Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jurassic Park poster (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jurassic Park poster
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2006 01:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I just purchased a double sided, said to be original poster for Jurassic Park. The one I bought has the "Opens June 11th" line in red, a Dolby SR logo, and a DTS logo that looks much like the modern logo. I have, however, seen these posters with the "Digital Experience" DTS logo, but no release date. Anyone know anything about these posters? Either way, I love this poster, as it is my favorite movie. [Smile]

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-02-2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Digital Experience" print version logo for DTS wasn't used on movie posters until just after Jurassic Park was released. The movie posters and other ads printed before the release of Jurassic Park used the normal DTS logo (if it was used at all).

While the Digital Experience logo was cool, it was often mangled and altered in very ugly ways. The changes were made to try to make the logo print in a more readable fashion at smaller sizes. Universal shifted back to using the normal DTS logo in 1995, but even then started jacking around with the Optima lettering above and below the logo. A decade later, we typically see the DTS logo as nothing more than Letraset Dolmen-based letters in a box and nothing else. Very simple. And much more legible.

The DVD release of Jurassic Park uses a later re-issue release credit roll. The sound format logos on the end titles are different from the original release. The Digital Experience logo is one of those butt ugly alterations rather than the normal arrangement we're most familiar with on the flying disc trailer. And that awful Dolby "Tri" logo is thrown in as well, along with the anger-inspiring "verify theatre format" tagline underneath it. The original JP prints had a normal looking Digital Experience logo and a normal Dolby Stereo Spectral Recording logo. Combine that bad credit roll along with the extremely strange choice of using the boring DTS sonic landscape "piano" trailer. At least Univeral went back and fixed the non-existent bass problem on the DTS version of the DVD.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-02-2006 10:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is timely. I just hung a Jurassic Park poster in our theater, and noticed the Dolby SR logo. I thought Jurassic Park wasn't Dolby anything, but was credited as "DTS Stereo" - which was basically Dolby A.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About those sound logos. I hate the way they say "In Selected Theatres" under the logo. As if Dolby or DTS decides who gets digital sound. It ought to say "in better theatres."

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The optical track was Dolby for "Jurassic Park," as was the first few DTS releases. It wasn't until a few months in that Universal started using the DTS brand ("DTS Stereo") for the SVA optical track.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-02-2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, Schindler's List was the first Universal release not to use Dolby noise reduction on the optical track (at least since they started using versions of Dolby NR on any regular basis). It definitely didn't use Dolby SR or Dolby anything. The Digital Experience logo was the only thing credited - at least that comes from a quick glance of my copy of the original motion picture soundtrack CD.

Jurassic Park definitely used Dolby SR on its optical tracks.

Still, they wrongfully jacked around with the sound format logos on later print releases. And it was just flat out wrong to have the piano DTS trailer put on the DVD. I get the flying disc trailer on American Beauty but the piano thingie on the one with the T-Rex versus Ford Explorer attack scene? Yeesh!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Jurassic Park definitely used Dolby SR on its optical tracks.
NOPE! Jurassic Park 35mm prints were Dolby A.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-03-2006 11:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? But I remember seeing the Dolby SR logo on the end titles. Another ads that confuse thing?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-03-2006 11:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 99.9999999% sure that the majority of early DTS mvies were Dolby A. The other .0000001% is because I have not run every DTS movie. I know it was a long time before I saw a DTS print with SR on it. I do remember some of the DTS movies had some non-DTS prints and maybe they had SR.

I think DTS's logic was that if it dropped out of digital for any reason that you'd notice a larger difference between it and A-type than SR, thus making DTS sound like a better technical upgrade to dipshit audiences. Of course back then it was probably a lot cheaper to go with A-Type as well.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-03-2006 11:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if that was their thinking, why not use no NR at all? In fact, let it drop to mono, then they wouldn't have to pay ANY Dolby royalty, which I understand is quite hefty....hefty enough, in fact, when Turner owned the MGM library and struck new 35mm prints of 2001, they didn't add thr Dolby logo anywhere.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-03-2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Jurassic Park 35mm prints were Dolby A.
Thought so. The one I handled recently was definitely Dolby A, but I wasn't sure if there was a dual inventory on that movie or not. I didn't think that there would be. So I guess the poster is wrong.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2006 03:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, the poster is wrong. I might also add that the A track on those prints was absolutely godawful. (The theory/guess was to make the dts comparison sound *that* much better.)

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2006 05:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And it was just flat out wrong to have the piano DTS trailer put on the DVD. I get the flying disc trailer on American Beauty but the piano thingie on the one with the T-Rex versus Ford Explorer attack scene? Yeesh!
That's why I love my DTS Laserdisc!

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-03-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you must ask yourself if it is worth the tradeoff of having super-shitty LaserDisc video as opposed to only semi-shitty DVD video.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super shitty as compared to film, yes. Not shitty at all compared to my old VHS and the just ok DVD. On my 27" Trinitron, that DTS laser holds up well and proves to be much more engaging to watch than any DVD version. If I had anything much bigger, or some HD set with terrible up conversion, I'd say yeah, shitty! Laser was designed for analog NTSC, and in that capacity, it's not bad.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: