Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kramer's "racist" rant (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Kramer's "racist" rant
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 02:30 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Youtube

I don't think he did anything wrong. If a righteous white man were causing a scene at the Apollo then there would have been the exact same reaction. Of course noone would even bat an eyelash at it.

Why should we go out of our way to spare the blacks' feelings? He didn't do anything that black comedians don't do every single time they get on stage. That is true racism, not saying that I am black and I hate you because you are white, or vise versa, but saying that I am black so I deserve to be treated better than you.

Everyone, white, black, mexican, gay, straight, whatever, should have the right to hate anyone that they choose.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-22-2006 03:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 black guys were on the Today show this morning giving their side of the story. They claim they were part of a group of about 15 (mixed race: white, black, asian) that entered the club kind of late and were probably making a little noise while ordering drinks. Richards was on stage at the time. They admitted yelling out "You're not funny, and you've been a failure at everything you've tried since Seinfeld" (claims that are true, but I digress). That's when Richards started. First thing he said was "Tomorrow when I wake up I'll still be rich and famous. You will still be a (n-word)".

There's more to the exchange than what is seen in the video.

In a bizarre twist, the black guys have apparently hired Gloria Allred to "represent" them (whatever that turns out to mean).

Anyway the only real harm done is to Michael Richards' career.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 03:18 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What career?

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Richards & Daniel Carver = KU KLUX KRAMER! [Big Grin]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 04:09 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Tomorrow when I wake up I'll still be rich and famous. You will still be a nigger".
That is the funniest thing I have heard all day.

Again, did he do anything that blacks don't do everyday? No.

If someone is offended by something another person says, it is the problem of the person being offended; NOT the person being offensive.

As for his career, he is still getting checks from seinfeld and probably will do so for another twenty years.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2006 04:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even know he was still doing standup comedy until all this happened.

I'm surprised more people aren't chastising the "fun loving club patrons" for STARTING THE WHOLE THING by arriving to the show late, and then ruining his act by heckling him. They deserved to be shouted down!

Bottom line, he probably over-reacted, but if he hadn't used the N Word nothing would have happened. (Which is stupid in itself.)

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-22-2006 04:57 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first part of it (at least the first part caught on camera) seemed like he could have played it out as part of his act--well, not that it was staged, but as an improvised (albeit offensive) recovery from a heckler--then kept going with his original bits. I agree, he didn't seem to say anything totally outrageous. But he was obviously flustered, distracted, and got angry rather quickly; so I imagine it would be hard to recover and go on with the act.

I felt bad for all the poor people in the audience, with the situation getting tense and awkward, not knowing what the heck to do.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-22-2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is everyone forgetting the racist remarks yelled back at him by the patrons of black persuasion? This video could have really benefited from Dolby Digital EX as they started to walk behind the camera to leave.

Brad always calls me a "cracker". Or is it "cracka"? And I'll probably never post it on YouTube.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-22-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp
Everyone, white, black, mexican, gay, straight, whatever, should have the right to hate anyone that they choose.
Chris, that's hilarious...and soooo true! I must add it to my "Quotable Quotes" file! [beer] [thumbsup]

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
First thing he said was "Tomorrow when I wake up I'll still be rich and famous. You will still be a (n-word)".
Is the word "nigger" so offensive in your culture that you guys call it the "n-word"?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-22-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had sincerely hoped that, after 911....a real problem, that this kind of political correctness would disappear.

Words are NOT like bullets......bullets work! Louis

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-22-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the televised interview, everyone used "n-word" in place of "nigger".

Quoting dictionary.com on the word "nigger":

Usage note: The term nigger is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. Definition 1a, however, is sometimes used among African-Americans in a neutral or familiar way. Definition 3 is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the niggers of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments—but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.

–noun 1. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a. a black person.
b. a member of any dark-skinned people.

2. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.

3. a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

[Origin: 1640–50; < F nègre < Sp negro black]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-22-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis = [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh = [sleep]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-22-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew Peters asked a question. I pointed him to one answer. Sorry if that made you sleepy Phil.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-22-2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...good point. But not necessarily held by all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: