Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » James Ezell

Author Topic: James Ezell
Roger Frazee
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2007 12:43 PM      Profile for Roger Frazee   Email Roger Frazee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is with sadness that I report the passing of Jim Ezell.

Jim was a pioneer in the theatre business, and was a mentor to many technicians and engineers in the industry. Many of us remember Jim from his years with Xetron and Nuemade. A few of us have been around long enough to remember him from his days with RCA, and Loraine Carbons. He was a friend and teacher to all who knew him, and he will be greatly missed.

Flowers can be sent to:

Stith Funeral Home
7500 Route 42
Florence, KY 41042

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-08-2007 03:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is tragic news, Roger. Just terrible.

Jim was the one who got me into the service end of the business, back in the late 70s. His personal recommendation on my first applications to RCA and Altec made me feel supremely priviledged. It was watching him work in my booth at the Sky-Vue Drive-In, Winchester, KY -- on the first sound call I was ever a participant in -- that ignited my interest in service work. Jim had just left Carbons, Inc.

I always admired Jim. He was one of the truly brilliant minds in this industry. He could align a lamphouse by eye (on the screen), better than anyone I've ever seen do with the latest tools and jigs. He never failed to amaze me. His knowledge and experience was without peer.

He always had a smile and a laugh. God bless him.

May the Lord be with his family and friends during this sad time.

There will never be another like Jim Ezell.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-08-2007 03:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the great pleasure of working with Jim when he was with Xetron a number of times wringing out motor problems in the Prevost P-93. No one ever impressed me more with instantly available knowledge than Jim did, he was one of true geniuses in this industry!! He will be missed by the many folks out there who knew and worked with him. I agree with what Tim said.... "There will never be another like him".

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-09-2007 08:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim was a good friend and it is a testimony to him that "they don't make 'em like that anymore."

Truly he is proof that there is no substitute for experience.

(I am so old that I servioed Kentucky Theatre, Danville, KY for Jim's DAD!!!! who was the operator and was well into his 80's.) Louis

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure sorry about Jim`s passing. He was a great friend and as we were both ex RCA men we had a lot in common.Jim was a great hand on early day RCA tv projectors and damn near anything else. A fine mechanic.I`ll miss him. God, I`m so damned old I`m losing all my friends.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-10-2007 10:57 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim's Obituary

JAMES I. EZELL

FLORENCE
- James I. Ezell, 76, died Saturday at Hospice Care Center at St. Luke Hospital East, Fort Thomas.

He was a field engineer for Xetron and member of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Ezell; daughters, Peggy DeStefano and Tammy Hobbs; sons, Michael, Joseph and James C. Ezell; sister, Christine Bottom; brother, Jerry Ezell; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Visitation will be 4-8 p.m. today and service will be 1 p.m. Wednesday at Stith Funeral Home, Florence. Entombment will be in Floral Hills Memorial Gardens Mausoleum, Taylor Mill.

Memorials: Hospice of the Bluegrass-Northern Kentucky, 1403 Alexandria Pike, Fort Thomas, KY 41075.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 02:26 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to mention that Mr. Ezell's name sounds so familar to me -and I do not know why.

I am from the Cincinnati area and back in 1995 I worked for National Amusements in Cincy. I keep thinking I knew him around that time? Maybe I knew his son?

I also worked for Regal too, from 1996 to 2000 - maybe I knew him when I worked in Knoxville?

Sorry - it's one of those wierd things that have been bothering me since I saw this post. I know Roger Frazee and John Durliat from my Regal days - maybe it's a sixth degree of separation thing.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-12-2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis: one of his sons is a field engineer for regal in East Florida. Jim, himself, lived quite near the Showcase Erlanger.Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: