Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » VIRTUAL INSANITY! Help with IE7...

Author Topic: VIRTUAL INSANITY! Help with IE7...
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 12:56 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone.

I have IE7 with Flash Player 8 that I'm running on Windows XP Home Service Pack 2.

Every time I get onto a website with a Flash Animation (Big example= http://www.marilynmanson.com), All I get is a dotted outline around the entire animation and an ALT pop-up that says "Click to activate and use this control".

How can I get this stupid thing to stop this, and just run the animations like it always has?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2006 05:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just visit this link, download and install it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 08:21 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "Click to Activate" is due to a lawsuit that Microsoft lost to a company called EOLAS. They claim to have a patent on embedding media files.

There are lots of "companies" out there buying up or getting somewhat bogus patents on obvious things, then trying to get money from big companies.

For the absolute best coverage of these type of suits, especially the ridiculous SCO vs. IBM suit over LINUX, check out Groklaw You will learn a LOT about how the law really works by reading that site.

Out patent system is a mess, and it needs to be totally redone. Far too many bad patents are being granted.

I'm sure EOLAS will be after FIREFOX next.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 09:12 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would really follow Brad's method if I were you.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 10:58 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm going to try it out.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mozilla based browsers are far better than IE browsers any day of the week...

And...Linux based browers are great as well.

- Monte

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-29-2006 05:15 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Firefox most of the time. I only use IE to get at the Outlook Web Interface when I'm away for work, or to use a small number of sites that won't work properly with Firefox (I come across 2-3 a year, at a guess). I did install IE7 Beta 2 a few days ago out of curiosity, and so far my impressions have been positive. The phishing filter appears to work well: I opened a couple of sites linked from phishing emails (after first having looked at the page source to see that there was nothing nasty and executable lurking in them), and IE7 correctly identified them as phishing sites. No false alarms, so far, either. The Google toolbar and multiple home pages features are quite handy. As for the multiple tab windows, this feature looks like it was ripped off from Firefox to me, which had it right from the first release. But overall and so far, its user interface is an improvement on 6, IMHO, and the big new feature - the phishing filter - seems to work OK.

Incidentally, the 'click to activate control' nuisance was happening with IE6 before I upgraded it, so I don't think this is an IE7-specific thing. However, if the lawsuit only affected the US, I'm a bit surprised that MS automatically sent the 'click to activate' update to non-US PCs.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 11:47 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I should clarify that it recently started occurring for me a few days ago, and before that, it hadn't been. I upgraded to IE7 and the problem was still emminent.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-30-2006 01:39 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I use Opera, but i have some strange issues with it. For example, when submitting assignments for one of my classes, the upload window never appears, and while trying to view online microfisce(sp?) parts diagrams, the images will never load. Any suggestions?

JJ

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-30-2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Internet Explorer 7 is a Beta release. As with all beta software, there are bugs.

IMHO, Internet Explorer is just a huge security liability and is best not used at all.

I've been using Mozilla's web browsers for a couple years now (first got on board with the standard Mozilla browser and then went to Firefox when Mozilla first started releasing it). Since switching to Firefox, I've had very little trouble with spyware and other issues that constantly plague IE.

Lots of people I know have had nightmarish problems due to IE security liabilities. Browser hijacks, like the Cool Web Search infection, are very common. Then you have other stuff like browser window spawning attacks and lots of other insidious crap.

Internet Explorer is affected by these problems because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom chose from the outset to graft the program deep into the operating system functions. If a security issue comes up with IE it often turns into an issue with Windows itself. Microsoft pulled that bullshit so they could pull some of their old tricks on competitors if needed. Change some code in the OS kernal to break things in rival web browsers and other non-Microsoft branded applications while the MS stuff continued to work.

That strategy did not help Microsoft. It just gave millions of users more reasons to despise Microsoft, search out alternative products and even jump to other computing platforms. Their sneaky strategy has been a double edged sword, creating the biggest target of opportunity for hackers to exploit in computing history. The hackers know exactly what Microsoft did and they are taking full advantage of it.

IE bug fixes and security patches are never ending. The program just bloats and bloats and bloats after awhile. By comparison, the full Firefox install is only a bit over 10MB is size.

Over at PC Magazine's website, John Dvorak posted an interesting column this past week on Internet Explorer. He contends Microsoft would be far better off by simply killing IE. Microsoft devotes so much of their software development resources in just fixing shit that goes wrong with IE. Dvorak contends this may be a key reason on why Windows Vista has been delayed. Everybody is too busy fixing IE bullshit and can't get enough time to work on new products. Basically IE is a huge money-losing operation for MS. They are spending billions trying to prop up that white elephant while far better browsers like Firefox continue to attract millions of new users.

As for other browsers like Opera, etc., I've tried them but went back to using Firefox quickly. Opera doesn't run as fast on my machines as Firefox and I see some pages get rendered strangely. On the bright side, Opera is completely free now.

Mark Lippert
Film Handler

From: Milwaukee, WI, the birthplace of people from Milwaukee, WI.

- posted 05-01-2006 04:01 PM      Profile for Mark Lippert   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Lippert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you using Firefox and still need to open sites in IE every once in a while, I recommend getting the IE Tab extension. It somehow emulates IE's rendering directly in a Firefox tab so you don't even have to open IE ever again. Which I haven't.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 03:17 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape 8.1 works really fine too (it is also by Mozilla). It also can "emulate" sites that are better viewed with IE. I do not need IE anymore so I disabled that totally.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: