Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 16mm - Is this possible/feasible (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 16mm - Is this possible/feasible
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 07:29 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I have a 16mm projector but have never been impressed with the optical sound. Also many older 16mm films you can buy have gone pink and are, compared to dvds, expensive.

However would the following idea be practical in a home setting? We will ignore copyright issues for a moment - I am just interested in whether it is technically possible.

First you buy a dvd of your favourite movie - in my case "What's Up Doc".

Next you, using a dark room,project the image on a screen and then using a 16mm camera make a 16mm recording of the film. You record the sound using a digital format on the 16mm optical soundtrack.

Finally you get the film developed and project it in your home.

Feasible?

Regards Peter

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-22-2006 07:39 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There would be some difficulty in keeping the picture and sound in sync, especially if the film had some splices (sections removed.)

I knew a guy who had developed a system to use the existing soundtrack itself on a flim as a 'sync generator' which might be workable for a project like this, if someone really wanted to do it.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 09:45 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like 16mm and wish it was continued as an alternative distribution format but why don't you just project the DVD and watch that. High end DLP projectors and DVD players give incredible results in the home. And if you are a fan of the classics it's a must.

But yeah there's something about watching 16mm...

Sound on 16mm can be fantastic. Depends on the print (they vary a lot) and the projector sound head.

Plus if you film it on 16mm neg film as opposed to reversal the print will be a bit pricey and not really worth it. Also the camera film rolls are not that long. Maybe 1000ft max, even if that.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-22-2006 10:45 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harder than keeping picture and sound synchronized would be trying to capture the projection without horrible flickering problems. The difference of DVD/television frame rates to a film camera frame rate would produce an unwatchable image, I would reckon, that would make the challenge of your project hardly worth the effort. I'm sure there are ways it COULD be done, though.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-22-2006 11:13 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can shoot most LCD monitors which will yield a flickerless picture.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-22-2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically feasible (the picture part, at least) but horrendously expensive and for no obvious benefit, I'd have thought. Two hours worth of 16mm raw stock plus processing would cost a couple of grand at least. If your source is a DVD, what projected picture quality benefit would there be making a DIY kinescope to 16mm over just projecting the DVD? It would just be throwing money away, I'd have thought.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine ran his 35mm, mono print of 2001 A Space Odyssey along with the matrixed Dolby sound out of his Laservision player, as an experiment. The player was right next to his seat. It played perfectly in sync, only needing a bump every now and then at reel changes.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-22-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I ran Carl Davis silents with the sound from a hi-fi VHS. As the projectors both had inverters on them, we rigged up TV monitors next to the machines, and simply adjusted the projector speed on the fly so that the two stayed roughly in sync, simply by cross-checking what was on the TV with what we could see through the portholes. Of course, being music only and with no attempt at lip sync needed, there was a greater margin of error for what would 'look OK'. OK, the audio was only 2.0, but the shows looked and sounded pretty good IMHO.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-23-2006 06:30 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have a film of a television picture. Every glorious line. [Frown]

FWIW, if the camera shutter is 144 deg. or less (I think it is), you will not have vertical retrace problems with NTSC. (Not sure about the format in your country, Peter.)

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 06:45 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Australia has the PAL system but many players can handle NTSC as well.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-23-2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transferring PAL either way is dead easy, with no need to mess around with pulldowns. Just increase the camera (kinescope) or telecine speed to 25fps and that will just scan each frame twice for each 50hz cycle. 99% of punters won't notice the difference. You can't get away with that using NTSC, because you'd end up with 30fps (60hz), which people would notice.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 08:49 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 years ago I use to film TV sets when I worked at australias ABC TV Channel 2, They were called kini's I think, we did them so video footage could be used in film based production at the editing stage. at a time when all shows (except news)location productions were shot and produced on 16mm. Pal @ 25 frames per sec, depending on what style of camera, one had watch for the rolling scan line in the viewfinder, with some if you could see it in the viewfinder it was not on the film, with others what you saw was what you got.
Apart from NASA footage the results were not too exciting.
The cost? today 10 minutes of 16mm film neg is probably $350, prossesing and workprint the same (all up $700) now how long is the movie?. Reversal Film would be cheaper but lesser quality. A Trip to officeworks and you could buy a $899 W/S DLP 4 colourwheel Video Projector that would look better than a kini. DVD in Progressive Scan mode for video projection can look pretty good.

[ 06-26-2006, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Cameron Glendinning ]

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 01:21 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
The cost? today 10 minutes of 16mm film neg is probably $350, prossesing and workprint the same (all up $700) now how long is the movie?. Reversal Film would be cheaper but lesser quality. A Trip to officeworks and you could buy a $899 W/S DLP 4 colourwheel Video Projector that would look better than a kini. DVD in Progressive Scan mode for video projection can look pretty good.

Sounds tempting.

I have heard though that DLP projectors suffer from the "Rainbow Effect". Would it not be better to go with an LCD projector?

Regards Peter

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 01:44 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only some people notice the "Rainbow Effect" on single chip DLP projectors. I'm not one of them. Also, the newer 7-segment color wheels are said to greatly reduce the "Rainbow Effect." See if you can try before you buy.

Every video projector is a trade off of some sort. I like the pixel density and small void area of DLP vs the better color, smoother motion and larger void area of LCD. To my eyes LCD looks more like video. DLP looks more like a comic book.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
A Trip to officeworks and you could buy a $899 W/S DLP 4 colourwheel Video Projector that would look better than a kini.
Maybe but it will still look like crap. Better leave that one in the office.
I've been watching films on DLP projector (DreamVision DL500) for 3 years now where I work and hardly notice any rainbow effect. Might be there but you don't see it all the time. You have to spend at min $5000 (australian) for a decent DLP. LCD to me just ain't as good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: