Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Famous City Sayings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Famous City Sayings
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, we all know some famous sayings about cities.

As an example, New York has "The City That Never Sleeps" and "I Love New York".

What are some sayings about Los Angeles, and sayings about your own city?

Winnipeg has "Winterpeg", because we're known for being very cold, but not really any slogans.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 07:46 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bakersfield's official new slogan is "Life As It Should Be."

Which is the biggest crock imaginable. High murder rate, major gang problems, worst air in the nation, low housing affordability index (lower than other CA cities, but wages are the lowest as well).

The new slogan has been openly ridiculed and once again make this city Im stuck in the butt of national jokes.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Province of Manitoba spent $2.1 Million dollars on developing a new slogan "spirited energy". Yes, that must be in lower cases.

This campaign is leading to the replacement of Manitoba's NDP government with the Manitoba Tories.

-

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-13-2007 08:57 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Virginia has used "Virginia Is For Lovers" in travel promotions for years.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-13-2007 10:10 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What happens in 'Vegas stays in 'Vegas."

Yeah yeah Hubie, sure sure...

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-13-2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
San Diego is referred to as "America's finest city" on the radio when they read the news or tell you about the weather. I don't know if it's true, though. Well, it must be, otherwise they wouldn't say it on the radio, right?

My hometown of Berlin is somehow associated with the slogan "Berlin ist eine Reise wert" ("Berlin is worth a trip").
That sounds really boring and uninventive. I think they came up with that during the time West Berlin was a walled-in island in the middle of (then communist) East Germany, and they promoted traveling there from Western Germany to overcome the city's isolation.
People from the Eastern Block wanted to travel there, too, with or without a slogan, but that wasn't so easy because the wall, mine fields, barbed wire, automated rifles, and guards with dogs, searchlights, and machine guns were in the way. More than 1000 people died trying to reach freedom.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-14-2007 09:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only saying about York I'm aware of is the nursery rhyme 'The Grand Old Duke of York' (he had ten thousand men; he marched them up to the top of a hill, then he marched them down again). This strikes me as somewhat ironic, as York is completely flat, in the middle of a flood plane (the Vale of York). The nearest hill of any significant size is around 20 miles away.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-14-2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I always have to think of when I hear the name York is Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life".

"The Miracle of Birth - The Third World - Yorkshire".

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-14-2007 04:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was good enough for Constantius Maximus and Guy Fawkes, it'll do me.

Monty Python didn't like the West Country, either: Hitler in England. That's the trouble with these BBC types - too London-centric if you ask me!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-14-2007 09:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the slogan Dave Letterman came up with for New York.

"New York: We can kick your city's ass!"

Strangely, the city never officially adopted it.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"On track since 1892" - my little town's slogan Hurlock, Maryland

"Get In On It" - is Baltimore's new catchphrase.

"Cincinnati, USA - All Together Surprising" - my hometown's new (stupid) catchphrase.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-17-2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Philadelphia - What are you lookin at?"

Well, maybe not. But that has my vote.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,
I'm with you, I hate these "modern" sort of double-entendre, vague "all things to all people" slogans we taxpayers pay a ton of money for.

Andrew,
Typically vague and wasteful NDP crap, that slogan and logo sux!
How about "Winnipeg - Mosquito Capital Of The World!"

Virginia is for lovers and I Love NY (State) are two of the most successful and longest runnning slogans. Maybe there's a lesson there, they're simple and we can understand what they're saying.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2007 01:41 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sung by an overly-happy group of teens and collegians:

quote:
Columbus, Columbus, we’re making it great;
Columbus, Columbus the star of the state!
Co-lummm-bus (so much to see in) Co-lummm-bus (so fun to be in)
We’re feelin’ proud, gonna shout it out loud for Co-LUM-BUS…
We’re making it GREAAAAAT!

Actually, this isn't the worst thing the Chamber of Commerce came up with, but it sort of sticks in your head.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2007 01:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the "Maryland is for Crabs" has done well for some time now.

I know that I do MY part. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: