Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Richard Simmons on David Letterman (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Richard Simmons on David Letterman
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the funniest thing on David Letterman last night!

Richard Simmons was a guest. I don't know if it is just an act, or if Simmons is really that uptight? Letterman was a little on the rude side, kept raggin' on Simmons who seemed to be VERY serious and uptight.

Anyhow, Simmons was promoting a new invention of his...a computerized food steamer. Three seperate sections that would steam 3 different foods at various times so that they would all cook simultaniously and finish at the same time. And since the 3 foods were physically seperated into seperate compartments, then the flavors from steaming would not intermix. Actually not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, Letterman was kind of rude in the matter in which he introduced Simmon's product. Furthermore, Letterman's crew attached Simmon's invention to some type of sub-tray that got all tangled up when Simmon's tried to show it to the audience. Simmons had plugged it in and was doing a demo for the audience on Letterman's desk when, ZAP! The Simmons food steamer caught fire and scared the shit out of both Simmons and Letterman. And you could see that Simmons was quite pissed off by now.

What was even worse was that Simmons brought some thoughtful gifts for Letterman and his new son (some hand-made t-shirts), and Letterman acted like he could care less.

K

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2006 08:50 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 80's, when Letterman was on NBC, he had asked Cher why she refused to book an appearance on his show. "Because you are an asshole, Dave."

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uusually it's just some friendly rivalry. Simmon's would be his normal flamin hyper nut, and Letterman would hose him down with a fire extinguisher. However, from the way you described it, this was more than just play. Odd.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2006 09:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to tell how Letterman really feels about Richard Simmons. He always goes on at length about what a weirdo he is, how goofy he is, etc. and picks on him mercilessly -- yet Simmons keeps going back on the show.

I think the bottom line is, they both know that it results in great TV comedy. Otherwise he would not be invited (or accept an invitation) back on the show.

The steamer gag would never have worked (been funny that is) if Simmons had known about it beforehand. The only screwup was the bottom tray thing fell off while they were putting it on the desk. Simmons will probably sell a million steamers from that appearance, so I doubt he was all that pissed.

As for Letterman's indifference about Simmons' gifts -- that's the same schtick they always do...Simmons plays hero worship, Letterman plays hard-to-get.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-30-2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simmonds is always good theatre; even though a bit smarmy. Louis

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, back in the early 1990's Richard Simmons appeared on Howard Stern's show. I cannot stand Stern, but I was at my friends place and he had Stern on the "bube-tube".

Anyhow, Simmons wanted to prove that he was not a gay "mommas-boy", so he came on Stern's show with his hair combed (not in a perm) in a three piece suit with what appeared to be Penthouse Pets or Playboy Bunnies on each arm. Well, you can imagine that Stern really ripped into him and tried to get him have sex acts with these girls. Stern just kept rippin into him, and eventually Simmons was reduced to tears while sitting between these two hotties.

Another time I saw Simmons on Jay Leno's Tonight Show...many years ago. Besides Simmons, another guest was a famous supermodel who had just appeared as a Playboy Centerfold. Anyhow, here is Simmons sitting next to this girl and ogling over her Playboy layout. Leno started ripping into him, saying such things as..."Richard, why are you bothering with the magazine when the real deal is sitting next to you? Haven't you ever seen a Playboy Centerfold before??" To which Simmons replied "no" and did not know how to react. So, of course Leno started ripping into him.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-30-2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a difference between good-natured banter and personal attacks.

I grew up in a home where there was a lot of banter and, to a point, I think it's funny. But, when banter crosses the line to attacks, I find it very UNfunny!

After seeing Richard Simmons on TV with Letterman several times over they years, I can not believe that there isn't some kind of prearranged script between them, even if it is just a simple improvisational guideline. Why would Simmons appear on Letterman's show, only to be attacked, time after time?

I can't, for the life of me, understand why anybody would think that it's funny to harass Simmons like that! Sure, I think he's weird but that's no reason to attack him that way!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-30-2006 10:50 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure they're both on the same page as far as what occurs on the show.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a little clip of the show in question.
Youtube link

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 08:44 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You usually know what to expect when Richard Simmons appears on Letterman, and the fact that Simmons returns time after time is a clue that there's an understanding between them.

There was a classic moment when a very fey-acting Simmons is watching Letterman take a puff on his cigar, and asks, "Dave, can you teach me how to smoke a cigar?" Letterman crooks his head a little bit with the response you know is coming, "Oh Richard, I think you already know how to smoke a cigar..." Of course, Simmons reacts in drop-jaw shock.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 03:56 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly rigged. Watch the flames -- the fuel source is in the tray. That's SHOW BIZ.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick--

You hit the nail right-on-the-head... these sort of things have
been planned ahead since the days of vaudeville!

[Wink]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simmons was on Sterns show a week ago or so, they seemed to have made up as they had parted ways in the 90s sometime, I guess the last time he was on, they must have went overboard or something. He was hilarious on the old Channel 9 shows when they dangled the chicken in front of the fat chicks, great stuff.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-01-2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
Letterman was a little on the rude side
Not surprised. That's why I stopped watching. Haven't seen him since before he left NBC.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that Conan O Brien will be taking over for Leno. On one hand you have Dave who's an asshole, and then you have Leno who's too kiss assy, COB is always entertaining.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: