the bathroom is trashed. And then they complain.

But I thought the awards were sweet and mostly the right people won.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-26-2007 10:27 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to Martin Scorsese. I'm not sure I would agree with the "pity Oscar" characterization, but the Best Director and Best Picture awards for The Departed were very obviously influenced by the many times Scorsese has been snubbed when offering much greater films (Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas to name a few).

I don't mind the "pity vote" for him either considering the sort of blah-selection on this year's movies. Sure, movies like Little Miss Sunshine and Letters from Iwo Jima are good movies. But go back to other years, like 1976 where now classic movies like Taxi Driver and Network lost to Rocky (also a classic). Do any of this year's Best Picture nominees measure up to that? No. Therefore, I don't mind The Departed winning.

The one area where I don't agree with The Departed winning is in film editing. That movie had some odd-ball harsh-cuts, like clipping the Drop Kick Murphy's music after the opening title (which finally arrives around 18 minutes into the movie). Although I often can't stand Paul Greenglass' direction, I thought the editing scheme in United 93 was superior.

Does anyone have any idea how pissed Eddie Murphy must be for not winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Dreamgirls? I don't think he can play the race card either (like he has in the past) since African Americans took home the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress awards. I liked Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine. Foul mouth, good heart. Maybe the Academy is getting even with Murphy for Harlem Nights, Boomerang and Pluto Nash.

Best Animated Film: I thought Cars or Monster House should have won. The victory by Happy Feet seems like a carry-over from the Best Documentary win by An Inconvenient Truth.

Cinematography: I was happy NONE of the nominated movies were shot on video. Although it was odd two of the movies were about magicians -at least both were shot in true anamorphic 'scope.

Random Observations:

Funniest bit: Will Ferrel, Jack Black and John C. Reilly lampooning the fact the Academy has a giant board stuffed in its ass and cannot bring itself to recognize comedies, even though it is far more difficult to make a good comedy than any other type of movie.

Helen Mirren still looks pretty hot after all these years. I'll have to find a copy of Caligula. Scratch that. How about The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover instead?

Weirdest "WTF?" bit: that "chorus" of people mouthing sounds to stuff on the big screen behind them. Uncomfortable. The only time that sort of thing has ever been any good was Michael Winslow's moments in Police Academy.

Almost just as weird: the shadow "art" people making penguins, guns and the logo for Snakes On A Motherfucking Plane. I would have been far more happy if Jessica Biel disrobed and did some sexy silhouette dancing back there instead. In fact, throw Beyoncé back there for good measure and make both have a tickle fight with each other. Better yet, just get both out on to the center of the stage for some baby oil wrestling. Hmm. Maybe I should be watching the "Spike" channel instead!

Melissa Etheridge has a strange resemblance to Hillary Clinton. Maybe it's the hair.

What in the living hell was going on with Phillip Seymour Hoffmann's hair? Was that attempted dreadlocks? He looked like he passed out on the floor of a peep show and slept there for a week.

Boo to Jennifer Lopez for wearing something that didn't show off her curves. Gwyneth Paltrow had great hair but her dress made her tits look tiny. The singer from Coldplay must have a fetish for bony waifs. I prefer women with a little meat on their bones.

Most C-SPAN Boring moment: Clint Eastwood totally botching the intro on the piece about Ennio Morricone. Yes, Clint, if you are damned near blind you should remember to bring your glasses! Morricone is one of my most favorite movie music composers, but it is a shame the tribute to him was botched. At least the orchestra played his music reasonably well.

Normally, I like Seinfeld's comedy. But I agree he came off as a sniveling ass-hat during the Oscars. Seinfeld's bit about leaving trash in the theater was only funny from the perspective of the customer who doesn't know the first thing at all about the movie theater business. Maybe some of the folks in the Kodak Theater could clue him in on the fact that without those high priced concessions items there would be no movie theater at all to show the films. Many of the people in that Oscars audience have made damned sure movie theater companies get little to nothing of the box office cut!

Here's an idea: why not have Seinfeld follow his nasty jab at movie theaters with a more justified jab at movie studios making really shitty movies and then releasing 5 sequels based off the shitty original? Do we really need another Final Destination installment, Cheaper By The Dozen sequel, any more sequels at all starring Tim Allen or yet another freaking TV series send-up to the big screen?

Finally, many of these filmmakers are very adept at composing audio and video together on computer-based time lines. Few of them seem to know how to edit their acceptance speeches to a manageable amount of time. The people out in "TV land" hardly know any of the names being read off ad-nauseum. I thought it was actually pretty funny how one Sound Editing Oscar winner used up all the speech time and left his partner standing there, note in hand, when the "get the fuck off the stage" music started playing.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I did the "fast-forward-through-all-the-unnecessary-crap" bit and watched the whole show in an hour and 15 minutes.

I thought Ellen's bits (which we watched all of) were ... weak. I don't know how you go about pulling that gig off, and don't know what I expected out of her, but she's no Billy Crystal.

Alan Arkin winning the supporting actor was a surprise. If Eddie Murphy is "pissed," then he's a jerk. I know it's a cliche to say "it's an honor just to get nominated," but it's the truth.

I was hoping for Meryl Streep to win for "The Devil Wears Prada." But was not surprised about Helen Mirren winning, and deservedly.

I agree with most of the observations here about Seinfeld. It looked like he didn't even want to be there. He introduced the nominees as "these five incredibly depressing films."

I was hoping for some gigantic upset to topple "Inconvenient Truth," but no luck. I thought the orchestra playing Al Gore off during his "announcement" was hilarious.

I found the silhouette doohickeys fascinating, but sort of pointless. I liked the "sound effects choir," it was cool. Made me wish we were watching on a better TV (we were using the dinky bedroom set).

I found the Jack Black/Will Ferrell bit hilarious. With all the important film-makers who have tried and failed to make great comedies, it's surprising the academy doesn't honor those who are good at it.

The victory of "Happy Feet" over "Cars" was just stupid. That was probably the only award that just made me mad. Any idiot should be able to tell that "Cars" was far and away the best movie of the three. They only gave it to "Happy Feet" because of the environmental message, which is a valid message but it doesn't make a great movie. I agree the animation of HF was great, but the story was lame. "Cars" had everything a good movie should have. John Lasseter was robbed.

[edited to fix a typo.]

[ 02-26-2007, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm most certainly glad that I didn't watch this year's Oscars. Thank goodness I was working booth. Personally, I can't stand Ellen Degeneres.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: