Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jiffy Lube scam (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jiffy Lube scam
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I would post this in the random videos thread, but for anyone doing business with Jiffy Lube, you probably would be interested in watching this.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-28-2006 04:54 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
That Los Angeles NBC4 undercover/investigative guy has done a lot of reporting on local scams, filthy health conditions in restaurants, and consumer rip-offs.

It's ALWAYS the same reply from the corporate of the scamming POS companies that get caught with their pants down and fucking the bent-over consumer: "We're totally shocked and will investigate and take appropriate action". HA!

I'm surprised that reporter is still alive and has not been "retired". [Eek!]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-28-2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I don't go to Jiffy Lube, I get stiffed at the dealer instead, dammit!

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never go to those damn places, and now I never will. I pay a little more for my local mechanic to do the work, but at least I know its getting done. I don't like waiting 45 minutes for an oil change, but now, I don't mind so much. I never understood how these places can get all the bad oil out of your car, change the filter, put in new oil, and get you on your way in 10 minutes. It takes at least that long for all of the old oil to completely drain down into the pan after being run through your car.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in several gas stations while in high school.

When a car that has been driven until it is good and hot pulls up onto the oil change bay, the first thing we do is remove the drain plug. The oil is HOT and thinner than when cold. Grease the front suspension, and check the rear axle grease. Once the crankcase is down to a drip, replace the plug, and remove the oil filter. Its a really quick job. No, I never worked at an oil change place.

I couldnt see the entire video, but I heard it. The vid froze up on the anchorman. I hope the bad guys fry.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-28-2006 06:55 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, when I was 15, I too worked at a gas station and did the same things you mention. We were honest and did all the work for the $.

Of course regular gasoline was 29.9 cents a gallon back then too... [Smile]

It's really a shame that now there are so many dishonest assholes. Buyer Beware!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many, many years ago my Dad took the car into a local transmission shop (big chain) just to have the fluid and tranny filter changed. And he always made it a point of keeping his eyes peeled. Anyhow, the old fluid was drained into a filthy drain pan, filled with metal chips and debris. Dad cought them just as they were about ready to dump that crap back into the transmission! They suffered the wrath of his temper!!

I don't see why people make such a big deal out of changing or servicing oil!? And any auto supply store chain (Pep Boys, Checker, Auto Zone, etc, etc, etc) will recycle your oil at no cost. Unfortunately, they do not recycle filters!

I did go into a quick lube (national chain) once for a quick oil change, as my time was limited. Well, I ended up leaving that place in a hurry and did the change myself. The stupid min wage kid was unfamaliar with the correct filter for a small block Ford and was going to literally jury-rig a filter to fit! But I nipped him in the bud an prevented him from proceeding!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I change my own oil too. I buy it at walmart when I am buying groceries. It costs me about $10 and takes less than 15 minutes. It would take longer to drive to the oil change place than it would do do it myself.

I will never take any vehicle to pep boys again. I took my truck in for an alignment a few years ago and they used up half a tank of gas, which is about 100-125 miles.

I do just about everything myself, but if I ever have to take it to a mechanic again I will make sure it only has enough gas to get me back home when they are done with it.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 08:57 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently had my oil changed at one of our local Jiffy Lubes. I don't think I'll ever go back after seeing the video, but I'm pretty sure they did a good job on this trip. I could see them drain the old oil, and take the filter off and set it to the side. A guy went over to the wall o' boxes, and grabbed a box, cut the tape on it, and handed it down to the guy in the pit area. He pulled out a new oil filter, drew a bead of oil over the seal, and put it on. While another guy was going over to a big drum of oil with one of those flip valves, like on a commercial tea pot, and dispense my "High Milage" oil into a jug, and went back and filled my car with it. The others were busy around checking my washer fluid, topping off my antifreze, etc. They almost resembled a Nascar pit crew. However, the video has persuaded me to stick with the guys over by me.

I would change my own, but the apron (air dam) prevents me from using the ramps we have, and my e-jack, is a standard crank style scissor jack. It's waaaay too much trouble to do it myself, for now.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 09:38 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do it myself, but my mechanic only charges $16. For 5 quarts of oil and a decent filter, I'd only be saving a couple dollars. I didnt like the hassle of crawling under the car, busting my knuckles taking the filer off, then hauling the oil to a place to dispose of it properly. Its worth a few bucks for them to do it, then when their under there, they look for leaks or other problems. money well spent.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These scams are nothing new. Back in the 80's it was Firestone Auto Centers. Before that it was Sears. It's the same old game. Just change the name.

When my car needs an oil change I often do it myself if I have the time and if the weather is good. I don't like working on cars in the winter even inside the garage. (Not attached, unheated garage.)

If I took it to "Wags", my usual mechanic and asked him to change the oil he'd laugh at me. He knows I can change it myself and he doesn't want to waste the time.

There's a Wal-Mart where I know a few of the mechanics. If I take it in for an oil change I'll take it there because I know those guys don't fool around.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 11:43 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank spoke about busting his knuckles with filter removal? Why?? Several easy-to grab and inexpensive filter wrenches on the market today. And there is no reason to torque the hell out of the filter.

Cheers

Kutler

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 12:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree with all of these statements as well. For, I've always done my own oil/filter changes as long as I've been driving..until recently I became aware of something that can be a "Catch-22" in all of this:

Didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine got stiffed buy the dealership-and this wasn't due to not doing the oil change and paying for it, it was called warranty issues.

He bought a new car and is a self made Saturday mechanic as I am in taking care of his own vehicles. And it had to happen: engine started to use oil like mad. First, he thought that the PVC valve had gone bad,thus he replaced the valve. Unfortunately,this didn't work to stop the oil consumption.

Being under warranty, he took the vehicle in for the classic checkup - shop told him that the valve seals went prematurely, plus two oil rings have gotten weak. Suddenly, the dealership crys failure of proper oil changes and durations. Yet, he told them that he was faithful in the changes-even showing them the after market filters that is being used.

But,with him doing his own changes, there were no "paper trails" to document the changes by a service center, they wouldn't garnish a warranty repair on the vehicle. He fought that one out clear to the factory and did eventually win the case, but it was a hard lesson for him to learn - to have documentations available esp with warranty issues.

Thus, I take our 02 Saturn (which we purchased with an extended warranty) in to Jiffy Lube and watch them VERY CAREFULLY as they do the service on that vehicle. Yes, they have screwed up one time by not putting the filter cap over the cartridge case (Saturns don't use spin-on filters, but the old cartridge type) tight enough and I leaked oil like mad and did take it back to show them and they put in a new filter and replace the cap with a new one.

Yes,they also try to sell me into extra stuff, but I simply refuse.

As for doing transmission flushes, yes, I've seen the "T" thingey there at their locations. I had them do a tranny flush on my neighbors car a couple of years ago, but as always I watch them VERY CAREFULLY as they are doing all of this..

I do agree with Will - why bust the knuckles on the filter? If it's so super tight on there, get a good sized leather or rubber compound strap wrench to do the job to spin that sucker off..

-Monte

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 08:32 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Phil:

Since you worked at a station, like me, did the guys around you take the time to show you the ropes on how to do different kinds of service work?

The guys I worked with had an average of 25 years each in the business. This was around 1974. Our station was voted the 'Model Service Station' several years in a row. It was never filthy, and was thoroughly steam cleaned every night.

And the Lord help you if you put a tool back in the wrong drawer! [Eek!]

I have always worked on my own cars. This past weekend, I did an oil change on my '83 truck. Its the first work I've done since last fall on anything. I enjoyed the experience. [beer]

My filters are never knuckle-busters either. [thumbsup]

Before I got sick, last summer, I removed and rebuilt the transmission in my '83 Ford truck. Had never rebuilt one before, either, but, followed the directions to a 'T,' and kept everything totally clean. It is working and shifting like new. Its also good to have a friend that has a transmission puller hoist that I have free access to... [thumbsup]

Anyway, I'm sure with all the locations of 'instant oil change' places that are on every corner these days, there is crap happening that never gets caught. The last oil change place I went to stripped my rear axle grease plug out, and I had to have a piece of steel welded to it so I could get it out to replace it. Of course, the lube place denied that they did it. [Mad]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2006 12:28 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's crap like this that makes me want to do all of this stuff myself. I did an engine swap and a lot of other work on various cars but being an apartment dweller kind of limits ya [Wink]

Buddy of mine was once told by Jiffy Lube here (after they lost the o-ring on his oil plug) that they're all like that (no o-ring) and most Toyotas leak oil [Roll Eyes]

My favorite annoyance was when I took my cousins old car in to Sears (they're by my moms place) to have the brakes done. I tell the counter help I need the brakes done and will need rotors in the front cause they're grinding.
2 hours later they call me up and tell me I need my brakes done, and the fronts are worn past the pads, which is causing the grinding sound...Being that it took them 2 hours to do this it was too late to get the parts that day. [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: