Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Godfather of Soul is Dead (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Godfather of Soul is Dead
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-25-2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James Brown died today from complications of severe pneumonia. Late reports say he suffered a heart attack from the physical stress and died of congestive heart failure.

Pretty sad news for Christmas Day.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-25-2006 10:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sad indeed. In addition to me enjoying his performance in "The Blues Brothers", my favorite tunes of his are "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" and "I Got You (I Feel Good)".

RIP Jim!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-25-2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard about his hospitalization yesterday, and now shock at this terrible news... [Frown]
James Brown was a genre unto himself. What a fantastic entertainer this man was.

His music always made us "feel good"!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2006 10:44 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't grow up in the JB era, but whiel his music was good, seems taht he just could not let go of his by gone popularity... even after becoming, what most would say, a washed up, has been... [Eek!]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-26-2006 06:19 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw him in the 60s with an all-black audience. Never saw anything since to compare. Raw energy & power; no special audio or effects; just JB himself, Shure 55 mike, 60 watt amplifier and 5000 energized fans. Louis

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a JB fan for years...Hip-Hop in particular owed him a great debt of gradititude.

Sex Machine, Get Up Off of that Thing, Papa Don't Take No Mess, the big hits Phil mentioned, were all great tunes.

And I always enjoyed Eddie Murphy's impersonation of JB on SNL:

James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub Party

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2006 09:26 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It definately was sad to hear that James Brown passed away. He was truely the Godfather of Soul and my singing inspiration. May he rest in peace.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure his ex-wife who he pushed down a flight of stairs isn't missing him too much.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the great pleasure of twice enjoying James Brown's performances at the Apollo Theater about 1970. The mostly black audience contained families with children, and though some of his jokes were a bit raunchy, the kids had a ball. Brown was always one with his audience, and radiated proud, positive vibes.

It's at the same Apollo, his most appreciative home, where his body will lie for viewing by his fans.

While at his legal residence, his widow was denied admission because she did not have a marriage license.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2006 09:09 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9-15-06
quote:
I think the reason that this hasn't turned into the bitch fest the other thread has, is because the a-holes in that thread haven't heard of this guy.
9-24-06
quote:
Let's see if the aholes can turn this thread into the shit fest like the Irwin one.
12/27/2006
quote: Mike Heenan
I'm sure his ex-wife who he pushed down a flight of stairs isn't missing him too much.
It's good to see you practice what you preach.

I never cared much for JB, but his influence on performance is obvious. Not being a fan, does anyone know how much of his own lyrics/music he wrote?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-30-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn...

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2006 09:57 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Phil, lol. [thumbsup]

Thank god I made you waste time checking through old threads for my comments, Chad. I posted that trying to see if this thread would go the route of the Irwin thread, but apparently not yet... are the assholes still on Christmas vacation? [Wink] [Big Grin]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-31-2006 04:28 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were showing footage of his memorial service on tv today. It was nice to see that people were getting off that thing and dancing till they felt better.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but could Phil be poking fun at you, Mike, for taking the time to interject the sleep graemlin in threads you don't find interesting rather than just ignoring them?

But seriously, I'm curious if anyone knows how much of the music and lyric writing Brown did. I mean, I know that Take a Look at Those Cakes was a masterpiece and all, so I was curious if he gets the credit of if he had his own Bernie Taupin behind the scenes.

John Alan Petrey
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2006 11:05 AM      Profile for John Alan Petrey   Email John Alan Petrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[fu]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: