Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Identify this Richmond VA building

Author Topic: Identify this Richmond VA building
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-28-2007 05:23 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This building is on West Carey near the Byrd Theatre in Richmond, Virginia. Was it a theater? Photo taken June 1992 when it was an appliance repair store.

-

|  IP: Logged

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't a clue. I bet Bill knows.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-28-2007 09:05 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This building is the former Carillon Theatre. Built in the mid "30s and operated by the Wilmer and Vincent chain. Always a sub run house, it seated around 400. Closed in the early '60s, it first became a small appliance repair and parts facility, then empty for around 6 years it was converted into small shops all but one of which front on the side street, Colonial Ave. During the appliance shop period the seats near the front of the auditorium were still below the leveled floor, the proscenium was still there too. On the last renovation, everything was removed. This photo must have been taken very shortly before the appliance shop closed.

Adam Martin

- posted 02-02-2007 11:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bill.

Now how about this one? It appears to be the building to the right of the National Theatre. Photo from June 1992. Maybe [what's left of] the State or Grand?

-

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-03-2007 11:54 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the Colonial Theatre, or at least the front wall, the rest having been demolished to make way for an office building. The facade of the theatre in the pic was incorporated into the facade of the new building. The Colonial in the photo was the second theatre of that name to occupy the space. The first was built early in the 1900's, this one in '22 I believe. Its decor was modest and it had stadium seating with capacity of around 2200. It was built as a movie house. The projection booth was just that, a booth just large enough to house two projectors, rewind equipment. One had to turn sideways and squeeze to get past the lamp houses. The booth looked like an after thought, like it was forgotten and added later. The theatre closed around 1980. As far as I know, it was pretty much original and in fairly good shape when it closed.

The Colonial was on a block that contained from west to east the National Theatre (still standing and being renovated) the State, (demolished along with the Colonial) and the Colonial. Along the north side of Broad Street in four blocks once stood the Grand, National, State, Colonial, Lubin, Strand, Isis, and one other the name of which I don't remember. All are now gone except the National.

Adam Martin

- posted 02-03-2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help again!

I posted quite a few photos from 1992 of Richmond theaters to Cinematour today.

The list of theaters should be fairly complete, although you mentioned the Lubin and Isis, which I don't have any info on yet.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-03-2007 09:02 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lubin and Isis may have been the same building, I know the Isis building closed as the Park, I'll check.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: