Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sandwiches not looking as good as the picture. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sandwiches not looking as good as the picture.
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been somewhat of a running joke in movies and TV for years but I just bought the most pathetic looking "Beef and Cheddar" sandwich from Arby's that I have ever seen. I think Leo Getts was right as far as "They [sex] you in the Drive Thu!" Has anyone ever gotten food from anyplace that actually looked the way it was suppose to?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2006 07:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chipotle burritos pictured in tinfoil look just like the ones I get wrapped in tinfoil in real life. [Big Grin]

The most amazing difference I have seen is at Wendy's. Has anyone noticed how small their 1/4 pound meat pattie has become?

Donna Siegwart
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Donna Siegwart   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Siegwart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The taco bell in my town gets things lookin' pretty accurate. I loooooove their food!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-29-2006 09:51 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised nobody's started a website showing real pictures of food items next to the camera-ready versions.

I suppose there'd be legal concerns from lifting said camera-ready photos...

Speaking of photos, who replaced Brad's member picture with one of Jared from Subway? [Wink]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 10:11 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - when I lived out West I loved the Carl's Jr. commercials. They always showed what thier sandwiches really looked like - messy but delicious. Man - I miss them and In-and-Out.

Of course I did make to Cincinnati two weeks ago and had about 10 White Castles - another favorite restruant of mine.

Man this thread is making me hungry!

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 12:21 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steak and Shake's salads look just like the picture. They put the onions, green peppers, ect. in the same arrangement everytime.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-30-2006 12:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The camera ready food items look delicious...

...but you sure as hell would be best advised not to take a bite.

You wouldn't believe the kind of stuff photographers use on food to make it look good. Paints, varnishes, cleaning chemicals, shoe polishes and all sorts of other non-edible stuff get used all the time.

Also, one has to take into account the very different lighting setups. Even the best prepared fast food is going to look kinda grey and nasty under the yellow cast of a fluorescent lamp.

Speaking of Chipotle, their burritos do look pretty much like the photos on their website. Finally got to try out one while in Colorado Springs recently. Good stuff. I don't understand why there are no Chipotle locations in Oklahoma though. The company has offices in both Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the difference between hiring high dollar people to make the stuff look good on camera, and hiring minimum wage flunkies, who don't give a darn, to make the stuff you eat.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-31-2006 11:20 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a shoot once that required milk to be poured into a glass and kind of fly out as it's poured. They had a guy whose only job was to make the pour look exciting and delicious -- he was called the "splash choreographer" -- I kid you not. And what was he pouring....milk? Not a chance -- it was white paint!

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 08:18 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
like that nasty elmers glue concoction that they use in the "got milk?" photographs.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-31-2006 09:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chipotle is mentioned here so often, I wonder if there is some kind of endorsement deal going on between them and film-tech. I caved in to the suggestive pressure last night and stopped by one of their locations.
They make burritos! Like about 2.8 million other places in California. And they only have a few variations and not much else. Aiberto's 24h drivethru down the street has about 20 different burritos and all the other Mexican stuff. I purchased a steak fajita burrito. They wrapped it in aluminium foil and it looked like a burrito in aluminium foil. I could have taken a picture at home for this thread, but I was too lazy. Rather, I unwrapped and devoured it. It was OK, but nothing special.
The ambiente was very nice though. Simple, clean design with brick walls and b&w pictures of Mexico on the walls and the right music. The nice people who worked there hardly spoke English. Very authentic.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2006 09:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I think all of that drinking has burned your taste buds right off.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 10:12 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
chipotle? It is ok. Relatively inexpensive and it keeps me full for about two hours. I've had better, and worse. I don't know of too many things that beat a 7 layer burrito from taco bell.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-01-2006 12:20 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Michael, I think all of that drinking has burned your taste buds right off.
Aha! Apparently you have never been to Aiberto's 24h drivethru! Do Chipotle have shrimp burrito? No. Steak and eggs burrito? No. Carne asada burrito? No. Chorizo burrito? Well, OK, chorizo is a bit nasty, all the leftover scraps of meat ground together, but still, no.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-01-2006 12:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no need to, Chipotle is perfection "as is". [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: