Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone hear of Kerasotes Theaters? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anyone hear of Kerasotes Theaters?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2007 11:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes is coming into the Denver area and will be buying up a bunch of theaters here. They claim to be the 8th biggest chain ever, yet I have never heard of them. Do they use union projectionists that make between $30 and $35 an hour? That is the rumor I heard.

[ 01-13-2007, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 01:22 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Kerastoes theater here in P-town. I've been to the theater once, and that was to see Oh Brother Where Out Thou (yeah, it's been that long ago). I have NEVER heard of them having union projectionist. If that is the case, I'm quiting my job at Carmike and working there! I can safely say I do not know if they are evil or not, but what chain isn't evil in some ways? The lobby did remind me somehow of an airport terminal, thus probably why I've never been back. [Smile] j/k

Kerasotes is a big staple in IL/MO/IN, I'm surprised they're venturing out west.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-13-2007 05:08 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
no

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-13-2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link below.

www.Kerasotes.com

We are one of the industry's premier motion picture exhibition companies. Our theatres are located primarily in the Midwestern and upper Midwestern regions of the United States, including Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Missouri and Minnesota. We currently have 673 screens in 80 locations - with more on the way!

Finding showtimes for the Kerasotes theatre that is closest to you is quick and easy. Select your city below:

Select theatre… Benton, IL - Toler Bloomington, IN - ShowPlace East 11 Bloomington, IN - ShowPlace West 12 Bolingbrook, IL - ShowPlace 12 Cape Girardeau, MO - Town Plaza Cinema Carbondale, IL - ShowPlace 8 Carbondale, IL - University Place 8 Centralia, IL - Plaza 5 Charleston, IL - Will Rogers Chicago, IL - City North 14 Chicago, IL - Webster Place 11 Cicero, IL - ShowPlace 14 Columbus, IN - Commons Cinema Columbus, IN - ShowPlace 12 Coon Rapids, MN - ShowPlace 16 Danville, IL - Village Mall Dexter, MO - Town & Country Cinema East Alton, IL - Eastgate Cinema Edwardsville, IL - Cottonwood Cinema Edwardsville, IL - ShowPlace 12 Evansville, IN - Stadium 16 Farmington, MO - ShowPlace Galesburg, IL - ShowPlace 8 Hamilton, OH - Cinema 10 Hamilton, OH - ShowPlace 8 Harrisburg, IL - Cinema 4 Highland, IL - Lory Theatre Hobart, IN - ShowPlace 12 Indianapolis, IN - ShowPlace 12 (Glendale Mall) Indianapolis, IN - ShowPlace 12 (Traders Point) Indianapolis, IN - ShowPlace 12 (Washington Square) Indianapolis, IN - ShowPlace 16 Inver Grove Heights, MN - ShowPlace 16 Jacksonville, IL - Illinois Theatre Jacksonville, IL - Times Theatre Jerseyville, IL - Stadium Kennett, MO - Cinema Keokuk, IA - Plaza Kokomo, IN - ShowPlace 12 Lake in the Hills, IL - Lake in the Hills 12 LaPorte, IN - LaPorte Cinema Machesney Park, IL - ShowPlace 14 Marion, IL - Illinois Centre 8 Marion, IN - ShowPlace 12 Mattoon, IL - ShowPlace 10 Merrillville, IN - Merrillville 10 Merrilville/Hobart, IN - Showplace 12 Michigan City, IN - ShowPlace 14 Mt. Vernon, IL - ShowPlace 8 Muncie, IN - ShowPlace 12 Muncie, IN - ShowPlace 7 Naperville, IL - ShowPlace 16 New Castle, IN - Castle Theatre New Lenox, IL - ShowPlace 14 Niles, IL - ShowPlace 12 Paris, IL - Paris Theatre Park Hills, MO - Movies Pekin, IL - ShowPlace 14 Peru, IN - Eastwood Cinema Poplar Bluff, MO - ShowPlace 8 Princeton, IN - Princeton Theatre Quincy, IL - Quincy Mall Cinema Quincy, IL - Quincy ShowPlace 6 Richmond, IN - Cinema 10 Richmond, IN - ShowPlace 11 Rockford, IL - Colonial Village Rockford, IL - North Towne Rockford, IL - ShowPlace 16 Rockford/Machesney Park, IL - ShowPlace 14 Schererville, IN - ShowPlace 12 Schererville, IN - ShowPlace 16 South Bend, IN - ShowPlace 16 Springfield, IL - Parkway Pointe Springfield, IL - ShowPlace 12 West Springfield, IL - ShowPlace 8 East Springfield, IL - White Oaks Cinema Taylorville, IL - Cinema Terre Haute, IN - Honey Creek West 8 Terre Haute, IN - ShowPlace 12 Vernon Hills, IL - Rivertree Court Cinema Vernon Hills, IL - ShowPlace 8 Vincennes, IN - ShowPlace 8 Washington, IN - Indiana
Search by Zip Code

Kerasotes Theatres can deliver showtimes directly to your e-mail inbox. We will send you an e-mail every week listing the latest showtimes of the theatres you select. If offered at your theatre, you may also register to receive our Open Captioning Films, Art Films, and Matinee Movie Magic newsletters. It's free! Subscribe today.

Kerasotes Gift Certificates and Gift Cards* make the perfect gift for any occasion. They are sold in $5.00 denominations and can be used toward admissions or concession purchases. Buy them online or at the box office.

* Gift Cards available at participating theatres only.

Is your business or organization looking for a way to reward employees or customers? Our Super Savers are just the “ticket”! They're priced to fit your budget (minimum purchase required). Purchase them online.

"Matinee Movie Magic for Moms (and Dads)" creates an opportunity for parents to attend first-run films in a baby-friendly environment, and without fear of disturbing fellow moviegoers. Moms and dads can now "sit back, relax, and enjoy the show" instead of waiting for movies to come out on DVD. This program is available for selected showtimes and features on Tuesdays. Learn more.

Please remember that no carry-ins such as backpacks, packages, bags or boxes are allowed in Kerasotes Theatres. We request that these items be left at home or securely locked in your vehicle.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-13-2007 09:07 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to service Kerasotes in central Illinois about 10 years ago. They probably ARE around the 8th largest by this late date. They are headquartered in Springfield, IL. When I was working with them, they were 100% non-union. Although, they may have contracts today in some of their new Chicagoland theatres.

They were good people to do business with (and Valerie at Canton was especially nice).

Not to be confused with GKC, the George Kerasotes circuit (recently bought by Carmike). Also non-union.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 10:00 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tim, the amount of Kerasotes passes I was handed when GKC was GKC was amazing [Smile] We have/had Kerasotes, GKC and Goodrich around town. Everyone always thought that we were one of the other two.

Was the the theater located on 'the square' of Canton? There still is a movie theater there but I don't know the name of it. A little 2 screen one if I'm not mistaken.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They really have entered the Chicago Market big in the last few years or so after the whole Loews/amc thingy. I've got a friend who does projection over at the Webster Place 11 (non-union, but a decent pay rate) in Chicago and seems to really enjoy working for them. The Webster is an older (80s erra) cineplex and I hear they have been really cleaning the place up after Loews/amc neglected it for so long. As well the brand new 12-plex they built and opened in Niles IL certenly gives my Century a run for its money in terms of general aesthetic and appearance. I will commend them on designing a mall megaplex that doesn’t feel all mall megaplexy. Also, they advertise which movies are in the three largest houses on the new plexes which I really like.

[ 01-13-2007, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Alex Grueneberg ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2007 12:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the NATO Encyclopedia of Exhibition, Kerasotes is indeed the 8th largest chain. The company was founded in 1909.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-13-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally way back it was just one company but the brothers had a falling out and split the company up so along came GKC for George Kerasotes Theaters(if you could call them theaters),and then the other half kept the plain old Kearsotes Theaters name. Kerasotes Theaters technical guy is Fred Walraven... a pretty knowledgable and friendly guy. I used to do service for GKC once in a while for Abbott Theater Supply.... many of the locations in Peoria and Champaign, IL!!
The demise of GKC into Carmike was well deserved, they are on the same level as each other!! Too bad about Abbott though.

Mark

[ 01-13-2007, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes was a good company to work for. I was their Technical Coordinator for a couple of years. We used ASC for general tech work. If a theater had a problem, I would try to talk them through it over the phone, and then assess if they should call their local tech for an emergency call. At the time they had over 500 screens, not sure what they have now. When ASC went under, Fred hired a handful of the techs.

Their new theaters are top notch. They didn't spare any expenses. Fred is the best project manager that I have worked with. When I would show up for the installs, the booth would be finished and the electricians would be waiting for me to place the equipment so they could terminate wires. A typical 16 plex took 2 weeks to install from the day the equipment arrived.

Their operations people were always prepared also. All of the employees would train at different theaters, and they would relocate managers from other cities. They also had a couple guys that would come in and train people in the booths.

Their main office has been moved to Chicago.

Rick

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-13-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whose theaters are they buying in Denver?

My limited experience with seeing movies at Kerasotes properties has been that they're no worse than any of the other major exhibitors. I don't recall anything standing out as being better or unique about them.

But it's been a few years.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-13-2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
Was the the theater located on 'the square' of Canton?
Yes, Allison! That's it. Valerie was the manager there around '94, '95... I wish I could remember her last name. But she was a real sweetie. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2007 06:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes is buying up Colorado Cinemas, who bought up Mann Theaters. They have their own score of techs and their own local "corporate office" since the current company does not reach out of Colorado. Obviously a lot of the "corporate" people will lose their jobs. Mann had theaters with names like "Mann Chinese 16 at Arapahoe Crossing". Colorado Cinema came in and the name was changed to "Chinese Theater". Creative bunch they are. No external company name is visible on any of their theaters, which means they went in with the intention of selling. Will the place be renamed once more to "Showplace 16"?

How do you pronounce "Kerasotes"? Is it Care-uh-sotes or is it Care-uh-so-tees? Every time I see the name, I think "Kerosene". Are Kerasotes theaters more flammable than others?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-13-2007 07:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Care-uh-so-tess

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2007 10:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unacceptable. They should have a far more generic-sounding name like "General Cinemas".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: