Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Tasmanian Mine Tragedy

Author Topic: Tasmanian Mine Tragedy
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Hi You may have heard about the tragedy at Beaconsfield Mine.

Its late on Sunday evening here and the rescuers, who are doing a great job are getting closer to getting the two trapped miners out. For those that haven't heard there was a minor earthquake which caused a rockfall at the Beaconsfield Mine in Beaconsfield, Tasmania. 1 miner was killed and 2 of his colleagies have been trapped for over a week in a small metal cage surrounded by fallen rock. The rescuers are tunnelling to get them out as I write this. It is a difficult and dangerous rescue mission. It will probably end up as a Hollywood movie with Tom Cruise in view of the real life drama.

For those interested the Mine's website makes interesting reading with lots of photos.

http://www.beaconsfieldgold.com.au/

Sadly one of Australia's veteren journalists, Richard Carleton, had a heart attack and died just after interviewing the mine manager. He was surrouned by hundreds of people at the time.

I am sure you, like me, are all praying that the guys out soon and safely.

Regards Peter

|  IP: Logged

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2006 08:13 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really watch television and apart for the Saturday I don't read the newspapers so, like most events I have not been following this but from what I have heard the media is milking this for all it's worth. It is a tragic incident but do we really need the shenanigans.
Apparently people are already getting front row seats for the big event (when the trapped miners are freed) [Roll Eyes]

I hope the 2 miners will be safe and well and an incident like this doesn't occur again and I hope the family get through a tough time of losing a loved one.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 04:33 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two miners are free and in good shape according to a news flash here. It is reported that one even wanted to stop at McDonalds on his way to the hospital. Good news does sometimes get reported.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 06:08 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad about the thousands of coal mine workers who die in China every year [Frown]
These guys are lucky and I wish them well.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Koutsoumis
Apparently people are already getting front row seats for the big event (when the trapped miners are freed)
Similar to the idiots at the local Pittsburgh TV stations back in January when it was announced the 12 trapped coal miners in West Virginia were OK when in actuallity all but one was dead. Those fools couldn't wait to scoop each other and they all looked like complete assholes when it came time to retract the story.

For the record they were KDKA (CBS channel 2), WTAE (ABC channel 4), and the biggest tabloid of them all WPXI (NBC channel 11).

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yes there out and recieving all of the benefits aswell.
A tv show on one of our local channels managed to raise half a million dollars for them and the family of one who died which was a nice thing i suppose, throw me in a cave for two weeks no worries as long as i live.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: