Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » No Sony CRT-based TV sets anymore (RIP Trinitron) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No Sony CRT-based TV sets anymore (RIP Trinitron)
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 05:31 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went shopping on the weekend to buy my mother (for her 71st birthday!) a new TV.

I was shocked to discover that Sony (my favourite brand of TV set) no longer manufacture CRT TV's anymore. They have abandoned that technology entirely in favour of LCD screens. (For that matter - interestingly enough - it seems as though they have abandoned Plasma technology too). Stock levels of the old CRT models are virtually extinct everywhere. (Fortunately, I was able to track down one of the last ones).

The problems with this is that LCD sets mostly don't look as good as conventional sets, as well as being far more expensive for the same screen size. I don't want to pay 2-3 times more for something worse!

So where does this leave us? Bobby Henderson has mentioned here several times that LCD computer screens don't offer sufficient resolution for his graphic design practice. Are they going to continue to make CRTs for specialty applications, or not at all?

Sony Trinitron - I'll miss you...

Michael.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 07:10 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if they have totally abandoned CRTs, the Sony Web Store still has a few available. Just a few months ago, I was able to buy one of the last issue of the KD34XBR960n model, a nearly 200lb. CRT HDTV set. I had to search like hell for it though, most of the retailers in the area don't touch tube sets at all anymore, including Sony's own retail stores (they told me CRTs account for less than 10% of sales, while at the same time agreeing that tubes have a superior picture. Go figure). In all my searching, I found only one LCD based set that I thought had a really great picture, but it was $15,000 without a tuner (the Sony Qualia 003, now itself discontinued).

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember paying a good sum of money for a Sony G200 17"
monitor some years ago, and it's a decision I've never
regretted once. Very capable monitor, it will sync to nearly
any combination of VGA-ish signal and the picture looks
stunning. Once you've spent some minutes fiddling with the
geometry controls to make it look neat.

I had to have the main on/off switch replaced under warranty,
but that's the only difficulty I've had with it.

R.I.P. Trinitron.

Alex.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-29-2006 05:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they make ANY LCD sets with a real HDTV resolution. I think all Sony sets are 768p, which has nothing at all to do with HDTV. Why they can't make them 720p is beyond me. I think they'd look better at their native resolution instead of being upscaled a tiny bit. Then they have those fake 1080p sets. Any set that won't accept a 1080p input is a fake 1080p set.

SED is supposed to be better than LCD and plasma, right? When is that coming?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 06:27 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their Vega models' (or Wega depending on which store you frequent) pictures have been severely over modulated for years. My roommate's early model is probably the nicest to watch, but to do so is greatly benefitted by turning OFF the velocity modulation, a feature Sony loves, yet turns any image into a muddy, over-sharp bastard. The newer models got worse with it. Sadly it's a feature preset to high when taken out of the box.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-29-2006 06:45 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SED is coming later this year in limited numbers and going wide next year. Personally, I wouldn't consider spending plasma amounts of money until seeing these SED displays. SED is rumored to be the plasma killer.

Sony's SXRD (LCOS LCD) Grand Wega RP sets are 1920x1080 native and claim 1080p. Haven't verified the 1080p, but I have seen the 50" and 60" versions in stores and have been impressed. But it does depend on the store - the SXRD sets at Fry's here looked like crap, but the ones at Best Buy looked very good. Imagine that. [Smile]

Yes, RIP Trinitron. Those were some great CRTs.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-29-2006 06:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been confused why Sony pronounces "Wega" as "Vega"? It is clearly spelled with a "W". If that is supposed to be a "V", then that indicates that the TV must have some SEVERE convergence issues! Or perhaps Sony is just retarded and/or has no respect for the English langauge? If that is the case, I think I will start spelling ソニー as たわごと instead!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-29-2006 06:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current SXRD sets will not accept a 1080p signal via the HDMI input (or any other input AFAIK), even though the set is technically capable of handling it. The same is true of some other makes of 1080p sets. So the magazine reviewers say anyway. There are a few that will take a 1080p input, like HP and Westinghouse.

[ 05-29-2006, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-29-2006 08:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Sony stops making CRT televisions, AFAIC, there will be no reason to buy any Sony product anymore.

Their products have slowly turned to crap, over the years. The Trinitron tube is the only reason I would buy a Sony, nowadays.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that CRT based TV died about 2 years ago. The supply chain is THAT long. There are no CRT factories in the Americas. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fine because the best TVs are usually made in Japan.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2006 08:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
There are no CRT factories in the Americas.

There are still a few in the U.S. but nothing being made for the big set manufacturers. Clinton Electronics near Rockford, IL. is a large manufacturer of all types of CRT's. They also do custom work too... they have restored two CRT's for my antique televisions over the years and did an excellent job.

FWIW the Trinitron CRT always had lower screen resolution than dot matrix type CRT's. So you all that are in love with the Trinitron have been getting less image detail all these years. Trinitrons are rarely ever used in critical broadcast applications and in most large studios are relegated to be used as audience montors and such. The best feature of the trinitron crt was always its long life span.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2006 11:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older Trinitron that has pretty good resolution. But recently I went looking for a good 20 inch analog CRT set. The Sony Trinitron definitely had less horizontal resolution and MUCH worse color than the Toshiba I ended up going with.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 12:47 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading about the KV-32XBR100 back in the day. Supposedly this was the best CRT to ever hit US shores. I've always wanted one...and even in the digital age, I still kinda do.

AJG

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-31-2006 02:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Britain's two CRT factories both closed in the last few years - there was one in South Wales which went in '03 or '04, I think, and the LG factory just south of Newcastle closed last year. I suppose there are powerful environmental arguments against CRTs (and let's face it, cheap and nasty ones look dreadful), but I've yet to see a TFT or plasma that can achieve the black density of a decent one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: