Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » PDF editing software

Author Topic: PDF editing software
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-02-2007 06:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a quick search and was wondering what software other people like to edit an existing PDF file
I was looking at many online packages but all weemed a little vague as to what they can do

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-02-2007 06:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Photoshop. PDFs are exactly like printed documents, except totally different.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-02-2007 06:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobat Professional offer the best capability to edit existing PDFs. Applications like Photoshop, Flash, Premiere, etc. can create specialized PDFs.

Acrobat Pro can do a lot of straight modifications and provide a lot of other automated capabilities. Illustrator and InDesign are more geared to professional graphics and publishing, supporting the highest PDF/X content creation standards.

QuarkXpress has some decent PDF creation capability, but it is not as robust as the Adobe-branded stuff.

A lot of the more affordable PDF creation/reading tools on the market are geared to compete with the basic capabilities of Acrobat Professional. I would expect to see lots more applications, even MS Office, offer a lot of basic PDF editing capability now that Adobe made some of the core technologies in PDF open source.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After trying another popular PDF editor/creator and finding issues, I went back to Acrobat Pro. No regrets.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2007 02:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Acrobat Standard, because it's significantly cheaper than Professional and as far as I can tell, the only thing Pro does that Standard doesn't is to create documents with form fields which people who only have the reader can fill in and save. As I don't need that facility, it didn't seem worth paying an extra £80 for.

Acrobat is a fantastic package, and about the only application which has a three-figure price tag I don't mind paying. Its OCR and metadata fields make creating a document from scanned pages which is easily navigable and text-searchable dead easy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: