Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is this key that came with my car? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is this key that came with my car?
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-16-2007 11:33 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This key was in the console of my 2005 Ford Explorer. The salesman said he thought it was a valet key, but there is no mention of such a thing in the manual. Danny seems to think it's the key to make his CP200 work properly. [Razz]

-

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-17-2007 12:30 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the self-destruct key. It goes into a little slot under the steering wheel. If you insert it there and press the red button on top of the steering wheel (the one which makes all lights flash), the car will self-destruct in a powerful blast within 3 seconds, with you in it, of course.
But don't use it lightly, for instance, when you just had a bad day at work.
Only use it when you have absolutely no other choice. For instance, when you get surrounded by Aliens and you know there is no other way out - but you also don't want to end up being eaten from the inside. Then use the key but wait until the last possible moment, so you take as many of them with you as you can.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2007 01:49 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be a special dealer key that fits your ignition and could be used for a number of cars. Rental car companies have such devices.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-17-2007 02:21 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The key does not fit in the ignition. My roommate suggests it may be some sort of electronic kill switch. Either that, or the alien thing.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it something to do with the immobiliser or alarm system? My 1997 Mondeo has a little RFD chip built into the top of the key, and the immobiliser has to be receiving its signal in order to let the car start. I found this out the hard way at midnight in an airport car park: the moulded plastic housing containing the chip had fallen out of the key during the flight (either that or it's lying on a sidewalk in Anchorage as I write!). When I tried to start the car, nothing happened. I called the RAC, assuming that either the battery was as flat as Pamela Anderson's chest before she had cosmetic surgery, or that the starter motor was buggered. It turned out to be the key chip thinggy. Annoyingly, Ford refuses to supply the RAC with any universal chips to restart the car in that situation (the reason they give being the risk that they could fall into the hands of crooks), and so they had to tow a perfectly serviceable car the 35 miles home.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-18-2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it release the radio?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-18-2007 07:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
It's the self-destruct key.
LOL!! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2007 07:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yooooouuuuu bought an Exploder....... [Eek!] .

I've had room keys at hotels that look similar. You might show it to the Ford Parts manager if they are still in buisness on Monday.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-18-2007 08:26 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Another master key to our Grand-Poopie-BAH's chastity belt?

I'd take that key to the dealership GM and ask him...while bitching what a dumbass, uninformed, worthless POS his salesman is.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-18-2007 08:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for the ignition kill switch theory.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 09:30 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's for extra power in reverse - torque up reverse (TURkey)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2007 09:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely nothing to do with the stereo. The release keys for Fords are U-shaped and poke into two holes on each side of the stereo.

Did you buy this thing used? Maybe that key has nothing to do with the car.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-18-2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick that thing in every hole you can find until you find the perfect fit.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2007 12:12 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, that was Wilt Chamberlain's motto.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-19-2007 11:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This key either works the Interceptor mode or is designed to reprogram the computer. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: