Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Free itunes m4p to mp3 converter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Free itunes m4p to mp3 converter
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-03-2007 03:10 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know a good free converter that can handle those pesky itunes files and convert them to normal mp3 or other unprotected audio formats?

BTW, do you also have the problem that itunes sometimes takes literally minutes to start up? Somtetimes, or actually *most* of the time, when I use itunes, I doubleclick on the symbol and it doesn't start. When I doubleclick several times, it eventually shows up after 2 minutes or so. Yes, I have de- and reinstalled itunes completely and I have the latest version. Very strange.

|  IP: Logged

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 01-03-2007 03:30 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Runs fine on my Mac and PC.

When I import CDs into iTunes I have it set to be compressed as mp3 so I don't have do it later. I haven't come across any actual freeware conversions. But the ghetto approach I take with protected files is burning the audio file on to a CD then import the CD into iTunes. I have plenty of blank CDs so burning them isn't that big of a deal to me, just fill up the entire CD. It gives me a hard copy of the files if I ever need a backup for whatever reasons.

Peter Brown
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 03:52 AM      Profile for Peter Brown   Email Peter Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

Do you have a large iTunes library? It can take a while to start up as it has to load and parse the library XML file, which for a sizable library (>100GB) is about 30MB. It does rather sound as though you've got another problem, though.

If it was my library, I'd back it all up sharpish, then delete the XML files, and get iTunes to regenerate them (it'll do it automatically on startup if they don't exist, I think). That might help, though it's a black art at times. [Confused]

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 07:41 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iTunes takes a long time to start up when my iPod is plugged in. For some reason, it's always updating hundreds of files on the iPod, even if nothing changed from the previous time it was plugged in. If I eject and plug it back in, same thing. Once it begins updating, iTunes runs fine. iTunes just takes a long time when it first begins to sync with my iPod. I figured it might have something to do with the fact that I don't have any USB 2.0 ports. Try starting iTunes with your iPod unplugged. Mine starts fine when I do that.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-06-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1067 days since the last post.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm loooking for a converter program to basically to the exact opposite. I'm looking for a converter that will convert either MP3's or WMA's to MP4 or M4a.

My son has a Nintendo DSi, and it will only play MP4's or M4a's. We don't do I-tunes. We rip from our own store-bought CD's.

All the ones I can find on-line will only convert 20% - 50% of the file, then hold the rest hostage until you pay $19.95 or more. Any suggestions...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easiest I use is Quick Media Converter.

http://cocoonsoftware.com/

Don't click on the sponsor link by mistake. Version 4.0.0.0 is downloadable from the link on the left.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2009 10:25 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John....
On behalf of my 9 year old son... Thank You - Thank You, Thank You! [thumbsup]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-07-2009 12:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure. [Cool]

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 10:24 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
We don't do I-tunes. We rip from our own store-bought CD's.
You can rip your own store-bought CDs using iTunes. And iTunes can easily convert audio file formats. And iTunes is free. The phrase "We don't do iTunes" almost implies that it's poison or something. There's no reason to be afraid of iTunes.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-07-2009 10:53 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think iTunes is a pain the ass because it tries to "own" and then hide your music files. It's also a pain because of its odd synchronizing behaviors. Delete a music file off your iPod in the wrong way and iTunes will delete every instance of it from your library.

At least with the other "media players" out there you can see and manage your individual music files in Apple's Finder or Windows Explorer.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-07-2009 11:14 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it's bizarre how sometimes you could have added files to itunes then when you sync, it suddenly starts copying over a bunch of other songs that were never updated/changed.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't dispute your difficulties with iTunes, except to say that I haven't had those problems myself. I've been using iTunes for over 8 years, so I started before the first iPod was even available! It's still the software I prefer to organize my music files. I can sympathize with the notion that once you're used to organizing using specific software it's really, really annoying to try to switch to organizing with different software. And that's the main reason I eventually bought an iPod rather than some other company's portable MP3 player.

I wouldn't say that iTunes "owns" my music files. I can find them easily in the "My Music" folder anyway, but I don't need to. Between iTunes and the iPod, everthing is where I can use it. And did I mention that it does a great job of converting file formats?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried ITunes, and I just didn't like how it worked. I now use the pay version of MEDIA MONKEY which handles everything I can throw at it. I'm very happy with it.

There is a free version that does almost everything the pay version does.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use VideoLan as my media player

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: