Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My car is f***ing jinxed!

Author Topic: My car is f***ing jinxed!
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2006 01:25 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 Decembers ago, we were in need of a second car, so as to avoid driving our gas-guzzling '94 Chevy Suburban around. My parents bought a used (sorry, pre-owned) Chrysler Town & Country as the big family Christmas present.

The first time we drove it with the driver-side window down, we noticed a strange smell, like mildew.

Fast forward to my first semester in college (last September). I have Psychology, Algebra and Sociology assignments that I haven't finished all due on the same day! Plus, my mom needs me to help move into our new house. I go to the school and negotiate with the instructors for more time. I'm driving home, my mom calls my phone instead of my brothers', in a decidedly out-of-character moment, I answer it. I don't notice that the light I'm coming up to is red until about one second before I plow into the guy in front of me. I have to yell, "Mom! Mom! Shut up and listen, I just hit someone I have to hang up." I'm, of course, cited with inattentive driving and given a fine, which I pay.

Not four days after the car is out of the shop (the front end was smashed in and both airbags deployed), my mom gets rear-ended by an uninsured driver in an SUV one intersection away from where I had my accident. Miraculously the car is unharmed save some cosmetic damage and the alignment being a little off.

A couple of months ago someone parked their car across the street from our driveway so it wound up right in the blind spot of the van. I backed into them, the damage was all cosmetic but my premium went up again.

Just maybe 30-45 minutes ago the phone rang, it was my brothers, on their way home from a gig with their band Drive All Day. Someone tried to cut them off on I-95, and wound up totaling the front end of the car again! (They're fine, they have a witness, the other driver ran (on foot!)).

Prior to obtaining this car, I could count the number of accidents this family has been in (within my lifetime) on one hand (only one of which I was actually witness to and didn't hear about later). Now, in less than 2 years of having this car, I'm almost out of fingers(counting-wise, physically they're all still intact.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-07-2006 01:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Lasher
we noticed a strange smell, like mildew.

..good sign of a "flood" car with the mildew smell..

Some cars do have a habit of being jinxed as such. You must have like the car in order to do all of the repairs on that vehicle..

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: