Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Resolution of scanned prints? > OT: Frame rate discussion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Resolution of scanned prints? > OT: Frame rate discussion
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A debate came up recently on my blog.

Me: Film has a higher resolution than digital projection. (He agrees, but neither of us is sure exactly what the "resolution" of film is.)

Him: Most films are digitally scanned for editing, and the resolution of film prints afterwards is limited to the resolution of the scanned version. Therefore, film and digital projection have essentially the same amount of resolution.

Me: Sure, movies are edited in the digital realm, but once the edits are finalized, don't they go back and edit on film itself?

Who's right?

Thanks in advance for any information.

[ 12-24-2006, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-17-2006 07:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Him. But it really only counts when special effects are involved to my knowledge. Movie image quality pretty much sucks these days, along with movies themselves. That's one of many reason I don't go to theaters any more. Home theater is better in every respect these days.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Sounds like stuff for a FAQ.

Imagery on a 4-perf 35mm original negative on a major film production will have a lot more native resolution than what a typical 2K digital projector can show.

We're talking about a film strip that goes through a very expensive 35mm camera system outfitted with very expensive lens systems. When the cinematography is done very well, a 4-perf 35mm original negative may have as much as 24 million pixels of real image detail.

Not all of that detail is going to get to the movie theater screen due to generational loss that happens in the film print making process. But when the job is done right, you're going to get a good bit more that the 2 million pixels boasted by 1080p HDTV.

The general consensus is 4K digital projection would come a lot closer to equaling the detail of a 35mm print shown under optimum conditions. A 'scope image in 4K would be 4096 X 1716 -a little over 7 million pixels.

A growing number of film productions are having the original camera negatives, or an inter-negative or inter-positive, scanned into computer systems to do all the post processing work. The computer files are referred to as a digital intermediate, or "DI" for short.

Digital intermediates have a number of advantages. It's easier to adjust color, contrast and alter specific areas of the image. The "analog" methods of color timing a film print or using processes like bleach bypass affected the entire image globally. 3D CGI special effects sequences can be composited into a digital intermediate far easier than having to output elements to send to an optical printer.

All that convenience and speed comes at a price: resolution bottleneck.

When a movie is put through a digital intermediate step, it's native resolution is dumped down to the format of that DI file. Right now 2K seems to be the de facto standard. That's due in part to most CGI effects being produced at 2K quality. Lots of movie studios think that standard is good enough.

When a 'scope movie is put through a 2K DI process, the file ends up with 2048 X 858 pixels. That's it. It won't matter if you see the movie in 35mm or 2K digital projection. There's only so much native detail encoded into the DI.

Some movies are processed with 4K quality digital intermediates. But that's pretty rare.

Right now we're seeing a pretty aggressive trend of advancement in computer CPUs, graphics GPUs, memory technology and file storage. Perhaps at some point all that extra brute force computing power will make 4K economical enough for Hollywood to finally embrace it across the board and finally abandon the slightly better than 1080p HD 2K standard.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-17-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Teh Bobby
It won't matter if you see the movie in 35mm or 2K digital projection.
Yes it will. On average, the digital image will be much more stable and have better light (35mm projectors are usually drastically underlit). You don't get "high speed printing jitters" which is shakiness that's on the print itself (at least from the digital cinema that I've seen) combined with the shakiness of most under-maintained projectors in todays theaters. How many great, well maintained film theaters are there? Very, very few. Is everyone who participates here at Film-Tech an exception to the overwhelmingly large amount of poor theaters? HELL NO!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2006 08:58 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are some movies these days that do not use the DI process?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2006 10:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. It seems like every current major movie release I bother to do a search regarding digital intermediate turns out to have used DI. Very few reveal whether 4K DI, featuring quadruple the number of pixels, was used. I'm guessing if they don't mention 4K then they did the good enough 2K thing.

BTW, I should have clarified or better stated that "it won't matter if you see it in 35mm or digital."

There is an assumption that 35mm film based projection will show more image detail than 2K digital projection. But if a 2K digital intermediate is used then the differences in image sharpness for either format is thrown out the window even on the best 35mm projection setups. Basically, if a 2K DI was used, you're better off watching the movie in digital projection.

Perhaps that's one of the points in strategy for distributors to push digital projection to theaters. Give the theaters a 35mm print with image quality that's only so good -and with the jitter and other stuff from high speed printing- and theaters will end up going 2K digital.

I still think the industry wide act of settling on the 2K standard for DI, CGI and projection is a hazardous act that makes theaters vulnerable. I know the bit rates for digital projection is a lot greater than HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. But I don't think there's enough of a difference on absolute pixel count to avoid lots of home viewers drawing the conclusion their home HDTV setup is just as good as that 2K theater.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the films featured in Kodak's Film Notes were scanned at 4K when DI was involved.

I don't have the same problem with film quality. Perhaps it is because the majority of the films we screen are not special effects-laden epics.

Some of the Australian and European films look brilliant on the screen - possibly they don't have the budgets to include a lot of special effects.

However, it is my understanding that 4K DI has become standard for editing.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-18-2006 07:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is usually missing from this type of discussion is that a) there isn't one, single thing called "film" (8mm != 70mm, Kodak != Fuji, modern cameras/lenses != old cameras/lenses etc.) and b) there is more to image quality than resolution (consider greyscale/color depth, lossy compression, jump and weave, etc.).

DI seems to be popular for big-budget productions, but is very rarely used for smaller, low-budget films. Also, pretty much anything made more than a few years ago would predate the use of DI.

Hey, Joe, why do you hate film so much?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-18-2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't, I hate the shitty job theaters do and the crappy way that 98% of them are maintained. Digital cinema remedies this somewhat.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Curran
However, it is my understanding that 4K DI has become standard for editing.
That's actually not the case. 2K is still very much the de facto standard. 4K is still rarely used. The Da Vinci Code is one of the few recent films that have used an all 4K process.

Spiderman 2 was the first major release to do use an all 4K digital intermediate.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-18-2006 06:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Resolution for editing is, what, 720 x 480? It's television monitors.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Avid has a number of different work flows for film editing. Video is often used as a proxy to get the cuts trimmed just right. When everyone is absolutely happy with the editing scheme then the cut sequence is actually applied to the film strips.

One nice thing about digital intermediate is the editing cuts are not destructive to the original film elements. You're just editing a glorified high bit rate digital video file.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe "Match Point" did not have a DI.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2006 02:59 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I heard a resolution of 35mm film was over 10 years ago, it was 3300 lines of resolution. Kodak have spent over $1 000 000 000 dollars improving it since then. In reality its the quality of the lens, a prime is sharper than a zoom. Low asa film stocks have better definition.

Unfortunatly Kodaks improvements have been squanded on set, higher asa stocks alow less light to be used for speed on set, therefore quicker production.

The digital interneg is scanned of the original neg, in the traditional aproach, Image quality was lost in the lab as copies were made, internegs ect. final print neg ect and generation loss occured at each stage

16 mm looks much better today transfered digitally to 35mm, rather than going through the optical blow up stage ect in the olden days.

In Australia, ten canoes was our first 4K interneg, it look pretty good to me on 35mm.

At the end of the day, Image from the computer is then transfered electronically back to film.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-19-2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Camera lenses and film stocks do indeed have an enormous effect on image sharpness and color quality.

Most major film productions using Panavision or Arri packages usually have really great lens systems that accompany them. It's a somewhat common occurrence for a director of photography to have some lenses custom made and have others improved in order to get the desired camera shot.

Now film stocks are another matter. Kodak has some really great, vividly colorful stocks. However the trend in style for the past few years has been this sort of muted, green-ish and often grainy kind of thing. You lose some native resolution and a lot of color quality with fast ASA stocks. I suppose a lot of directors feel it is more important to eliminate any camera blur on things in motion instead.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: