Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Plane Crash at Bluegrass Field Lexington Ky (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Plane Crash at Bluegrass Field Lexington Ky
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-27-2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CNN
(CNN) -- Forty-nine of the 50 people aboard Delta Flight 5191 were killed when the aircraft crashed Sunday morning shortly after takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky, according to Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn.

Ginn said he believes most people died from fire-related causes "rather than smoke inhalation."

Flight 5191 -- operated by Delta Air Lines' commuter carrier, Comair -- was en route to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, where it was scheduled to land at 7:18 a.m. ET.

First responders extricated the crew's first officer -- the crash's lone survivor -- according to Blue Grass Airport's Chief of Public Safety Scott Lanter.

They "observed movement at the front of the aircraft, and then extricated the first officer from the nose of the airplane," Lanter said.

Comair President Don Bornhorst identified the first officer as James Polehinke.

Polehinke was in critical condition at University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center in Lexington, airline and hospital officials said.

There were 47 passengers and three crew members aboard the flight. One of the passengers was off duty, sitting in the plane's jump seat, Blue Grass Airport Director Michael Gobb said.

Flight 5191 was cleared for take-off at 6:05 a.m. ET, which was the last communication between the pilot and air-traffic controllers at the airport, Federal Aviation Administration officials said.

The plane crashed about a half-mile from the end of the runway, said Bornhorst, Comair's president.

Two sources told CNN that radar identifying the plane's location shortly before it crashed indicates that it took off from the wrong runway -- one that was 3,500 feet shorter than the other.

The Bombardier Canadian Regional Jet (CRJ)-200 was cleared to take off from runway 22, which is more than 7,000 feet long, the sources said.

Instead, it took off from runway 26, which is 3,500 feet long, the sources said.

That length is "pretty short for that type of aircraft," former National Transportation Safety Board Vice Chairman Bob Francis told CNN.

Lanter confirmed that the crash site was at the end of runway 26 but would not speculate from which runway the flight took off.

"Part of the investigation will establish what runway they were using," Lanter said. "Based on the information we received for the incident, we don't know what runway they were using."

Asked about the possibility that the wrong runway was used, Bornhorst told reporters, "I think that is a rumor and speculation that would be not good for any of us to go down right now."

NTSB investigators could take up to a year before formally ruling on the cause of the crash.

Gobb said the flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder "have been retrieved and turned over."

County Coroner Ginn said much of the aircraft remained intact, despite a heavy fire that "traveled with the plane." The airport's fire department "got there very fast ... and because of that, we're able to keep a lot of the plane intact," he said.

"We are going to say a mass prayer before we begin the work of removing the bodies," County Coroner Ginn told The Associated Press, referring to the chaplains who serve the airport.

The coroner's office has set up a temporary morgue in Frankfort -- about 30 miles west of Lexington -- "in order to expedite the autopsies," Ginn said.

He said he is asking family members for dental records to help make identifications.

Comair purchased the CRJ-200 from Bombardier in January 2001 and said its maintenance was up-to-date.

That type of plane has a good track record, according to the NTSB Web site.

Bornhorst said the flight crew had been "on a legal rest period far beyond what is required," but the specifics of the crew's schedule will be part of the NTSB investigation.

The pilot, Capt. Jeffrey Clay, began work with Comair in 1999 and was promoted two years ago to captain, Bornhorst said.

Polehinke has worked for Comair since 2002, and Kelly Heyer, the male flight attendant, had been employed with the carrier since 2004, he said.

The plane went down before sunrise, and scared residents who initially thought it was bad weather.

"I really thought it was a big clap of thunder, so (I) didn't think much about it until I heard all the sirens," one man said.

Another man described what he saw from his back door.

"Over the hillside, I saw a flash of light and then an explosion, and then just a big plume of smoke come up," he said.

In Atlanta, most of the passengers aboard the crashed plane had planned to connect to other flights and did not have family waiting for them there, the Rev. Harold Boyce, a volunteer chaplain at Hartsfield-Jackson airport, told the AP.

One woman was there expecting her sister on the flight. The two had planned to fly together to catch an Alaskan cruise, he said.

"Naturally, she was very sad," Boyce said. "She was handling it. She was in tears."

NTSB investigators are heading to the crash site to begin an investigation.

CNN's Mike Ahlers and Miles O'Brien contributed to this report.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-27-2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always sad when this kind of thing happens. Watched local coverage all day today...(My daughter flies this exact same plane but for a different airline.)

The "mixup" at that airport between runway 22 and 26 is well known by all pilots...I noted it again within the last month. The turn from the single taxiway to the "wrong" runway happens first, then a few hundred feet later is another slight turn then a 90 degree turn to the longer runway. Professional pilots normally would be "on guard" for troublesome situations. Because of the years of experience in that cockpit, I am surprised that this happened. Lexington is a "mini hub" for Comair I am sure that both pilots had been there many times before. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-27-2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horrible story. You would think they would paint huge signage on the runway itself: SHORT RUNWAY SHORT RUNWAY like they do FULL STOP on at street corners....any kind of reminder that tells the guy he's going to fall off the end of the damn thing if he keeps going. I've noticed the little signs they have at the airport runways....small little things close to the ground. I always thought how easy it would be to misread those little things.

A friend of mine just moved to Lexington three months ago. He called today very upset. I know his feeling. We had that jet smash into a residential neighborhood here in Queens in 2001, only a few miles from us; a few of my co-workers live there, one only three blocks away from the crash site. Terrible.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-27-2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was in the Lexington Flying Club, out of this airport in the 80s, that runway used to be X-ed out and was designated as "taxiway hotel".

I think this is the first big crash at Bluegrass Field in a long time, maybe forever. The last mishap I recall there was a small business jet that crashed just short of runway 4/22, about 10 years ago.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2006 07:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With this story, the terror plot in Britain, some rumblings with Aer Lingus in Ireland, and the 5th anniversary of 9/11, I'm freaking because my girl was off in Europe this week on vacation with the family. In addition, on September 11, she leaves for Ireland for 9 months to study abroad. I know everything will be ok, but goodness I hate hearing news like this.

AJG

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 06:28 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your compass should agree with the runway number the tower assigns you to. i.e. runway 22> compass reading should be 220 degrees, runway 29> compass reading should be 290, etc.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 08:54 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you programmed your FMS at the gate, then this kind of mistake would be obvious. (You would show that you were not on the takeoff runway.)

It is yet to be determined if the "overnight" (Saturday) was any factor. Sunday 6am comes very fast after Saturday night. Louis

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the tower have a radar? Can't they see that the plane is on the wrong runway, or do they normally just assume that the pilots know where they are if visibility is reasonable?

I don't mean that in any kind of a condescending way, I'm just curious. I don't know anything about this airport - it might not even have a "tower" for all I know.

I agree that there should be warning signs especially since the confusion is well known there.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it has not been mentioned this time, I would have thought that the tower was closed until later in the morning.

Certainly during the day, the tower advises pilots to "continue onward to runway 22." Louis

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, there was maybe no occupied tower (I guess this is 'normal' for a podunk airport, but sure seems stupid when there are commercial flights), runway lights that weren't in working order, charts that weren't updated by the airport, officers half-asleep and impaired .. not that they receive proper training in the first place. These regional and 'feeder' operations are mostly low-bid farm clubs for commercial aviation. Least pay, least training, least hours, least experienced pilots and engineers, period. Think about that next time you hop on one.

Yes, I know aviation folks will remind us these terrible accidents are rare. And, thank God they are .. so far. Small comfort for the families who's loved ones were burned alive thanks to so-called professionals failing at their jobs, and a very lax operation all around, it seems.

Ron Yost .. damn near got killed in a Comair flight myself years ago. Waaaaaay to 'casual' an operation for my taste.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 02:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Yost
Yes, I know aviation folks will remind us these terrible accidents are rare. And, thank God they are .. so far. Small comfort for the families who's loved ones were burned alive thanks to so-called professionals failing at their jobs, and a very lax operation all around, it seems.
My recently-moved-in neighbour is a pilot with the airline I regularly fly from an English regional airport (Durham/Tees Valley) to London and back on. She agrees that it's looking like either the pilots, the air traffic controllers or both made a tragic mistake in this case (because there's no other explanation for the aircraft having attempted to take off from the wrong runway), but made the point that all are professionals, none wanted this to happen and that therefore the priority should be to go back over what happened, identify the weak points in the system, fix them and learn the lessons.

I flew on a Delta CRJ from Bangor, Maine to Boston last month: the whole experience was normal, routine and completely unremarkable. I guess the whole thing about air travel is that it's like that on 999,999 out of 1,000,000 flights; but the one on which it isn't has a horrible habit of being a tragedy rather than a minor accident. My condolances to the deceased, their relatives and friends.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local news confirmed that the tower was open (but maybe not watching..or was too dark) Radio calls indicate that the correct runway was thought to be the one they were on. There is no lighting on the short runway...daytime only.

That should have been a dead giveaway since the 7000 ft runway was very well lit. Lexington tower at one time closed at 10 or 11 pm. These were multi-years-with-Comair professionals who routinely operated out of that airport who just made a tragic mistake. Louis

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 08:41 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update:

NTSB: Tower didn't notice deadly mistake By JEFFREY McMURRAY
AP, Aug. 29, 2006

The lone air traffic controller on duty the morning Comair Flight 5191 crashed cleared the jet for takeoff, then turned his back to do some "administrative duties" as the aircraft veered down the wrong runway, a federal investigator said Tuesday.

Separately, the Federal Aviation Administration acknowledged violating its own policies when it assigned only one controller to the Lexington tower.

The commuter jet struggled to get airborne and crashed in a field before daybreak Sunday, killing 49 of the 50 people aboard, after taking off from a 3,500-foot runway instead of an adjoining one that was twice as long. Experts said the plane needed at least 5,000 feet for takeoff. The sole survivor, first officer James Polehinke, was in critical condition Tuesday.

The air traffic controller had an unobstructed view of the runways and had cleared the aircraft for takeoff from the longer runway, said National Transportation Safety Board member Debbie Hersman.

Then, "he turned his back to perform administrative duties," Hersman said. "At that point, he was doing a traffic count."

The controller, whose name was not released, had been working at the Lexington airport for 17 years and was fully qualified, Hersman said.

Polehinke was flying the plane when it crashed, but it was the flight's captain, Jeffrey Clay, who taxied the aircraft onto the wrong runway, Hersman said. Clay then turned over the controls to Polehinke for takeoff, the investigator said.

Polehinke was pulled from the burning plane after the crash but has not been able to tell investigators why the pilots tried to take off from the wrong runway.

Both crew members were familiar with the Lexington airport, according to Hersman. She said Clay had been there six times in the past two years, and Polehinke had been there 10 times in the past two years — but neither had been to the airport since a taxiway repaving project just a week earlier that had altered the taxiway route.

Earlier Tuesday, the FAA admitted it violated a policy, outlined in a November 2005 directive, requiring that control tower observations and radar approach operations be handled by separate controllers.

FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said the controller at the Lexington airport had to do his own job — keeping track of airplanes on the ground and in the air up to a few miles away — as well as radar duties.

Before Hersman's briefing on Tuesday, the NTSB said Polehinke was flying the plane; it made no mention of Clay being the one who taxied the plane into position.

Polehinke's mother, Honey Jackson, said her son is not to blame for the crash, and she asked people to be patient until all the facts were revealed.

"He could die at any moment," said Jackson, a lounge singer who lives in Miami.

Jackson's boyfriend and business manager, Antonio Cruz, said the 44-year-old Polehinke was on life support, with punctured lungs and a broken pelvis. He was scheduled to have the first of many operations Tuesday, Cruz said.

"Nobody can say for sure yet if he'll be able to recover," Cruz said.

Federal officials are looking into whether runway lights or a repaving project a week before the crash confused the crew into turning onto the wrong runway.

On Monday night, investigators used the same model of aircraft that crashed, a CRJ-100, to try to recreate the last few minutes of Flight 5191 as it taxied away from Blue Grass Airport's terminal.

Polehinke had a clean record as a pilot, with no accidents or mistakes, authorities said.

Polehinke spent five years — from 1997 to 2002 — flying short-range, twin-engine planes for Florida-based Gulfstream International Airlines. He flew at small airports all over Florida and the Bahamas, starting as a first officer and getting promoted to captain in 2000.

Tom Herfort, director of operations for Gulfstream, was a pilot for the company at the same time as Polehinke. He recalled no problems with his colleague.

"You know who's got the good reputation and who doesn't. I didn't hear anything bad about the guy," Herfort said. "As far as I know, he was a good captain for us."

Jackson said newspaper reports about her son were lies, but Cruz confirmed newspaper reports that Polehinke's wife, Ida, shot him in the abdomen with a handgun in 1999. Polehinke said the shooting was an accident, but his wife told police she shot Polehinke because she feared for her life after her husband threatened to kill her, The Miami Herald reported.

Polehinke declined to press charges, and Cruz said the couple had resolved their problems.

"They have overcome it, and they are working it out," he said. "It is a good relationship. They were supposed to travel to Italy or something, just the two of them."

Associated Press writers Leslie Miller in Washington; Bruce Schreiner in Louisville; and Melissa Nelson in Pensacola, Fla., contributed to this report.

.. Ron Yost

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-30-2006 12:05 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Yost
FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said the controller at the Lexington airport had to do his own job — keeping track of airplanes on the ground and in the air up to a few miles away — as well as radar duties.

I guess we're not the only industry where management is cutting corners in booth personnel.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-30-2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Combined positions in towers during late-night operations were quite common until this new FAA policy came out. The Lexington tower probably has barely enough night traffic counts to keep it staffed as a 24-hour tower. Here at LAS (a much bigger and busier operation than Lexington) during mid shifts all positions in the cab were combined - local, ground, flight data, and clearance delivery all on one frequency. No big deal when you only have a few flights an hour operating. Tower staffing is not a factor in this case.

The Lexington controller was at the end of his shift and doing the passdown paperwork, counting and bundling the paper flight strips used for logging the flights handled during the shift. All of the radio communications show that both the pilots and the controller thought the aircraft was on the correct runway and there were no audible indications of confusion that would cause anyone to look up and double-check themselves. So in the end a very simple mistake led to a very sad conclusion.

This one is already a topic in our Human Factors class here in the CCSN Aviation Program, just as I'm sure it is at all flight training programs around the world. We all await the NTSB's final finding of probable cause, which should be published about a year from now. In the mean time we're all reminded that it's the simple things that can kill you in this business. There but for the grace of God go any of us that fly or work traffic for a living.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: