Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Airlines Rules for Pet Rats on the plane? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Airlines Rules for Pet Rats on the plane?
Donna Siegwart
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 05:49 PM      Profile for Donna Siegwart   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Siegwart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of need help here guys and if anyone can help me that would be terrific!

I will be traveling soon to Texas from New Jersey by air plane and need to find an Air Line that will accept my TWO Rats as Carry-on.

So far I have found out they will let them go in the cargo area, but I don't feel safe leaving my pets [Frown] (Which I love), under a plane with other animals or other large items that might fall or hurt them. (I read of a few incidents where peoples pet rats were killed due to that). Plus I would like to cut their stress down as much as I can.

Does anyone know more about traveling with rats, or any air line that might be able to allow rats as carry on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 03:04 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some links that might help you:

American seems like it might allow rats to travel in the cabin in the proper carrier, but I'd call a rep and find out exactly what is allowed and what isn't. Same thing for United Airlines.

Traveling with Pets (AA)
United: Traveling with Pets

Southwest doesn't allow pets at all.

Animals and Pets (Southwest)

Delta is prejudiced against rats! [thumbsdown]
Pet Travel Options (Delta)

If your airline doesn't allow you to bring your babies into the cabin with you, then you might get a really durable, sturdy carrier and having them travel with checked baggage. Buster and I wish you good luck with whatever options you have! [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2006 05:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Donna Siegwart
...but I don't feel safe leaving my pets [Frown] (Which I love), under a plane with other animals or other large items that might fall or hurt them. (I read of a few incidents where peoples pet rats were killed due to that).
No need to worry about that - just make sure that Samuel L. Jackson isn't booked on the same flight as you!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-09-2006 09:10 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about packing up their cage in a nice, sturdy box and sending them ahead to the destination by Fed-Ex Overnight?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 09:44 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sprit let us travel with our two Peke's as carry on. They just had to be in the airline approved carrier that would stow away under the seat at our feet.

Now we drive to our destinations...

Donna Siegwart
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Donna Siegwart   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Siegwart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I would have decided to drive down there, but my car won't make it and I don't want to take the chance. So my best bet is air travel, though my bf said if I can't find something he can watch them for a few months and when he drives down, he can bring them with him. I just don't wanna leave my rats behind. [Frown]

BTW, Emma thanks for the help, I will be calling a few airlines to talk with them about their pet rules, etc.

And Randy, I heard about a few ways to send them over night in the mail or fedex in an animal carrier, I just am iffy about trusting the mail system. I have had packages lost before [Frown] and I really am nervous about them losing my rats. But it still is an option [Smile] So thanks.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-09-2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's chancy but I don't think it's any chancier than flying them. They'd be on ground level for most of the time. They'd be warm. Maybe they get jostled in handling but rats can take it.

I'm not so concerned about them getting there in one piece but in the cost of shipping live animals via Fed-Ex. I'd have to check the rules first.

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the price of a rental car?

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pet rats are cute, I eventually want one. A small snake would be fun too, but I'd have to make sure he's locked up like Charles Manson. That and make sure the rat is so much bigger than him, if he gets out, he'd be the one in trouble.

Donna Siegwart
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 12:42 PM      Profile for Donna Siegwart   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Siegwart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Renting a car would actually cost MORE than a plane ticket (Esp since I'm only 21, and it would be out of state traveling). And right now until I am sure I have a job out there in Houston (Which I'm working on getting transferred) I have to go with the cheapest transportation, plus I'm saving up cuz in a few months I might be getting a house. So things are a bit rough right now.

I might also have another little friend to travel with soon, I might be acquiring a Guinea Pig soon (as one of my projectionists is being forced give up her pet) Ah this is going to be a fun move [Roll Eyes]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-10-2006 03:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pilot friend regularly dines out on a story she heard from one of the captains she flies with. On a flight from Dubai to Amsterdam there was a very well off lady, who had friends in high places at the airline. Those friends pulled the strings needed for her to be able to circumvent company rules and take her cat on as hand baggage. Despite being told in no uncertain terms not to do so, she opened the cat carrier in mid flight, and the kitty escaped. The captain was forced to make an announcement asking passengers to look under their seats etc., while the flight attendants soon discovered that the cabin of an MD-11 offers a wide range of hiding places for a cat. They still hadn't found the creature by the time the plane landed, and were told by Air Traffic Control that until they did the plane would have to remain sealed due to quarantine regulations. Eventually it was located, having crawled into a recess in one of the galleys, and bit the hell out of some poor flight attendant, who later had to have a very painful series of rabies innoculation jabs as a precaution. Heads rolled in senior management after that, apparently.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-10-2006 03:23 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered simply leaving them with a ratsitter (friend, family) for the duration of the trip? Maybe you want to have them with you all the time, but couldn't it also be that the stress of travelling would be too much for them? I don't know much about the emotional world of rats, I have to admit. But I know for some pets such a trip would be a total nightmare.

The only other idea I would have (except for pet shipping by experienced carriers like Fedex) would be that you could pretend to be blind and that the rats are your guiding animals. You could tell them they are specially trained to guide you by giving you squeak signals. Why not a blind dog? Because you are allergic to dog hair. The only prop you would need would be some dark sunglasses.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-10-2006 03:47 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
...you could pretend to be blind and that the rats are your guiding animals. You could tell them they are specially trained to guide you by giving you squeak signals.
Michael, I don't care what anyone says about you, I think you *DO* have a sense of humor. That is hilarious!

(Does 2 blind rats = 3 blind mice?) [Wink]

Kara Tillotson
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 05:11 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know what the big deal is...Sven is a certified water therapy instructor.
 -
and Bartok supliments his meager income at the local theatre rewinding film.
 -

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-10-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Kara, those pics are really cute ...and funny! [beer] [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: