Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pre-feature cartoons coming back on Disney films (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Pre-feature cartoons coming back on Disney films
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-04-2006 10:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the Internet Movie Database news section on 12/4. (www.imdb.com) (I think this is great news, but my biggest wish is for Warner Bros. to do it with old Looney Tunes.)

Cartoon shorts, once a staple of movie shows (they gradually faded away following the advance of television in the 1950s), are being revived by the Walt Disney Co. under the prodding of Pixar's John Lasseter, the New York Times reported Sunday. Disney producer Don Hahn told the newspaper, "Shorts have always been a wellspring of techniques, ideas and young talent. It's exactly what Walt did, because it's a new studio now, with new talent coming up -- as it should. I think the shorts program can really grow this studio." The new cartoons will be screened with Disney films, Hahn said. "You pay your 10 bucks to see a movie," he remarked, "and you get a surprise you hadn't counted on."

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 03:32 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, good news [thumbsup]

Now who should we email at Warner Bros?

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 03:42 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news indeed.

Reminds me of a stupid customer I had for Wallace & Gromit who made a big scene in the lobby when she realized the movie had an animated short attached to it. She claimed she didn't have all day to watch the movie, and was too busy being a bitch to listen to my assurance that the running time we had quoted her earlier INCLUDED the short and all pre-feature trailers and ads. [Roll Eyes]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've been wanting that. I've always said, if I get my own theatre, or have authorization to do it at one I'm at, I'd find a way to run prefeature cartoons.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the days when Kit Parker Films was distributing the Looney Tunes, we played them for about 9 months. We'd book them three at a time and play each cartoon for two weeks. It was expensive though...they overcharged for shipping. And as you might guess, print quality was iffy. But people sure loved seeing those toons on the big screen.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-05-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we could do a similar type of thing with regular movies aimed mostly at adults. There's lots of great live action short subject movies that get made every year. And few people ever get to see them.

One thing getting in the way of cartoons and short films being stuck ahead of movies is all the TV commercials and countless movie trailers already killing over 20 minutes of time.

If I ran an art house oriented theater I'd definitely try to play 1 short film ahead of the feature.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-05-2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
if I get my own theatre, or have authorization to do it at one I'm at, I'd find a way to run prefeature cartoons.

I always did, at my drive-in "hobby" jobs. Usually the cartoons were from my personal collection, but occasionally I'd get some on loan from other collectors, like Justin West.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 10:24 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no collection, but I did seriusly think about grabbing those Star Trek shows in 35, to play here, but I'm not rich.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great news, but what makes it better is that I've heard that one of those shorts is going to be a new Goofy how to short on "How to Hook Up a Home Theater." Now my question is, do we get a CGI Goofy or the Goofy we all know and love?

AJG

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [Big Grin] [Smile] [Cool]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get a stop motion animated cardboard figure of Goofy. Like on those PBS kids shows. Yay! Just kidding, I hope it's your traditional drawn cartoon.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 02:04 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CGI is killing animation. I believe that animator studios now are "attacking" the older audience instead of the young ones. Remember Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, Alladin? Those were animated for all ages! Now the new ones, the CGI dreadfull ones, have catchy lines only an adult would understand like the Matrix reference and Spiderman reference in the Shrek films! Do young kids know those films? Absolutely not. Are the scenes attractive to the older audience? Perfectly yes. It's sad that neither Disney nor Dreamworks are working on traditional cartoons and invest on countless hours of rendering. That is why I've always loved Manga/Japanese animation.
Demetris

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 02:32 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manga and Japanimation or Cheapanimation as I call it is what most cartoons out are now based on. While it has cool effects, the animation itself is jumpy, and repetative, and the characters are drawn with quick sketch strokes, and heavy lines. All typical of cheap, low quality animation. Even the Flintstones, with the same damned couch passing by over and over as Fred runs, at least looped every 1/2 second or more, rather than anime which repeats the same 2 frames for 10 seconds. Give me traditional animation anyday, even computer assisted animation. CGI is good in it's own right, but not as a replacement for traditional. Anime has little to offer. In my opinion at least, yours may vary, and probably does.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-07-2006 02:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Demetris Thoupis
It's sad that neither Disney nor Dreamworks are working on traditional cartoons and invest on countless hours of rendering.
John Lasseter has said that he would like to see Disney do some traditional animation again. I think it'll happen...once. If the movie is a hit, then it'll happen again. If the movie flops, that'll be that. I just hope whatever they come up with has a good story - at least then it'll have a chance of doing well.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 07:00 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Traditional animation is expensive. Disney's last traditional animated film was "Home on the Range", right?

Cost = $110 million

World Wide Box Office = $103.5 million

Why try it again, if nobody is supporting it? Small budget fare might make a better run at it, but I doubt the billion dollar companies will invest much money in it anymore.

Nobody is interested in paying premium money to watch old technology in a theater. I'm not saying that old school animation (and decent story telling) is no fun, but new school animation (with decent story telling) is an easier sell.

I love "Thundercats", but it's not going to sell out theaters across America, unless Panthor and Snarf are rendered in 3-D. And that would make me vomit, as it would be RAPING my childhood.

And John Lasseter? Director of such movies as "Knick Knack", "Toy Story", "A Bug's Life", "Toy Story 2", "Cars", and the upcoming "Toy Story 3"? Hardly a beacon of hope for those praying for traditional animation to make a comeback.

His last traditional animation credit as a director (from IMDB) was for "Lady and the Lamp" in 1979. EVERYTHING he has done since has been CGI.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: