Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » David Blaine's Drowned Alive Stunt (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: David Blaine's Drowned Alive Stunt
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-08-2006 05:05 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really understand this guy, although I do find him mildly interesting.

Anyone going to watch tonight? Too bad it's on during 24, which means that I'll probably miss it.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-08-2006 05:50 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have to watch it purely for the entertainment factor.

David Blaine's street magic TV specials are supposedly pure BS. Everything is set up in advance and carefully controlled. Completely bogus.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-08-2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I don't see how it is "magic" or even "illusion."

The guy spends a week in a water-filled ball. Or a month in an elevated box. Whoopie-doo!

I have a good trick for the guy to try. Let's have David Blaine try to eat 400 pounds of powdered mildew within an hour without dying -or throwing up. That would be some trick. I might tune in for that.

I might also tune into a show where David Blaine gets beaten about the head, neck and chest by midgets wielding hard rubber mallets. Joe R. might tune into that too...at least if it's on broadcast TV. He ain't paying for any damned cable!
[Razz]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-08-2006 10:20 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- SNL had a couple funny jokes about it on Weekend Update.

1) David Blaine is going to break the record for the world's most shriveliest penis.

2) David Blaine is going to spend X number of days in a ball filled with water. When he gets out he might actually do something magic.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, apparently he almost killed himself. He failed at holding his breath for nine minutes, and failed at escaping.

Quality TV at its finest. I have more fun watching my turtle swim in his tank.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But he succeeded at killing time between sponsors & distracting some of the nation for a week! Houdini never took a week. People must have had better things to do back then.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 12:07 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's certainly true. I wonder how the ratings shook out.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The human brain will begin to suffer irrepairable damage if deprived of oxygen for 3-5 minutes.

Assuming that, holding ones breath under water, a person has 2-3 miutes of reserve air, that still leaves him/her 1 minute OVER the limit.

The way I see it, Blaine could NOT have done the stunt without using drugs (to slow the heartbeat, etc. etc.) or using some secret device to supply him with oxygen.

Therefor, he MUST have known that he would (or had a significant chance to) fail.

I didn't watch because I have never seen Blaine do a stunt or an illusion that couldn't be bought at a Hank Lee's or Tannin's magic shops. I had no interest in seeing a stunt that was either doomed to fail or was a complete sham.

My first impression of Blaine was when he used a Svengali Deck to make some skanky steet ho' jump up and down and scream because she thought he read her mind after she (was forced to) picked the Queen of Spades. (This is a trick that most kids learn in 8th grade!)

The guy's a hack with a good P.R. man. Nothing more.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 04:54 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He did hold his breath for 7 minutes and 8 seconds.

I think he was stupid for doing this, not only did he risk brain damage, he also possibly risked nerve damage in his hands and feet (for being in the water for 7 days straight). Since he was going for a Guiness Record, it was for real - it was not magic. I prefer magic to stupidity.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, he had a breathing apparatus that he wasn't trying to conceal. Either that or I just took it for granted.

Yes, its quite the feat, risking excessive prune skin & skin disease, but Blaine's stunt comes off as attention-whorish when you consider other forms of stunt entertainment.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-09-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
David Blaine is a dumbass for risking his life like that for a stupid stunt.

I wonder what George would say about Blaine's "shrinkage"...?

I watched "The Apprentice". [thumbsup]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the stunt. I only saw one 15 second spot for it on TV. It didn't impress me. I didn't pay attention.

He could have use a "Window Sleep" technique, wherby he secretly substitutes a double for himself at opportune moments when nobody is watching. (Except for a "security guard" who is actually on the magician's payroll.)

The technique comes from the Vaudeville days of magic. When a new mage came to a town he would often stand in the public square and "hypnotize" a willing subject from the crowd. (Actually a paid stooge.) The stooge would be put to sleep, laid in a bed and displayed in in the front window of a department store or some other prominent building in town.

A "Security Guard" (Another stooge) was paid to sit there and make sure that the sleeping person stayed in bed. He would "swear" that the person never woke up.

Three days later, the sleeping person would be brought to the theater and dramatically reawaken in front of the audience.

It was GREAT publicity for an otherwise unknown magician or mentalist!

The secret was that all the important parties were paid off well in advance. The "sleeper" would be allowed to secretly leave his bed and could spend his/her time as he wanted as long as it was out of the public view. A body-double or a mannequin would take the place of the sleeper when the townspeople weren't paying attention. The only time the "sleeper" needed to actually be in the bed was a few hours during daylight times and at the beginning and end of the stunt.

Point being: Blaine probably could NOT have survived 7-8 days being submerged in water with little or no clothes on, even with a respirator. I don't care how warm the water is. I don't care how much food or fresh water he was given. He HAD to urinate or defecate at least once! There is NO way for a person to survive that long without sleep, yet still be sentient enough to perform a death-defying stunt like an immersion/drowning test.

I propose that Blaine never spent all that time under water and that he never inteneded to successfully complete the stunt in the first place. I believe that this is a publicity stunt for some bigger event down the road.

It's just like the way Evel Kenevel would try to jump over a row of busses at Wembly Stadium, full-well KNOWING that he wouldn't make it. He only did it so he could grandstand afterward and pitch his NEXT big stunt... Jumping over the Grand Canyon! (Which he never actually completed, either!)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Everything is set up in advance and carefully controlled. Completely bogus.
You just described every magician in the history of the universe.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been widely reported, at least in all the stories I read, that Blaine had an attachment bag of sorts to pee in. As for #2, I think he read he once fasted for 40 days and didn't need to go #2 so...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-09-2006 08:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that people eat worms and spiders and all forms of vermin and drink even worse cuisinart blended stuff on Fear Factor without concern for whatever bacteria and viruses known and unknown could be present in this vomit, Blain's risk was small to middling. Seems there is no limit to what people will do to get on TV -- risk seems to be irrelevant.

In fact, in terms of real danger, it probably was less risky than what others have done for their 15 minutes of fame. I give you Timothy "Bear-nip" Tredwell, tempting humgry bears on camera, almost defying them -- "betja can't eat just one limb" --to make him their Happy Meal, and then a couple of ill-tempered, massive brown bears serving him up as so much claw-lickin good snack food (would you like fries with that?). How's that for wending one's way to Infamy Through Stupidity?

I say, in the scheme of things, it's not really as terrible as it might sound at first blush -- hey, it's just nature's evolutionary way of weeding out the morbidly stupid from the gene pool.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: