Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cell phone harassment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cell phone harassment
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me preface this with saying I am not racist...but this shit has got to stop.

There is this woman with the thickest black accent and "attitude" I have ever heard who calls me constantly on my cell phone. She always has her number blocked, so I have no way to assign her to a silent ringtone or anything.

The stupid woman calls nonstop, dozens and dozens of times in a row at all hours of the day and does nothing but yell and threaten me for cheating on her, very much in the same style as those stupid afternoon tv talk shows. Apparently my name is Tyson, and she "knows" it is me because I "sound just like him" (which I find hard to believe).

What I NEED is anonymous call blocking, just like is available on land lines. The problem is that Cingular says they don't have it yet for cell phones.

I have had this phone number for many years and don't want to change it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell her you're changing cell phone numbers. Then give her Mark G's number. Other than that, Tyson, I think you should just apologize to Shaniqiua.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate had his parked car hit by a sassy woman & after the insurance company took care of her claim, she started calling my roommate ten times a day. I believe her intentions were to scare him into also paying her. She even went as far as getting a friend of her's to call him up & pretend she was a cop... She said, almost verbatim "This is xxx (uses only first name) from the police department you were in an accident with xxx (uses only first name, again) & if you don't call us, we will put out a warrant for your arrest!"

Thankfully, a friend of ours is an insurance adjuster & had the phone numbers to help mediate the situation. It's sad to think there are people who let these dumbasses boss people around out of what they think is fear they're creating.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-15-2006 05:15 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT should do it....Brad I'm surprised you did not do this already! Louis

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-15-2006 05:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that the problem with anonymous call reject (ACR) was that you'll end up blocking more people who are trying to call you legitimately than undesirables. After a succession of cold sales calls on my home landline I signed up for ACR (at the ripoff price of £4 a month), with the result that no-one from any large large organisation could call me, because their switchboard blocks the number. In the end ACR was causing me more trouble than the sales calls, so I had to discontinue it. I now prescreen all calls which are either anonymous or from a number I don't recognise using the answering machine, and only pick up if it's someone I want to talk to.

Obviously you can't do that with the voicemail facility on a mobile. If it's just the one caller that's giving you grief, can you report her as a nuisance caller? It's certainly a criminal offence to make those sorts of calls here, and though I've never had to deal with a malicious caller, I believe the system is that in the first instance, British Telecom will give them a warning, and if that doesn't work, pass the case over to the Police. Is there a similar procedure in the US?

IMHO, withholding numbers should be outlawed. Any large organisation not wanting to divulge a direct line to someone's extension should engineer their switchboard so that it sends the number of a general enquiries line at least. I can't think of any legitimate reason why someone would want to call you without divulging who they are. The only reason is that they know or suspect that you won't want to talk to them - in which case it'll either be because they want to spam you with cold sales calls, or worse.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to have somebody standing nearby to answer the phone immediately and claim to be a cop since I don't have her number. She "knows" me by my voice, after all.

If nothing else, does anyone have suggestions on how to REALLY PISS HER OFF? She's doing it to me, so what are some good buttons of hers I should push? At least I can have some fun with this.

Looks like I'm not the only one with a crazy woman calling.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell her you’re so sorry for cheating on her, you really do love her and that you want to get married today. Now, be careful that Tyson doesn't start calling for ruining his life!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy fix. Tell her to meet you somewhere and then pop her with your 9.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have other women answer the phone and fight with her over "Tyson".

Tyson.. poor guy.. named after chicken...

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should ask to meet her? You never know, she may be crazy, but she also may be HOT! j/k.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The hottest girl in the world couldn't overcome that sort of blattitude. [puke]

I think I'll try Chris' idea. Best case scenario I can prove to her that it is my phone and I am not her precious cheating bastard Tyson. Worst case scenario I can legally shoot her in self defense.

Wait, I may have those best/worst cases backwards! [evil]

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad
What cell phone company are you with? My bill shows the number of every call made to me as well as by me. If you pay for incoming calls you have the right to know.

Donna Siegwart
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 07:54 PM      Profile for Donna Siegwart   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Siegwart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can't your cell phone company block her number? i mean even if she blocks YOU from seeing it, im sure the cell phone company has to have her number on file somewhere, and find that number that keeps calling and just get them to block that one, and if she tries anything else, you should get her to meet you somewhere (find a cop to go with you) and prove she is wrong, and if she is psycho, have her arrested.... (id so do that, esp if she was wasting my minutes).

OR you can find this tyson guy, find out his real number, and suggest her to call him on that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2006 08:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cingular, and no I called all of the cell phone providers and none of them can trace the number because it is being blocked at the land line.

quote: Donna Siegwart
OR you can find this tyson guy, find out his real number, and suggest her to call him on that.
I would LOVE to hear how you recommend I do this, seeing that this crazy woman could be living in Florida for all I know.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if next time she called, you could just tell her your battery was running dead and ask her a number you could call her back at? Sometimes the simple ideas actually work. Then you don't have to meet her.

If you really want to piss her off, tell her you found a white girl.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: