Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Road Trip Hobbies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Road Trip Hobbies
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who has gone on long-distance road trips? Why did you do it and where did you go?

Me? For many years I had two travel goals: (1) visit every U.S. state by automobile (even Hawaii [Wink] ) crossing over every stateline in the process, and (2) attend a Major League baseball game in every city that has a team.

As previously discussed here and here, I can proudly state that each goal has been achieved, with the baseball goal being accomplished three times now, sort of. In other words, at the close of the 2004 season, I had been to every stadium.

But then the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington, DC. Okay, so during the '05 season, I visited DC and attended a game. Mission accomplished...again.

Now, in time for the '06 campaign, a new stadium has been built in St. Louis for the Cardinals. In fact, I'm in the Mid-West as I post this (isn't Wi-Fi in hotels and laptops great) and plan to attend Monday night's game. Of course, the weather forecast calls for thunderstorms...

This trip has been pretty tightly planned, but as always I try to squeeze in some personal fun stuff: meeting other film-tech members, theater visits, writing project research, etc. So, any film-techers in Iowa, Illinois or Missouri, give me a shout...

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 01:35 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good ol' St. Louis! What city are you in now, or are you in St Louis as we speak? The St Louis Arc = LAME. Save your money if your trying to find something extra to do.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 01:40 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I'm in the Quad-Cities area of Illinois & Iowa. I'll be passing through Peoria...

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 01:56 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moline has a beautiful riverfront, right by the Marc of the Quad Cities. Other than that, I haven't ventured too much into Davenport/Moline.

As for Peoria...Have fun with our road construction!! We've been dealing with it for the past 5 years or so and it's FINALLY suppose to be done at the end of this year.

If you are super duper bored and need some new music to listen to in your car: When your on 74E, get off of exit 95A toward Main Street in East Peoria. Take a right and go down 3 blocks till you see a Shop Ko. The record store I work at is in that shopping center (155N Main St). Hell, if your hungry, there's a Subway in there too haha. Other than that, there's not much in Peoria I would recommend stoping for. No historical movie theaters to check out, no rad drive-in's (though there is one or two in Kankakee IL). Just run of the mill Wallmart supertheaters. Lame.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-09-2006 02:34 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Justin West owns the Galva Autovue Drive-In, which is between the Quad Cities and Peoria.

If you make it to eastern Illinois, you should visit the infamous Princess II in Watseka! It's only open on the weekends and I was there on a Thursday, so I didn't get to see inside.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-09-2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
visit every U.S. state by automobile (even Hawaii ) crossing over every stateline in the process,
I would like to know how you crossed over the Hawaii state line in an automobile. [Wink]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2006 06:03 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and please forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely Alaska doesn't have a state line (as in, a contiguous land border with another US state), either?

But at least you can get from Alaska to all but one of the other states by automobile, with only a passport needed. It would take a pretty special sort of automobile to achieve the same result from Hawaii, I'd guess...

Given that we've now got the Channel Tunnel, I guess it won't be long before someone tries to cover every European Union country in a road trip. In fact, it is now theoretically possible to drive from John O'Groats to Vladivostok (6,000 miles or so by road, I'd guess) without getting your tyres wet. The scary thing is that ploughing up the A19 to and from work, I do the equivalent of two return trips from John O'Groats to Vladivostok every year!

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
I guess it won't be long before someone tries to cover every European Union country in a road trip.
Ireland may be a problem if ferry trips are not allowed.

Same with Cyprus and Malta.

Traveling between Estonia and Finland involves leaving the EU

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-09-2006 06:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
That's OK Michael C, don't let others here get you down! Us savvy people get the gist of what you mean. Pay no attention to the nay-sayers... [Wink]

Your goal is certainly an honorable quest! Good Luck!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 12:03 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Phil, for being so savvy! For the others, I guess I should've been more straight forward and stated that my goal concerned the 48 contiguous states. I thought the funny Hawaii comment followed with a smiley with the "I'm in on the joke" wink would've gotten that across.

Also, I'm surprised no one pointed out that there is Major League Baseball in Canada and asked whether or not I included Canada in my travels. I guess someone will get around to asking after they figure out whether or not Alaska has a state line or if a passport is required for admittance. [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2006 01:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you been to Field Of Dreams yet? It was still there not too long ago.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-10-2006 04:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Hajducki
Ireland may be a problem if ferry trips are not allowed.
Ditto for the Faroes and Greenland, though I guess it's ambiguous as to whether they really count as EU or not (dependancies of an EU country, but not members in their own right).

The John O' Groats to Vladivostok trip sounds fun, if I had about 3-4 weeks to spare and could speak Russian (which would be essential once you get past Moscow and off the beaten track, I'd have thought)...

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 07:58 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic! This reminds me of one of my favourite Buffy lines:

Buffy: Where's Xander?
Willow: He spent the summer driving to every state in the US.
Buffy: (pause) Did you explain about Hawaii?

Cracks me up every time. Of course, the comic timing of the cast plus Joss Whedon's brilliant writing make that show shine [Smile]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 09:00 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael -

When doing your initial tour, I hope you left Wrigley Field toward the end. After that, I think the rest I have been to are kind of a disappointment. I did, however, kind of like Kauffman Stadium and Miller Park once I finally accepted that waterfalls and slides, although gimmicky, can be OK too. What were some of your favorites?

As far as road trips, I have but one absolute tradition. Corn Nuts. Gotta have Corn Nuts on the road. XM radio helps quite a bit too, but Corn Nuts are a must.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Have you been to Field Of Dreams yet?
Yes!

quote: Chad Souder
When doing your initial tour, I hope you left Wrigley Field toward the end.
At first, I thought you were asking if I left Wrigley early, like in the 7th or 8th inning?!

I visited Wrigley during Tour #1 in 2000, which included visits to Arizona (Diamondbacks), New Mexico, Texas (Rangers), Oklahoma, Missouri (Cardinals and Royals), Iowa (Field of Dreams), Illinois (Cubs), Wisconsin (Brewers), Indiana, Ohio (Reds), then back home driving through some of the same states plus Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and back to California.

Although I would rank Wrigley very high on my list of favorites, I wasn't disappointed that I visited it early on since throughout I was always excited to visit a new place. I returned to Wrigley in 2004, a trip where I also saw U.S. Cellular aka Comisky II (the White Sox were out of town during my 2000 visit) and re-visited Milwaukee to see their new stadium (2000 was the final season for County Stadium; Miller Park was under construction at the time).

One of the rules created for myself was that I had to return to any city where a new stadium was built. Since I started the quest, that meant return visits to Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and San Diego (not that San Diego required much effort on my part!). Also, any team relocations had to be accounted for, which explains visiting Washington, DC last year to see the Expos, er, Nationals play.

Oh, and I did not visit Puerto Rico during the Expos' "test" games there. I had considered a trip there in summer '03 but ended up traveling to London instead (not for baseball, obviously).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: