Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Whats The Best Location For Used Laptop Parts?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whats The Best Location For Used Laptop Parts??
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-06-2006 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to stuff alot of $$ into my older Dell Lattitude but it has been a very good computer for me over the years and it deserves to keep on ticking, I've also got a ton of files on it! Thought about buying a new one but this one is worth so little that if it gets ripped off on a trip its no great loss except that its been very reliable from day one.

What I'm looking for is a used but working LCD screen assy. Samsung PN LTN141X4-LO1 or equivelent, or just the flex pcb that runs from the back of the display to the motherboard off of a bad display. The display is erratic but the main panel is actually fine.. the flex cable has been flexed too many times!

I'd also like to get a refurbished keyboard while I'm at Dell PN-DP/N-00655P which I understand is a pretty common keyboard... it has a copuple of the keys have been intermittent lately.

Anyone know of a good reliable place or have a friend that I can buy refurbished/used Dell laptop parts from? Have checked on E-Bay and the parts are there but one doesn't quite know what one is actually getting in this realm from those on E-Bay and I prefer to support someone who is really in buisness for themselves and not a fly by night e-bayer or someone that is operating a real computer store.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Mark. Just buy yourself a new laptop! You wouldn't want to go tuning theaters with your D2 using that antiquated pos. [Razz]

Seriously though, you should immediately back up your files. That hard drive is too old to keep them safe. Also, you can get new inexpensive laptops at such a good price, it's literally not worth repairing that one, but you wouldn't be sinking so much money into it if it got stolen that it would be a huge crisis.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-06-2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed completely with Brad. My environmentally correct heart would urge me to replace the failed (or on the verge of failing) component, but then my environmentally incorrect head looks at the glossy leaflets from Dell which come in the Sunday papers, offering perfectly decent laptops for £350, inc. VAT and delivered to your door.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-06-2006 11:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have the important stuff on the HD backed up so the important data is safe, I always do that. All the R-2 files and 500 and 650 files will be gone if its stolen but I'll still have all the nekid gurly pictures to reload onto the new one! Heck... let insurance pay for the new one if the old one is stolen... I have full replacement value insurance on all my test gear. The thing about this insurance is that if you have it nothing ever gets stolen!

You think I'm bad fixing this junker... my boss still owns the first car he ever got, a Model A! Its a CLACO contagious thing... I'm just as fond of this laptop as he is of the model A... but when the new D-2 comes in the old P-1 90 mhz Toshiba is going with it!

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-07-2006 12:36 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think ebay is pretty much the only option. Some of the parts, even complete older notebooks, are so cheap, you aren't really risking anything. I don't think there is an actual market infrastructure with parts suppliers and repair services etc for such old PC parts since most people simply replace the whole thing when it becomes old.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-07-2006 01:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, MARKO, get on this site and buy this Doo-dad so you can take that HDD out of the old laptop and connect this unit to the USB of your new laptop and transfer files over to the HDD of the new laptop..

-Monte

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what model dell latitude is it? I have a lot of parts here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-07-2006 11:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sean,

Its a Latitude CPX. I believe that it may need a new display but I'm not 100% sure yet. I was able to get parts locally today... The display flex cable assy. which was severed, Plastic rear piece that cracked and severed the flex pcb, and a new keyboard and I'm not into that stuff much$$ at this point. The computer works fine on an external monitor, but the lcd display just lights up white with no data displayed on it. If you have anything let me know, complete puter or parts units.. what ever. Its the Samsung LTN-141X4 display. I know this could also be a problem on the motherboard so I'm tempted to just get a parts machine off e-bay as Michael mentioned, or if you have one available. Its still a popular computer today for some reason or other. There are alsways ALOT of bidders for them on E-Bay, sometimes over 50 bids, go figure.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... Having thought about this for a couple of days I am going to buy a new lap top. I like the small 12" size but still usable screen of the Dell XPS M1210 and it weighs just 4 lbs. That light weight alone will make it worth it. It will also go along with the new D-2 alot better into one smallish case and is compatable with the new Vista O.S., apparently not all puters are(Monte!). Although I will probably just slap my old 20 gig HD into it and keep going with that since its a clean full install of XP-Pro and everything I need is already there. I dislike really large single hard drives... I've had enough of them fail loosing everything... and the way a new puter comes with the stupid recovery disk and all the other crap no one needs. My Lattitude never gave me any problems and has been running in its present form since X-P Pro came out. I will still repair the Lattitude and give it to one of my neices for school.

Can anyone suggest why I would need a different model laptop.. different processor...larger screen (I'm not blind yet), Geforce video card, larger hd? With the Duo-Core processor and 2 gig of ram this thing should be able to do just about anything way better than my old puter... Sorry Joe it won't be used for video games [Confused] .

Also what the heck is XP Media Center Edtion? I might watch a DVD on this thing, download pics from my camera and trade stocks and bonds... what does this XP version have or not have? Since I will use my old HD I can either save the 150 buck XP-Pro price or use it for some other options.

Thanks for your input!

Mark

Specs:
XPS M1210 Qty 1
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300E (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional
Catalog Number: 29 M1210S1
Module Description Show Details
XPS M1210 Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300E (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Professional
A/V Communication Package None
Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 60GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Optical Storage Device 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Card Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Mini Card (802.11 a/g, 54Mbps)
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Carrying Cases Dell Nylon Deluxe Carrying Cas
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

Daniel Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Daniel Wright   Email Daniel Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark let me give you a bit of advice. Avoid Both Gateway and Hewlett Packard. I have had laptops from both companys and both failed shortly after the one year warrenty expired. The Gateway went in for service six times and was never repaired properly. The HP's motherboard fried. Neither machine was ever abused in any way. As for what to buy if it is something you need to take with you when you service sound systems find an old Panasonic tough book. Nothing beats hardened mil spec equipment.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2006 05:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually after doing some more research on it I went ahead and ordered the Dell. It is one amazing computer according to the many reviews I read on line and it always spec'd out on top of the pack in it's size catagory and against many other larger laptops. Customers feedback always rates it a 10. It has gobs of ports including firewire and I got 2gb of ram and the better video card option.... but just a 60 gig hd. Tne glossy front TFT display is also a good thing to have for working on photos and watching DVD's and such and I happen to do alot of photo stuff when I'm on the road. The case is die cast magnesium alloy... yes... Mil-Spec and the stuff inside is shock mounted! Much better than my plastic Lattitude for sure.
Am looking foreword to using it in a week ir so. For some reason or other profuction time for this laptop is less than most other Dells, only about 3 working days and since they work weekends ar Dell I should have it by next Friday.

Here is a link to one review....

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I ordered my new Dell machine (desktop) for the Roxy, it arrived a full 6 days ahead of the predicted ship date, so your new machine is probably in a box leaning against your back door right now. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish! Naw, its still at the confirmed stage in the e-mail they sent me and they will begin building it tommrrow or Monday with a promised ship date by the end of the week. They did say that it would probably ship by Tuesday ro Wednesday though so a Friday delivery is certainly possible. Brad was right on geting a new one, it'll make work alot easier in the long run.

-

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2006 01:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my Dell Inspiron 6000, I ordered on the 9th of the month, and UPS delivered it within 10 days..including free printer.

Love the thing...came with 512m of memory, but two wks ago, I grabed a 1g chip, took out one of the 256m memory SODIMM and replaced it with the 1g SODIMM. Now, I have 1256m of memory in this thing. Helped it really speed things up (course, I got this unit ready to play with Windows VISTA...which this laptop had no probs in handling that new OS Beta2 )

(interesting that DELL units doesn't need their SODIMMS in pairs to operate like some momboard manufacturers require. BIOS accepted that different chip with no problems..and a MICRON chip ...wooo, chip was made just 30 miles away from me..)

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-09-2006 12:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

Thats a nice notebook! Its is possible sometimes to buy the same exact type of memory thats already in the computer. you should always try to get the same type as sometimes differet types of memory will not work as well together as the exact same kind will. The speed at which they work is not always identical leading to comprimises in computing speed and other issues.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: