Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "O.J. Simpson: If I Did It, Here's How It Happened" - huh? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "O.J. Simpson: If I Did It, Here's How It Happened" - huh?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-14-2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to article

LOS ANGELES - Fox plans to broadcast an interview with
O.J. Simpson in which the former football star discusses "how he would have committed" the slayings of his ex-wife and her friend, for which he was acquitted, the network said.

The two-part interview, titled "O.J. Simpson: If I Did It, Here's How It Happened," will air Nov. 27 and Nov. 29, the TV network said.

Simpson has agreed to an "unrestricted" interview with book publisher Judith Regan, Fox said.

"O.J. Simpson, in his own words, tells for the first time how he would have committed the murders if he were the one responsible for the crimes," the network said in a statement. "In the two-part event, Simpson describes how he would have carried out the murders he has vehemently denied committing for over a decade."

Simpson, who now lives in Florida, was acquitted in a criminal trial of the 1994 killings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman. Simpson was later found liable in 1997 in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.

Messages left with Simpson and his attorney Yale Galanter were not immediately returned.

[Roll Eyes]

[ 11-15-2006, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Michael Schaffer ]

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 11:48 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox: trying to get cheap ratings-course it won't work, this news is way too old
Simpson: trying to further prove his innocence by pointing out how 'illogical' it would be for him to commit the crime the way it was committed. Of course since this was clearly a crime of passion logic doesn't really enter into the equation.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-15-2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe OJ is simply broke and they are paying him a lot of money for the "story".

I never understood how he could have been acquitted in the criminal case, but convicted in the civil lawsuit. I understand these are two separate proceedings, but I still don't get why if somebody gets acquitted in a criminal law suit, you can then still sue him for damages, no matter how much everyone (well, except for the jury) believes he did it. But the jury said he didn't, so doesn't that mean that he is innocent "in the eyes of the law"?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are different rules of evidence in civil vs criminal trials-ie evidence that may not be admissable in a criminal trial could be in a civil one. Also for someone to be found guilty in a criminal court the evidence needs to prove their guilt 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. In a civil court you can be found liable for something if there is a 'preponderance of evidence'.

So, logically you are correct, it makes not sense. Logic does not always reside in the realm of legal proceedings though.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-15-2006 03:54 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, since he was found guilty in the civil case, can you say "he did it" publically without facing libel charges? Can you say, "it has been proven he did it, he had to pay for it, he just wasn't put away"?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 05:47 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a tough question. I suppose you could say 'He was responsible for it', since that's what the civl case was technically about-responsibility.

Then again I'm not a lawyer....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-15-2006 08:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our legal system should be changed such that double jepordy should apply to the entire claim such that if one has a criminal trial it trumps a civil trail...that is...pick one sue em for money or sue em to go to prison. As part of the criminal trail the damages may be assessed too.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-15-2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Logic.....you have perfectly stated the reason I left law school. Louis

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael - Libel refers to defemation in a fixed medium, such as the written word. The correct charge for your example would be slander which includes the spoken word. Regardless, they are both defamation. In my understanding, the two things required to win a defamation suit are:

1. You must show the statement is false.
2. You must show damages incurred due to contempt or ridicule caused by the false statement.

Taking these two parameters, I think you could scream "O.J. did it!" wherever you would like without fear of being sued. Because he was found "not guilty" in a case vs. California does not mean he is innocent. It's worded that way on purpose. Second, it would be nearly impossible for Simpson to show damages as he has pretty much lost all assets he once had already.

Steve - I understand your point about double jeopardy, but we have to keep civil seperate because we need a venue for person vs. person cases and a seperate one for government vs. person. Like Dustin said, the standards are different because we are protected from our government by the "innocent until proven guilty" rule which does not exist between people.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-16-2006 09:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with civil cases but I do have a problem when essentially the same case is brought in both...it has to be one or the other. That is, if someone is found not guilty in a criminal case, it trumps the civil case as a non-starter. A defendant should not have to essetially be tested by two yardsticks.

Steve

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2006 11:27 AM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody seen the show Dexter on Showtime? It's about a serial killer who takes matters into his own hands when the criminal justice system fail to properly punish murderers, rapists, etc. I'm sorry, but it sickens me to think that this man is making money off murder that he's obviously guilty of.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-16-2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The glove didn't fit, SO ***YOU*** MUST acquit! HA!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-16-2006 06:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OJ took care of his former lawyer as well. Jessie Jackson or whatever his name was won't be around any more. Hopefully Bob Costas is next!

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be Johnny Cochran. He's pushing up daisies now.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was Kramer's lawyer, Jackie Chiles. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: