Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows PC audio system block diagram or info

Author Topic: Windows PC audio system block diagram or info
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-15-2007 05:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a block diagram or can outline how the various software and hardware components of a typical Windows PC audio system work together?
Obviously, you have hardware inputs and outputs on both ends, but what happens in the middle, how do the various audio codecs and software components influence each other?
At what point do the settings in the control panel come into play?
How do other software devices, like media players, config utilities, other processing programs like audio editors work together?

I have an onboard "Realtek High Definition Audio" system with tons of digital and analog in and outputs (on the front *and* the back). It has its own little config tool, and I am mostly interested in how that interfaces with control panel settings, basically, what the whole processing path is from external sources or audio played from the hard disc, where all the software components come in etcetc.

EDIT - OK, right after posting this, I found this interesting link:
http://www.optimalsound.net/AudioDesignLine.html
which already seems to provide some answers. There are several sub-articles and even a big diagram (under "click to read" near the top of the page).
I don't have time to read it and analyze the diagram right now, but it seems there might be some answers already there.

Still, any additional info or comments are always welcome. This is specifically about "Intel HD Audio". Actually, it says in the specs that that's what my PC (from HP has), but the system info says Realtek, so I wonder if that's a mistake in the specs or if Intel simply uses Realtek components.

On the Realtek (obviously a Taiwanese company) website, it doesn't offer much info except for driver downloads.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-18-2007 04:50 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to bump up this massively interesting topic. I am a little surprised by the lack of responses. Has no one here investigated that yet?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2007 07:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...because the description identified the topic as a teaser....I mean how typical PC software/hardware works together? They don't; duh! [Razz]

Oh wait...you were serious, weren't you?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-18-2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's German. He was serious.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-18-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I did go to that site and looked at the chart and other things... YAWN...

I just want to use the stuff without learning all the "How did they do it"...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: