Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I got my CDL yesterday ! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I got my CDL yesterday !
John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 12:41 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 14 days of intensive driver training..I passed the driving skills portion of the CDL ( Commercial Driver's Locense ) test yesterday! I now have a full class A CDL and will be driving this truck locally for about 3 weeks and then will run with an over-the-road instructor for about 4 weeks and if I do as good as I have in the past 3 weeks, I will then be issued my own rig and start operating the 9 wetsern states!! The driving skills test is a 3 part exam and is quite challenging! I had a very experienced instructor who was able to whip me into shape the last 14 working days! I am enjoying the new work too! getting lots of excercise throwing pallets at the docks and other duties!! For those of you who have never been behind the wheel of a big truck, I emplore you to take heed to them on the road ! It takes a great deal of knowlege and skill to safely roll along the road in an 80,000 lb + vehicle! Give the trucks some room and repsect on the road!! And Tim Reed...maybe we will cross paths one of these days!!

[ 05-26-2006, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: John Eickhof ]

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John

Now that you have your CDL, you can come to Tucson and become an Old Pueblo Trolley volunteer via streetcar operator training! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-20-2006 01:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Tim Reed...maybe we will cross paths one of these days!!

Hopefully they won't meet at the same exact spot at the same exact second each with that 80,000 lb load....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-20-2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you don't just "thread and push start" on those big rigs? [Wink] I mean, pretty soon, won't the shipping managers be driving the trucks in addition to what they are supposed to be managing? After all, if someone above them says they can and should do it, it must be possible, right?

I, who always give trucks extra room and courtesy light flashes on lane changes...after all they are much bigger and heavier than me). As my dad loves to say...."He was right-dead-right as he sped along but he was just as dead as if he was dead-wrong." Something to always keep in mind when driving any vehicle.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-20-2006 04:26 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the big deal? I've had my CDL (California Drivers License) with motorcycle endorsement for 20+ years! HA!

(Congrats John!)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-20-2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that is a "Completely Disfunctional Lunatic" for you Phil. And it is more of a certification than a license in your case as well!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 08:58 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, does Phil have an ole-fashioned "bananna bicycle seat" on his scooter?....

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-21-2006 02:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congratulations, hand! You surprise me, though. I thought you were already licensed? Did you go through all that hazmat fingerprinting b.s.? My endorsement expires this year, so I'm debating on whether to renew it or not. A lot of companies dropped hazmat requirements when all that background check business started. I guess you also got tanker and double/triple endorsements?
quote: John Eickhof
It takes a great deal of knowlege and skill to safely roll along the road in an 80,000 lb + vehicle!
Amen, brother, amen. More than people realize. The stopping distances, air brake reaction time, huge blind spots, countersteering obstacles and rollover avoidance, height and width clearances, manuvering city streets in a 75ft. long vehicle.. It was more than I realized, too, before I got in this line of work. [thumbsup]

Btw..I'm drivin' a 2006 version of this:

-
quote: Steve Guttag
You mean you don't just "thread and push start" on those big rigs? I mean, pretty soon, won't the shipping managers be driving the trucks in addition to what they are supposed to be managing?
ROFL! Steve, that's hilarious! [Smile]

John, one of these days I'm going to start a thread and call it "Stupid 4-wheeler Tricks" just to chronicle some of the outrageous things some people do around big trucks. For instance, one thing I see in NYC a lot... cars passing you on the left (that's the proper side to pass, btw) will flash their high beams at you while they're coming up alongside you, as if to say, "Hey, notice me! I'm over here." Well, a lot of truckers take that action as a signal that it's okay to change lanes! If a (truck) driver is wanting to change lanes and has his attention focused up ahead or on his blind side, seeing those high beams come on may be the cue he's waiting for to move over... and ONTO the car! But, you say, it would be the truck driver's fault. Yes, but most-likely the truck driver will walk away from that wreck. There's a very good chance the 4-wheeler driver will not.

So, whenever someone does that to me, I always throw on my turn signal, just to make them think.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, John! [thumbsup] Like with other big-rig drivers, a courtesy flash of the headlights is in order.

Steve G's "thread and push start" comment had me thinking...are automatic transmissions now available on truck tractors? If that's the case, it sure sounds like the end of the world as I knew it, sort of like digital cinema taking over tried-and-true film!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 09:20 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly is the proper signals to provide while overtaking or being overtaken?

In my 4 wheeler, I will flash the headlights on/off when a truck has cleared me while passing.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-22-2006 11:31 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the signal I've always used - kill the headlights briefly at night/headlights on briefly in the daytime to signal that the passing truck can come back into the lane ahead of me.

Heh heh, I'm in the process of getting my Class B CDL back. Driving is something I've always enjoyed, whether it be planes or buses or boats doesn't seem to matter. The destination doesn't matter either, it's the going that's the fun part.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish some truckers would learn that they can't accelerate very fast at highway speeds (or any speed I guess). Nothing drives me more nuts than when I'm cruising along on cruise control in the fast lane and a truck in the right lane decides to pass. Instead of waiting 5 seconds for me to pass and then going behind me, they pull in front of me and then take a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time to finally get enough speed up to complete the pass.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 12:12 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I did not go for the hazmat endorsement..the FBI background check, fingerprinting and other 'big brother' BS is too much for me..plus MX specializes in refigerated and dry vans only so I really don't want to deal with hazmat! I do have semi, doubles and triples endorsements so I should be covered for most jobs! ( I probably will go for the tanker endorsement later on in case I need to haul milk from the local daries )I had a Class 1 in Cal. back in the 1970's when I was in the towing business with my Brother in law. We had a 1949 Autocar 2 axle 4x4 (all wheel drive) with a Cummins and a 5 & 3 speed and Holmes 600 wrecker.. it was usually my truck and I would pull 18 wheelers over Donner Summit on I-80 during the winter months! A lot of hard work I may add!

Jon Miller..I think the new Sterlings and Marmons are available with an automatic trans!! Probably other makes as well! I am happy shifting gears myself!! Plus these modern transmissions sure do shift easier than the old 'crash boxes' ( no synchromesh trans of yesteryear!!
 -

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-26-2006 05:38 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, John, that's a nice Pete there, brother! Double-bunk, too! Is that your trainer's truck? I couldn't pull a reefer, though. Grocery warehouses and that noise! I can't sleep next to a reefer, either.

I'm still debating on whether or not to renew my hazmat. Same reasons as yours.
quote: Jon Miller
are automatic transmissions now available on truck tractors?
Yes, they are more-accurately called "autoshifts", since the transmission is fundamentally the same one used in the standard versions, only with a box on top that does the shifting for you. They've been around for at least 10 years.

Until recently, autoshifts had a driver clutch pedal for starting and stopping only; going down the road, it shifts the gears for you. Now, there are "fully-automatics" which have no clutch pedal. All 6,000 trucks in the US Xpress fleet are autoshifts. Mine has an Eaton-Fuller Ultrashift (fully automatic) 10-speed. More and more companies are going to autoshifts because they are very reliable (you never have to worry about losing a gear going downgrade!). I doubt very seriously I'd still be on the road if I had to shift gears all day. That's a lot of work. But, like John says, some guys enjoy it. [Smile]
quote: Paul Konen
What exactly is the proper signals to provide while overtaking or being overtaken?
Overtaking, none. Overtaken: headlights off and on. Since most cars have DRLs now, it's evolved into highbeams on/off. And NEVER while you're still alongside the truck! [Eek!] It's really from the days of 2-lane roads, when a truck had to get back over asap because of oncoming traffic, but it's stuck today. Most drivers can tell when they're cleared, but it does help to get the signal when it's raining or traffic is closing in tight.
quote: Lyle Romer
Nothing drives me more nuts than when I'm cruising along on cruise control in the fast lane and a truck in the right lane decides to pass. Instead of waiting 5 seconds for me
I can tell you exactly why that happens. It's because the drivers of most cars will speed up when you throw your turn signal on and/or come up and hang right on your trailer tandems where you can't change lanes. Besides, if a trucker needs to get around someone, he has to jump out in the hammer lane at some point... [Wink]

FWIW, we feel the same way when a four-wheeler comes down an on-ramp and slows down... when, if he'd just keep going, he'd smoothly merge in front of your truck... and after you change lanes for him, he stomps on it. That pees me off more than anything. It's like, why didn't you DO THAT when you were on the ramp! Those acceleration lanes are there for you to match your speed with traffic. I've gotten where I just throw on my turn signal when they come out and making them think I'm moving over for them makes them stand on it (heaven forbid they should get behind a truck!)

Oh, yes, I forgot to add, if a car comes on in front of you, he will go slow. If he comes on behind you, he can't get around you fast enough! Happens 98% of the time.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

People not knowing how to use acceleration lanes drives me nuts as well (and I don't drive a truck). People need an education on how to merge properly. People, it is called an ACCELERATION lane.

Thanks for the explanation on why trucks do what they do. Maybe I won't get so upset next time now that I know.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: