Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fixing a Razr phone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Fixing a Razr phone?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Motorola Razr v3 phone that I've dropped one too many times, and now when I type a text message it freezes up. I can dial a number, but the only thing that seems to be affected is typing any letters. I've tried downloading variuos programs to try to fix it like motokit but the program says the phone isn't connected (I can connect through motorolas phone tools program to transfer pics etc). Is there a good program out there that's easy to use for cell tards like myself?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-22-2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to fix a cellular phone is like trying to take a sick hamster to the vet.

You'll spend lots of time and money trying to save it but it's probably going to die anyway.

Download all your "stuff" from it and get another phone before yours dies.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 11:23 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not in a contract anymore, a new phone would be the way to go. If you like the Razr design, but not the flimsy construction, look into the the LG VX8600 if you're a Verizon customer. It's similar to a Chocolate (I believe the VX8500), but it has the clamshell design. The phone seems to be well built and call quality is good. I've had one for a couple weeks now.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the slim design of it, and the cost to me : $0... lol (brother got it for me from a friend). My contract (I took over my brothers) ran out last month with Tmobile, and I dont wish to do another contract so I'm going with the pay as you go plan 1000 minutes for $100 which is good for 1 year. I dont use it all that much so this plan is good for me. Considering how much phones cost if you DON'T sign up for a contract at the same time, I'd like to try to fix this one first. Everything is ok other than the text messaging, which I can really live without, but it'd still be nice to fix.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-22-2006 11:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that Razrs (gotta love that hip, trendy teenage spelling) are some of the worst cell phones you can buy. They don't have a good record for being well built, long lasting phones from what I hear.

Get a real cell phone.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 12-23-2006 01:33 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try doing a second level reset on the phone(*do NOT turn off the phone first* leave the phone on and take the battery out from the back of the phone, wait about 30 seconds, put the battery back and then turn your phone back on. Test it out. Also, as mentioned above, save all important data to your SIM card before doing a second level reset. Do NOT get a used/refurbished phone, please refrain from doing such things.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2006 03:09 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at the movies a few weeks ago, someone sitting in front of sat on their Razr. We heard them cussing over it being bent in half once the show was over. I don't think they're very well made to begin with.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2006 05:28 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine who manages a cell phone store has nothing but bad things to say about them.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2006 09:48 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have had nothing but good experiences with the phone before I dropped it. It also suits my needs, talking and texting occasionally, and taking the occasional picture. I dont use it to surf the net or download ringtones, etc, so in those regards it's a great phone and besides it was free. I'll try what JP suggested and hopefully that will take care of my problems.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2006 02:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Razrs ... don't have a good record for being well built, long lasting phones
The way everyone gets a new phone every 10 days or so, there's no need for them to be well built or long lasting, is there?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-23-2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. People are retarded.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2006 03:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to switch to Cingular when they bought out AT&T a year or so ago... I happened to be there the day they got in the new tiny Pantech PG-C300 phones so I got one and absolutely love it. Great phone except the buttons are almost too small for my fingers! I have dropped it by now probably a dozen or so times without even a scratch ending up on the thing. I highly reccomend it if you can tolerate Cingulars crappy service [thumbsdown] .

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-23-2006 03:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wanted to get a Motorola Razr phone, just not any of the truly shitty ones Motorola confines American customers to buy.

Motorola is an American company, right? Then why in the living hell are they doing something so inexcusably fuck-tarded as selling the only good versions of the Razr in Europe and Asia? Not only are they releasing better versions of their phones overseas, they're keeping them from America. Other companies like Nokia are doing the same thing. They also seem to be in collusion with American cellphone companies on this as well. This sort of thing is adding another competitive disadvantage against the United States relating to faster technology rollout in Europe and Asia.

European and Asian customers can actually buy a Razr phone with removable memory card slot. There's one that supports iTunes. Cingular was supposed to start offering the Razr "V3i" to customers in America MORE THAN A YEAR AGO. That has still never happened.

In the end I just gave up and bought something else, the Samsung SGH-D807 phone. I've had it for a few months and believe it is still the best general purpose phone available through Cingular. All the Razr models Cingular carries are just pathetic. The Samsung SGH-D807 can do just about anything Verizon's Chocolate phone does. It has a MicroSD card slot, very good Bluetooth support and a lot of other stuff. It has as big a color display as the Razr phone too. The only bad thing about the phone is the slider design (if you hate sliders). I would have preferred a clamshell design, but all of Cingular's flip phone suck too much ass to tolerate. My only real complaint about the SGH-D807 is the call volume is a bit low. If your hearing isn't really good then avoid getting this phone.

Why did I have to go with Cingular? I had to sign up with Cingular's network since all my family and most of my other relatives are signed up with them. All our office mobile phones and the personal mobile phones of most of my co-workers are all on Cingular.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2006 04:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Cingular Razr phone and I've had no issues with it's reliability. I do however have a problem with the phenomenal screw job I got a few times over from Cingular. I don't feel like going into it right now, but suffice it to say Cingular has got to be the worst cell phone provider out there in terms of changing prices and policies. I plan on dumping them in Feb/March when my contract runs out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Cingular has got to be the worst cell phone provider out there in terms of changing prices and policies.
Brad,

You must have also recently gotten a text message from them that they are goimng to charge .15 per text message you send starting next month. Indeed Cingular is little more than a joke! The Pantech phone is great but go to another provider! I'll also be changing providers but not till next September.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: