Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie in the recent Family Guy episode? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie in the recent Family Guy episode?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2007 06:01 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching this weeks Family Guy on DVR and noticed that in the scene where Brian and Stewie go to rent the helicopter to get to Aspen, Stewie does a song number. During the song number, he gets transformed into a live action sequence with I assume Gene Kelly...

What I'd like to know is what film this sequence originally came from...you can actually see the original cartoon character's shadow under Stewie during the sequence as well...I'll post a screenshot here in a minute...

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of the scene

-

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-03-2007 06:29 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the Worry Song dance from the 1945 MGM musical Anchors Aweigh with Gene Kelly and Jerry (of Tom & Jerry).

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2007 06:37 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2007 06:42 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a bunch guys

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2007 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While a funny episode, that sequence went on WAAAY too long, I guess they needed to pad some time as usual. [sleep]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I even said to myself that the sequence was longer than the usual Brian/Stewie bit.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-04-2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Family Guy has ALWAYS done the extended-scene stuff. It's one of its trademarks. In this case, I figure since they're trying to impress us with the gimmick, why not go all the way and do the WHOLE scene? It's definitely not out of style with the show.

Since the effort required to edit out the original character and put in Stewie probably took more time and budget than the rest of the episode, I doubt that they decided to make this one longer just to fill time because they were out of ideas, or anything like that. I would think it would have been more economical to add another filler scene in somewhere instead, right?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2007 11:18 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Stewie asking the dog (who's name I have forgotten as of this writing) "How's your screenplay coming along?"

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-05-2007 05:23 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "how's your novel coming?" bit is one of my favorites in the series! [Big Grin] [Razz]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 05:40 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How's your novel coming?" is classic. The longer it goes, the funnier it gets. Another of those extended sequences is when Peter will hurt his shin and sit down, "Owww, owww, owww...."

Sometimes it seems like some animators may have a pet sequence that they've always wanted to "homage," and the format of FG allows for such indulgences. "Simpsons" does from time to time, like Lisa's dentist visit, when she's put under and becomes part of "Yellow Submarine." Not as long as this latest Gene Kelly sequence, but in that same vein, IMHO.

Another great FG indulgence was Stewie doing the infamous William Shatner performance of "Rocketman."

Oh, and Chris being pulled into the dairy case at the supermarket and becoming part of the ah-ha video "Take Me On."

Gawd, I love that show! [thumbsup]

[ 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Hillary Charles ]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 12:59 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice FOX bug there.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-05-2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary, it just doesn't get any better than the Take On Me bit! Good call. Great show!

"Chris, where have you been?" "I DON'T KNOW!"

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 04:13 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse
quote: Jesse Skeen
Nice FOX bug there.
Doesn't bother me

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 05:05 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Brian, that's one of my favorite bits from FG. You reminded me of Chris' reply there at the end. He sounds truly distressed.

The first time that was on, as soon as I saw the pencil-drawn hand beckon him from behind the milk, I burst out laughing, and was not disappointed with the remainder of that sequence.

I had a co-worker who is a big fan of the show, but is a twentysomething who never saw the original video. Fortunately, Youtube has great examples of both versions. Now she gets the joke.

BTW, I edited my earlier post, the song Stewie is reciting as William Shatner is of course "Rocketman." It is a perfect shot-for-shot spoof (of something that one would think too weird to spoof).

-
 -

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see the two-part South Park where they destroy Family Guy, specifically the writing? Now THAT was funny stuff. Supposedly, after those episodes aired, people from Simpsons and King of the Hill sent the South Park people flowers for "doing God's work".

heh... Manatees

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: