Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hey Mac Users: How Can I Capture HD Video?

Author Topic: Hey Mac Users: How Can I Capture HD Video?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 10:19 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you know, I recently bought at 20" iMac. The fact that it's an iMac is significant because there are no slots for PCI cards, so anything I get would need to be USB or Firewire based. I'm wondering if there's a way to hook up my HD receiver and record the HD content in its native format. I'm thinking I could then manipulate it with Final Cut HD, and burn it to either Blu Ray or HD-DVD when they become a little more mainstream. But I imagine that I need something to go between the HD receiver and the iMac. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2006 11:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can do that with an iMac. You can record HDV video over the firewire, but I don't think the iMac has a USB 2 port to record 19 megabits per second. Search Google perhaps.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 01:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new flat panel iMacs have both USB-2 and FireWire-400.

3 USBs and 2 FW.

If you want to take a video input and import it into the iMac you'll need some kind of bridge/converter.

>>> THIS <<< is just one example that I googled up. I don't know if it fits your needs but it's something for you to look at and make a decision. I'm sure you can find other things that do what you want them to do.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-30-2006 02:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To capture HD digital video in any number of formats like (HDV, DVCPRO-HD, HDCAM, etc.) and do so in a reliable and productive manner one typically needs some sort of expensive accelerator card and possibly a really good external RAID setup.

AJA makes a number of different Mac and Windows compatible cards for capturing HD.
AJA Kona for Macintosh
AJA Xena for Windows

Adobe's new Production Studio supports native HDV capture, but requires use of a card such as the AJA Xena|HS to do it.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2006 04:16 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What outputs does your HD receiver have? DVD-D? HDMI?

You may come up against HDCP problems if you try to capture and record HD material. It's far from clear at the moment exactly what will be allowed with HD broadcast material.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-31-2006 04:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HD is already being broadcast... has been for awhile. No HDMI nonsense.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2006 04:53 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much broadcast HD material is there available over there now?

Over here you can buy 'HD ready' televisions, but there are no broadcasts yet; I think they're due to start later this year. Most new televisions here, except the very small ones like my 14 inch, have been 16:9 for some years now, so widescreen will be nothing new, but HD will be. Support for HDCP is one of the requirements for the 'HD ready' logo sticker. Exactly how much content protection there will be isn't yet clear, but my guess is that a lot of material will soon be protected; it's the way that everything seems to be going these days. I doubt when things settle down the situation here will be much different to it will be over there.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-31-2006 06:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sky is currently in the midst of saturation advertising for the HD satellite service it's starting in time for the World Cup. Just think: for only £30 a month (once you've bought your HD telly) you can be treated to pin-sharp footage of English football yobs throwing up in the Alexanderplatz and attempting to start World War Three on the Unter den Linden! [thumbsup]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-31-2006 08:42 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had Dish Network for years, but since I was in an apartment, I only had room for the one dish on my balcony. That means that I only had about six HD channels. Now, since I'm in a house I put up the second dish, and I get about 25 HD channels, some of which have some pretty cool movies on them. Particularly, the Voom Monster channel, but also HD Net Movies, and Universal HD. I thought it would be cool to record these for viewing later. It sounds like it might be more trouble (money) than it's worth at this early stage though. Maybe I'll just wait for a HD-DVD or Blu Ray recorder.

Thanks for the responses.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like what you really want is a PVR. Your satellite provider probably offers one.

For people who are getting their HD content via cable, you can ask your provider for a cable box with firewire output. In the US, regulations require them to give you such a box if you ask. Unfortunately, I don't believe any such regulation exists for satellite providers. Once you have a box with firewire output, it is very easy to capture the transport stream. Instructions for doing this with a Mac can be found here.

Also, Elgato makes a line of HD capture devices which can be used with the Mac, although it is doubtful any of them would help you get the HD data directly from the satellite into your computer. Their products tend to be more for caputre of over-the-air signals.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: