Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oh bugger The Da Vinci Code! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oh bugger The Da Vinci Code!
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-16-2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who has got thoroughly bored with all the ballyhoo around this book/film? Here's the latest bullshit to hit the Internet:

quote: The BBC, believe it or not!
The Da Vinci Code is one of the greatest phenomena in the history of fiction publishing...
[puke]

Come on! It's an OK, quite well written shit lit novel from which (by all accounts - I haven't seen it) an OK film got made, which has been relentlessly plastered all over the media for weeks, mainly because of religious expressions of objection which have been intelligently PR-hyped by the film's promoters. But really, does this justify the saturation coverage that is being inflicted on us? 'One of the greatest phenomena in the history of fiction publishing'? It reminds me of a government official who described what was, in the big scheme of things, a pretty small-scale incident as 'the biggest cock-up ever', thereby relegating the Charge of the Light Brigade, the Battle of Arnhem, etc. etc., to the status of trivial footnotes.

I read the book on a flight from Amsterdam to Minneapolis last summer, was grateful that it got rid of nine hours of monotony and then forgot all about it until this fuss kicked off. I would be interested to know how it managed to make the jump from just another novel on the airport bookshelf to a 'media event' that has snowballed to this extent.

Rant over!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Religion on the screen makes people notice the movies. The controversy seems to trump the fact that the film is yet another adaptation in yet another season with plenty of sequels & transposing of other media, in this case the overrated book.

Not to mention the book on the conspiracy that came before Da Vinci. Holy Blood, Holy Grail wasn't it? Perhaps reverse the title. NBC-Universal also gets plenty of content for their networks during the whole rigamarole, too. News agencies can pen marketing-based pieces instead of reporting better stories. And a successful film is always a great way to make D-cinema look possible after the huge turnout at poorly run multiplexes with awful presentation craves 'a better moviegoing experience'

Maybe they were shooting for it to seem more like National Treasure, but with a better possible international box take?

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-16-2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thoroughly bored? (raises hand) [Roll Eyes]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-16-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
Maybe they were shooting for it to seem more like National Treasure, but with a better possible international box take?
Well the most common comment on National Treasure was that it was a "poor man's Da Vinci Code" or something to that effect.

Me, I am more than happy to listen to the hype. Puts butts in the seats. I'm just glad to be kicking off the summer with a high-profile Tom Hanks/Ron Howard movie for a change.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-16-2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean it's not true?

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's a freakin movie people! get over it!!!!

(comment not directed at Film-tech members)

I actually enjoyed the book knowing full well it is FICTION!!!

Looking forward to the movie as Ron Howard and Tom Hanks usually put out some decent product. Hope this film has long legs.

Rant off.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 06:11 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will wait for the book to go in to the bargain bin (£1.99 or less) before I read it.

some time next week. [Big Grin]

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
Thoroughly bored? (raises hand)
<raises hand>

Exactly, it's just a movie. Just like "Passion of the Christ".. people being paid to say words from a paper.

Nobody's forcing people to go see it. Here's a good way to show your opinion on the movie: STAY HOME.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-17-2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liked the book......Tom Hanks as the lead [puke]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read three of Dan Brown's four books. In my opnion, Angels and Demons is by far the best one (from a story standpoint). Although Brown is a decent writer, all his books have a bit of sameness to them.

Somewhat of a spoiler alert...

There always seems to be some vast conspiracy with powerful people or an organization behind it. There is always some kind of countdown happening where events have to transpire in a certain timeframe. And there is always a stooge (or stooges) being controlled by a mysterious individual with a nickname ("The Teacher", "The Architect"). And finally, it always turns out that there was no vast conspiracy and that the "individual with the nickname" was the sole person responsible (who always turns out the be someone the main character trusted) for the entire event. So take this formula, insert either a government or religious conspiracy and you have a Dan Brown book. [Roll Eyes]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-17-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Clint Koch
Looking forward to the movie as Ron Howard and Tom Hanks usually put out some decent product...
Oh great! Opie and Dopie!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Sony & their networks will be the preoccuppied ones. Everytime I see Imagine entertainment I think Universal, based on repetition.

Good call on the poor man's line, Mike. I honestly didn't even scrape the IMDB boards before comparing the two. Yeah, Illuminatti & the like really sell. Like the X-Files for people that don't feel like discussing the piece with nerds.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 01:56 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's at ZERO % ROTTEN at rottentomatoes.com [Eek!]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been hearing bad things about the movie for over a month now.

I hope my lowered expectations make the movie seem that much more enjoyable.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-17-2006 04:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two critics slagged it on the radio just now, too. One made the point that the amount of factual detail in the book and the relative absence of violent action made it practically unfilmable. I tend to agree - that's also the reason why, IMHO, there have been no entirely successful film adaptations of novels by other 'documentary fiction' writers such as Frederick Forsyth and Nevil Shute.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: