Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why are most multi-screen theatres named with the number of screens? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why are most multi-screen theatres named with the number of screens?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 09:40 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean really, why does anybody need to know how many screens there are? As long as the movie you want to see is playing at a time convenient for you what's the difference if there are 3 or 300 other shows playing around the building?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-18-2006 10:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When multiplex theatres were first being built (unfortunately some were multiplexed by poorly dividing well-designed larger auditoriums), including the number of screens in the name was likely used to let the consumer know they had additonal choices of films in what used to be a single-screen situation. For a while, during the "megaplex" craze, there seemed to be a numbers game to see which circuit could build and advertise the most number of screens on a given site, sometimes without regard to the quality of the viewing experience, especially on the smaller screens.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-18-2006 10:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a correlation between bragging about screen count and penis size. Whatever number is larger, the better. Nevermind that somewhere along the line that number no longer denotes "inches" but rather "centimeters" or mere "milimeters." I've seen 30-plex sites with screening rooms as tiny as some living rooms, where 20 of the screens in the site could fit on the footprint of a traditional 8-plex.

Yes, it does not matter in the slightest who has the most screens. What matters above all is who has the BEST screens. I can watch only one movie at one time on one screen. So that quality thing is really the only relevant thing -at least from the customer's point of view.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2006 01:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess the best name for a cinema would be "Movieplex 25 Best Screens."

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-19-2006 07:29 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see on http://www.moviewatcher.com/ that AMC has seen fit to re-name the Uptown in DC to the "Uptown 1." [Eek!]

In keeping with this trend, I think that Mike should re-name his theatre to "Roxy 1."

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 08:11 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 1970's the best theater in my home town was called the "Video" twin. It grew up one day and became the "Video" 4. Always thought that was a really dumb a**ed name for a movie theater.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-19-2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The corporate name conjurers lack the originality to do anything better. Same goes for the auditorium decorators. Maybe they could try honesty with something like "The Ordinary 24", or "Average Theatres for Average People", "The Dumpy Cinemas 12"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-19-2006 12:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Keith Peticolas
Back in the 1970's the best theater in my home town was called the "Video" twin. It grew up one day and became the "Video" 4. Always thought that was a really dumb a**ed name for a movie theater.
Lawton had a theater called the "Video Triple." Carmike operated it through much of its life. The place closed in the late 1990s and now a hardware store is using the building.

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2006 08:14 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video Independent Theatres, a modest-sized circuit headquartered in Oklahoma City, started using the name Video on their new theatres in the 1970s, which was late in its life. Most were two-screens, but a few were one and three-screen.

Video was started in the teens as Griffith Theatres. It evolved into Video Independent Theatres in 1949, and was absorbed by Martin Theatres in 1982. Martin subsequently became Carmike Cinemas. Griffith/Video were tough operators, and were the dominant circuit in Oklahoma for many years.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2006 09:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
In keeping with this trend, I think that Mike should re-name his theatre to "Roxy 1."
The address labels we get from TDS (New Line's promo company) already call us that, so we're partway there already! [Wink]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-19-2006 10:23 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
National Amusements officially named their multiplex in Davenport, Iowa "Showcase Cinemas 53".

It's named this because it's on 53rd St.

It has 18 screens.

Somebody at NA has a sense of humor.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 01:28 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been thought by the corporate big boys for a couple of decades that multiple auditoriums, digital sound and stadium seating will cause the movie going public to flock to their cinemas. The truth of the matter is that good product, good service and reasonable prices will build business. I'm all for the technological advances our industry has made but I'd rather offer the public a good film with mono sound on a sloped floor in a single screen house than some of the digitalized garbage that's come out in the last few years. If we'd get back to making good product instead of offering the public only CGI special effects and digital sound on our multiple screens (which really only draw techno-geeks anyway) we could all smile on the way to the bank.

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 03:51 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical big business b.s. bigger is always better,etc.
We have a chain up here in canada called Famous Players. Their motto is: Big Screen
Big sound
Bid Difference!
YA....OK! How bout big dump. These places are so poorly run. The screen is floor to ceiling and wall to wall, therefore the image is stretched so bad it looks like a really cheap video projector image. Almost always out of focus. The real projectionists are long gone and when you finaly find someone to tell them the focus is really off half of them don't even know what your talking about!! One manager I talked to remembered me from a different theatre and asked me if I could come up to the booth as she had NO IDEA what I was talking about or how to fix it! (yes...I did go up....I felt bad for her.) Give me a Single screen mom & pop theatre ANY DAY over the Big Dump 20 plex. By the way famous players.....The Drive-in down the road has a screen more than DOUBLE the size of your biggest screen. They also still have a REAL projectionist and the presentation is Beautiful.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-22-2006 08:32 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert: Much money has been spent in this industry to "lure the public." My personal concern is that a lot of this money has been spent to "fool ourselves." IMO multiple auditoriums (beyond that needed for booking requirements) and rocking chair seats fall into that area. Assuming that the seat is serviceable and clean, who really cares? As stated above, I can only see one auditorium at a time.

Wouldn't all concerned be better off to have fewer, better screens? Louis

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-22-2006 11:42 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The number of auditoriums is one of the various options open to a customer. We could name our theatres after other options we offer; for instance, the number of different popcorn sizes/combos. We are the Irvine Spectrum 3 now. [Razz] Of course, that in no way distinguishes us from any other theatre.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: