Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinema Funding?

Author Topic: Cinema Funding?
Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 06:35 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I dont know where to post this, But i whould like your advise,

I want to be able to open a cinema, well buy an exisiting one and i whould like some info on how i get funding to startup a cinema, Are there any places that provide funding to help open up or any webpages?

Thanks for the help!

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 05:21 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you don't have the money yourself your only course of action is to raise it via investors or a bank loan.
Trouble is most people don't get the business you'll have to spell out every little thing for them to get approved.
Cinemas are expensive and they have a very small profit margin so it's hard to convince somebody to sink that kind of money into it. Especially if you yourself have no money tied up in the deal.

Good luck.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks,

Ive been working in cinemas most of my life and owning my own cinema has been an idea for a long time,

I have a fair bit to put towards he payment for the cinema, But hopefully i'll be able to get investors to help out, Do you know what kind of companys i should contact about getting investors maybe anything to do with movies?

I am aware that cinemas only have a thin margin on profits, But i will be looking into offering more services, I own and run my own online services, I will be soon be running a online dvd store so i am hoping that will help bring abit more income to help fund my project.

Anyways thanks for your info,

Best bet i can do is come up with a good business plan.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-07-2006 06:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Business plan = good. Most attendance estimates = bad. Providing there's no competition in your immediate area, take the population of your drawing area, multiply that by about 6, and you'll get an estimate of how many people you'll get in your door in a year. If you can figure out a way to make it pay off with about half that number of people, you've got a good plan.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 10:47 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we built our theatre, we developed our business plan through the help of the local SCORE representatives. They did not write our plan, but gave me very valuable advise and critisism to make our plan work for us.

We took our business plan to several local banks, and thru the SBA 504 loan program (also suggested by the SCORE rep), we only had to come up with 15% cash equity from our own pocket. Granted - to get that 15% we (me and my wife) decided to sell our house, in the end we think it was worth it.

We just celebrated the 3 year anniversary of our theatre last weekend, and it looks like this year will be the first year we'll finish the season operating in the black.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 06:10 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the info [Smile]

I have started my business plan and got in touch with a few banks,

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2006 02:17 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best way to find investors, What types of companys should i target?

Kara Tillotson
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2006 06:13 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have you perused cinemas in your area?
Interestingly there is a closed theatre in your town of nottingham
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/11113/

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 03:45 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The odeon is still to let,

But by the sounds of it they knocked all the walls out and stuff.

The cinema is around the corner from the cineworld 14 screen cinema where i work.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: