Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Model of Century Projector

Author Topic: Model of Century Projector
Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -

The above images are screen shots from a computer generated animation of the Century projector head. I have been working on this project since Feb and aim to use it as a visual rep for training. All moving parts are functional and there is also moving oil in the intermittent, a xenon light beam and the film progresses through the mechanism. MAybe it would be a fine addition to the video section?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice! Talented chap.

Just a small point, the fibre gear driving the intermittent looks like the shutter drive gear, remember the intemrittent drive gear slides on it's keyways and as such is one of the most crucial points for cleaning and lubrication on the whole mech.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tommie!

Very nice work! What CAD software are you using?

I would be careful of a couple of things, though. You copyrighted YOUR work...however, if you tend to make $$ from this work, then I would check with Strong for their approval to ensure that you are not infringing on their copyrights!

Your work might be interpreted as "reverse engineering", and this is a very touchy subject in todays world of manufacturing! Just don't open yourself up to trouble.

Regards

Will Kutler

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-27-2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Century gear train dates back to pre-World War II so probably any design copyrite is long expired.....Cinemeccanica France did a digital animation of the V-5 projector some years ago which where pretty nice.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-27-2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see any copyright infringement in the slightest...even if it was a brand new projector. The image is an artists' interpretation of the machine...it is not an ACAD drawing on the manufacturer of it. The sprocket drive gears, for instance, do not really represent the sizes and pitch. It doesn't matter for this sort of illustration.

Now if Strong (or anyone else) had made this very same drawing and all Tom did was animate it...then there could be some issues.

Reverse engineering is indeed a fine line...generally if you come up with the know-how without looking "inside" you are on the right side of the law but proving what you knew and how you came by that knowledge could keep you in court.

For things like software/firmware, one has to copy the source code to really infringe. Anyone that has coded knows there are limitless ways of writing a program to do the same thing...just some are more efficient and reliable than others.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-27-2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeepers, that's nice work! Sure beats the heck out of the little models in my animation.

FWIW, I think if Strong already had an animation resembling this one, then Tommie would be mired in a copyright infringement issue -- of the animation. He's not making a prototype of the machine. It's artwork.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
Cinemeccanica France did a digital animation of the V-5 projector some years ago which where pretty nice.
So, they corrected the shake? [Smile]

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2006 10:02 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Evans,

I would like to see it in the video section if Brad would like to post it.

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 08:49 AM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm using Cinema 4D V9. . .
Here are a few screen shots from the video to wet your appetite!
 -

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if he could make a similar video of a Simplex or Brenkert. BTW some fictional Brenkert model numbers if Brenkert was still existent:-BX-870,BX-80AT2E (all electronic with built in soundhead & automatic dual lens turret) BX-1570,BX1570-I (IMAX) BX-870 & BX-1570 referring to the film format while the BX-80AT2E is 35mm.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely beautiful. How about a DP 70?

Thomas

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: