Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Upgrading Computer Memory

Author Topic: Upgrading Computer Memory
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I purchased a 1 Gig stick of RAM from e-bay (was that a good or bad idea? [uhoh] )

Anyway, once installed it shows up as only being 256MB

Did I do something wrong, off have I been ripped off by an e-bay seller?

(This is DDR RAM and I got the fastest speed.)

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-02-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you got ripped off by the seller, especially if you paid anywhere near what 1GB of DDR memory costs.

Normally a motherboard will either correctly recognize the memory module or not read it at all. I've never heard of a motherboard incorrectly reporting memory amount. I could be wrong though.

The best thing to do for buying memory upgrades is by ordering direct from a good company, such as Crucial. I ordered 2GB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM from them for my Dell notebook a few months ago; the upgrade cost me just under $200 (pretty good deal for American made notebook memory).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2006 02:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...unless, your computer is a proprietary unit that can only use the computer maker' brand of memory..and be installed in pairs...

.. HP's/Compacq .. Packard Bell's were good for this sort of trick.. when it came to desktop/tower configurations...

Also, when you mentioned a 1gig stick of DDR ram..did you match up the number next to the "PC" that was in your machine already?

DDR ram has to match what the momboard requires, or accepts.

Yea..gotta shoot up the ram in this Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook that I have here...have 512 but need to head up to the 1 gig level...

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-03-2006 02:24 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering Michael... what was the previous RAM that was already in the computer?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-04-2006 06:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your motherboard might not be able to deal with that much memory in a single stick, or might need a firmware upgrade in order to do so.

There might be other motherboard issues: for example, mine has four slots. One of the restrictions is that it will only recognise memory in slot 3 if there's another stick of the same size in slot 1, and there are lots of other similar restrictions listed in the motherboard's manual.

So, for a step 1, I'd check out your motherboard's manual and flash in the latest firmware update.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try taking your RAM to a shop that can test it. Then you'll know for sure what you have and how to proceed. We have computer shows here where RAM sellers will provide that service.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2006 05:06 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Leo said you have to check an see if your mobo will even support that much memory. Also the speed (although this will not effect the size that shows up) is important because you can spend more money then you need to because you have to match the FSB speed with your processor.

For instance I will assume since you are using DDR that you have an AMD system. If you have say an XP 2500+ processor this only runs at 166Mhz which would run DDR 333 but an XP 3200+ runs at 200Mhz FSB requiring DDR 400.

DDR 400 should run just fine at slower clock speeds it just depends if the latency timings will work with your other ram.
All this asside if you take out the ram and identify any numbers or stickers with numbers on them you can google them and you will probably get the manufacture's info or the re-sellers but it will probably lead you to the original selling size of the ram.
My gut feeling tells me you got ripped off.
But, do what Leo said and go looking for BIOS upgrades for your MOBO.

Paul

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-05-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry; I meant BIOS rather than firmware (even though that's what the BIOS software is, given that it's stored in an EPROM).

One note of caution if you haven't installed a BIOS update before, though, Michael: you need to be absolutely, 200% sure that you're flashing in the BIOS for the exact model of motherboard in your computer. Even the difference between a MegaMobo GeWiz234Pro Mk. 1 and a Mk. 2 can be crucial. Flash in the wrong one and you run the risk of having buggered the motherboard, totally, utterly and irrevocably. Some flash utilities have a compatibility check that will stop you from putting an incompatible BIOS in, but not all.

I've found that lots of motherboard manuals are written by people for whom English is very obviously a second language, and this can introduce even more confusion. Usually the version numbers provide the best clue - if your current version is, say, 1.2, then if the latest downloadable BIOS is 1.5, the chances are you've got the right one. But if (again, for example) it's 4.82, be very careful before flashing (in an electronic sense - and any other, for that matter!).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: