Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Woman sends baby through airport x-ray scanner

Author Topic: Woman sends baby through airport x-ray scanner
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-22-2006 05:52 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Story here - pretty long and so won't copy all of it, but the gist of this story (LA Times, 21 December 2006) is that a non-English speaking passenger leaving Los Angeles on a flight to Mexico put her baby son in one of those plastic trays one would normally put one's bag or laptop in, then sent him through the x-ray machine along with the baggage.

What a moron! Sorry, but I don't buy the 'me no speak English' excuse. She must have known what the luggage scanner machines look like, do and are designed for use with from having been through airports with signs in Spanish; not least the one she left on her outbound trip to LA. Just as you think people can't get any dumber...

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 09:30 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to LA since '92, but you'd think that espicially in a place like LA, they'd have signs in English and Spanish.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-22-2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but at least we know the baby wasn't concealing any explosives!

[Razz]

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Yeah, but at least we know the baby wasn't concealing any explosives!"

I think that would all depend on what the little sucker Had for Lunch!- [Razz]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-22-2006 02:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's TERRIBLE...ly... Funny! [Big Grin]

[ 12-22-2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Randy Stankey ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-22-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James R. Hammonds, Jr
I haven't been to LA since '92, but you'd think that espicially in a place like LA, they'd have signs in English and Spanish.
I visited last summer and was struck by the extent to which it is effectively a bilingual city. Not at all surprising given that the border's only a couple of hundred miles to the south - you get a similar intermixing of languages around the land borders of western European countries - but as my only real previous knowledge of Southern California had been its depiction in Hollywood films, it was still a bit of a surprise. If I ever get the chance to visit again I'll certainly try and learn the basics (if only going through a tourists' phrasebook and CD) first.

As for the baby, I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to think up a sick joke which involves Litvinenko and/or polonium 210, but failed miserably. Oh well...

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the baby picked up scan-denavian

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 10:11 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see that the baby wasn't conceiling any box cutters or anything.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-23-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit perplexed why this was a big deal. The radiation you get from running through a luggage X ray machine is not very significant. Sure, don't do it every day, but...

I don't understand why they rushed the baby to the hospital, etc., etc. Panic?

It might've been more intriguing if the baby was actually smuggling contraband.

--jhawk

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-23-2006 09:36 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
What a moron! Sorry, but I don't buy the 'me no speak English' excuse. She must have known what the luggage scanner machines look like, do and are designed for use with from having been through airports with signs in Spanish; not least the one she left on her outbound trip to LA. Just as you think people can't get any dumber...
Well, Leo, there's also a lot of people in Mexico who apparently don't know that sex without contraceptives can get people pregnant. That's why they usually have about 7 children by their early to mid 20s.

quote:
I visited last summer and was struck by the extent to which it is effectively a bilingual city. Not at all surprising given that the border's only a couple of hundred miles to the south - you get a similar intermixing of languages around the land borders of western European countries -

Yes, but the difference is that in such regions as, e.g. Tyrolia on the border between Austria and Italy, most of the people speak German AND Italian, whereas a lot of the both legal and illegal immigrants speak ONLY Spanish.

but as my only real previous knowledge of Southern California had been its depiction in Hollywood films, it was still a bit of a surprise.

What? How boring LA is in reality?

If I ever get the chance to visit again I'll certainly try and learn the basics (if only going through a tourists' phrasebook and CD) first.

I can see why that has been very frustrating for you. I can also see why it may be very difficult for many Americans to understand a Yorkshire lad.
But if you just try to speak a little more slowly and clearly and avoid exotic vocabulary like "bollocks!", you may not even need the phrase book!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: