Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fastest Indian film inspires motorcycle comeback

Author Topic: Fastest Indian film inspires motorcycle comeback
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In todays New Zealand Herald, is a report stating that new models of the Indian motorcycle will be made later this year after having been out of production for half a century. The story of Burt Munro as depicted in "The World's Fastest Indian" inspired Steve Heese and Stephen Julius who saw a preview of the film, to start production in their North Carolina plant. They have bought the tooling to manufacture the distinctive parts and intellectual property rights including trademark, engineering and design specifications. Unlike Burt's, I bet it won't reach 306km per hour (190 mph). The new model will be called the Chief and will cost about US$30,000.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-04-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is one of the new prototypes during a recent test drive.

-

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 11:20 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad is OBSESSED with that movie. I'm sure he'll be taking 30Gs out of his retirement fund just to get one [Roll Eyes] He's 64 years old, already has two motorcycle. My Mom and I already a scared shitless when he rides them, I don't need him to be on one inspired by that movie haha

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-04-2007 11:41 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if I was 64 and was obsessed with a movie called the worlds fastest kawasaki, I too would probably take out 30G if I found out they were making them again.

But then again, I already have two bikes, and one of them is a kawasaki, and I have FAR from 30G in my retirement fund.

But then again again, let the guy have his dream. As an old legend up her put it, "Whaddya want? to be the richest person in the graveyard?"

JJ

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 03:57 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indian has been making the 'new' Chief for a few years in the States...

I think they've been building again for at least the last five years...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2007 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
My Dad is OBSESSED with that movie
Its a great movie with a pretty good message too. "Follow your dream before you're too old to do it." I think your dad is in the catch up mode! If he's ever out here to run his bike on the Salt Flats be sure to connect him up with me as I can show him most of the locations used in the film.

Mark

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 10:07 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
Indian has been making the 'new' Chief for a few years in the States
He just told me that this morning after tell him this story. He said that last new 'Chiefs' that were made in America were around 2001, before the new company went belly up. He also said they cost around 30G as well.

My dad has a very long history of racing cars/motorcycles/whatever. If and when he ever tries his luck out on the salt flats, I will definatly get a hold of you Mark!

[ 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Allison Parsons ]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-10-2007 03:42 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone bought the Indian trademark and started making motorcycles, basically kit bikes with S&S Harley-clone engines and generic frames, adding the trademark indian head front ornament and impractical fenders.
Indian Motorcycle fans - of the old Indians that is - pretty much ignored the new company. New buyers didn't buy many of them either, the Indian brand name apparently doesn't detumesce the V2 fans like "Harley Davidson" does.
From my information most of the company profits came from licensing the Indian trademark for clothing and knick-knacks, and they opened a few clothing store/coffeshop/bike showrooms (in that order, finding a motorcycle salesman was a chore). This didn't add up to enough to keep the Indian Motorcycle Company afloat and plans to produce a completely in-house bike or even engine fell through.
The company went bankrupt leaving owners without any warranty and with several safety recalls impossible to correct.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: