Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The RIP thread - post your obituary notices here

Author Topic: The RIP thread - post your obituary notices here
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-19-2006 03:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry in advance to moderators if you think this is a bad idea, but since we frequently get '[Insert name here] has died' threads with only a small number of posts accumulating on them, I thought this might be a better bet.

Joseph Barbera dies, aged 95:

quote: BBC Online obituary
oseph Barbera, one half of the team behind such cartoon classics as The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Scooby-Doo and Huckleberry Hound, has died, aged 95.

He died of natural causes at home with his wife, Sheila, at his side.

With William Hanna, Barbera founded Hanna-Barbera in the 1950s, after the pair had earlier worked on the Tom and Jerry cartoons at MGM studios.

"Joe will live on through his work," said Warner Brothers chairman and chief executive Barry Meyer.

"The characters he created with his late partner, William Hanna, are not only animated superstars but also a very beloved part of American pop culture," Mr Meyer said.

Barbera grew up in Brooklyn, New York and started to pursue a career in banking.

But his amateur sketches soon became the raw material for cartoons which were published in Collier's magazine, a breakthrough which then took him into animation.

He met Hanna at the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film studio, where they collaborated on a 1937 cartoon called Puss Gets the Boot, which led to the creation of cat-and-mouse duo Tom and Jerry.

Their 17-year partnership on the Tom and Jerry series resulted in seven Academy Awards and 14 nominations in total.

The pair left MGM and formed Hanna-Barbera Studios in 1957, where they created numerous classic characters, including The Jetsons and The Flintstones.

Hanna-Barbera extended cartoons beyond the traditional six-minute slots.

The Flintstones, featuring two modern-minded couples living in the stone age, was the first animated series to be broadcast on prime-time television.

In the decades that followed, Hanna-Barbera produced 300 cartoon series, with more than 3,000 half-hour shows.

Scooby-Doo, a Great Dane who leads a group of teenagers in ghost-hunting adventures, made his debut in 1969 and the series ran for 17 years, a record for a TV animated series.

"They were able to bring top quality cartoon shows to television," said actor Casey Kasem, the voice of Shaggy, Scooby-Doo's unkempt sidekick.

"When they came along and they did it, they made it profitable for people who were big investors," he told the BBC.

"It's a legacy that he has that has touched people around the world with what I call magic, they just kept producing one great show after another."

Following Hanna's death in 2001, Joseph Barbera remained active as an executive producer for Warner Brothers Animation on TV series such as What's New, Scooby-Doo? and Tom and Jerry Tales.

I thought Puss Gets the Boot was later than 1937, but am probably misremembering...

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Mr. Barbera's biography. Its full of trivia about the company, etc. I would have liked to have met him.

Puss Gets The Boot was made in 1940.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2006 10:13 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if we are going to have a thread like this it should be a sticky thread so it doesn't get lost in all the other posts. Just a thought

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-19-2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A generic RIP thread is a bad idea, because if, say, Phil Hill were to kick the bucket, it would cause 12 pages of discussion over whether he went to heaven or hell. Whereas if, say, Jim Miars (great projectionist at our theatre back in the day) died, I might post it because I knew him, but others wouldn't feel the need to post. Therefore a lot of decent people might get "lost in the shuffle" so to speak. I vote for individual dead-person threads. That way you can read it or not, your choice.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-19-2006 01:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point taken - I'd just noticed quite a few obit threads with only one or two responses recently, that's all.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-19-2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Mike, to help ya out with your example: I had a dream the other night that I "kicked-the-bucket" and went to my final reward.

Then I woke up and saw my electric blanket was set too high. [thumbsup] [Razz]

BTW, I agree about separate threads for obits for the reasons you point out.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2006 04:09 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I didn't know they made Magic Fingers blankets. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: