Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Just Missed Shooting at Cleveland Hopkins Airport

Author Topic: Just Missed Shooting at Cleveland Hopkins Airport
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2006 09:35 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past week I was flying all over and I arrived back home this morning. I landed at Cleveland Hopkins around 9:45 and was leaving the airport by 10:15 or so. I got back to the office and my wife called me to tell me there was a shooting at the airport. I just missed it by minutes. I passed right through the ticketing area on my way to the baggage claim and that is where the incident took place. I am still a little freaked out. Below is the article.

A man who argued with workers at an airport ticket counter grabbed a police officer's gun and shot a patrolman before he was killed by another officer Thursday, authorities said.

The patrolman was shot twice in the chest but was in stable condition, authorities said. Another officer was treated for a bite to his neck by the suspect, McGrath said.

The man was identified by the Cuyahoga County Coroner's office as Kenneth Callaway, 38, of Willowick in suburban Cleveland.

The shootings at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport followed a disturbance earlier Thursday morning involving the same man in an airport parking garage, city Safety Director Martin Flask said.

Callaway then tried unsuccessfully to buy a ticket at the Delta Air Lines counter. After arguing with a Delta employee, he went to the adjacent United Airlines ticket counter and bought a ticket to Chicago, Flask said.

The United workers called police about the man, who then got into a confrontation with two officers, authorities said.

Authorities would not give any details on the argument at the ticket counter or the incident in the parking garage.

Flask said the man had a criminal record that included prison stays for burglary and drugs.

The shooting, shortly after 10 a.m., was in an area before security check points. The airport remained open and no flights were delayed. Airport officials led passengers arriving for flights around the crime scene to ticket counters.

The patrolman, Steve Walker, 52, was alert and talking to his wife Thursday afternoon, said Dr. Charles Yowler, a trauma physician at MetroHealth Medical Center. A Cleveland police officer for 18 years, including 10 at the airport, Walker had cracked ribs, a damaged lung and a bullet lodged in his back, the doctor said.

Bernice Walker said her husband of 21 years is a devoted father of two daughters.

Walker was not wearing a bulletproof vest. Police Chief Michael McGrath would not say whether that violated police rules.

Forty Cleveland police officers are assigned to the city-owned airport.

News Video

[ 04-28-2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-27-2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's crazy that you missed all of that. The guy got what he deserved, for sure. You really should have hung around so you could see it.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-27-2006 11:11 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if I would have [uhoh]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 09:14 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must be bad luck. Today I was sitting at my desk at about 4:15pm and everyone else had gone home. I was waiting for a truck to show up and pick up some freight for a demo I have to do next week. Suddenly I heard something shake the building and then it got worse. Much like an earthquake. There were two definite loud booms and the whole building shook. I had felt this once before two years ago when a company around the corner had caught on fire and a pile of magnesium powder of some kind was exploding into huge fireballs in the sky.

At first I thought that the semi backed into the building or something. I looked out of my front office window and the company across the street had all their windows blown out and smoke was billowing out of them. Glass had sprayed all over the cars in the parking lot and molten metal had set the grass on the edge of the road on fire. That was at least 50 feet away!
I called 911 and within minutes there were news helicopters, fire trucks, police cars and ambulances. I counted 4 ambulances leaving the scene.

I was told that the company melts down metals and seperates them and then turns them into small beads used by other companies to make things with. Seems they had some kind of an explosion but I am not sure yet exactly what happened. Below is this story.

Explosion in Oakwood Village

Created: 4/28/2006 5:05:35 PM
Updated:4/28/2006 6:01:56 PM

OAKWOOD VILLAGE -- Authorities are investigating an apparent explosion in Oakwood Village Friday afternoon.

It happened shortly after 4 p.m. at the I. Schuman Company on Alexander Road off of I-271.

The explosion was in a furnace. By the time the fire department arrived, it was over and out.

There were four minor injuries. One of them was respiratory related, which was the most serious. The four people were transported to Bedford Hospital.

The explosion blew out windows into the parking lot. Everyone was evacuated and the plant is closed until further notice while the fire dept and plant manager do a walk through.

Crews from five different cities responded to the fire.

Everyone has been accounted for.

© 2006

WKYC-TV

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-28-2006 09:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude I am going to start hanging around you and I'll bring my camera. Did you have your camera by chance?

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me. I did have my camera but took the photos after the smoke had cleared. Most of the emergency vehicles had already left.

You can barely see the broken windows in this one.
 -

This is just to the left of the first one. I guess the windows were blown out all over the building.
 -

My camera zoom sucks! I wish I would have gotten better pics.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-28-2006 10:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I disagree with you and agree with Josh Jones. Just because it may be Joshua Waaland's
time to go, it may NOT be mine. I say let him fend for himself! Especially as some collateral damage may not be in the cards for me!

Good luck, Mr. Waaland... (I'd change jobs if I were you...)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-28-2006 10:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be his time to go but it is not my time to go. I can just hang around and get cool pictures and maybe video while Waaland meets his maker. Of course I'll stop hanging around him when that happens because nothing cool would happen any more once he's dead. Plus the stench would annoy me. So would the smell of the rotting corpse.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't accidents happen in 3's? Better get up to his area quickly or you'll miss out.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
Don't accidents happen in 3's?
I keep thinking the same thing. I have 5 flights to catch this week and I hope they all go well. That would be the worst way to die. You can't do anything to prevent it and have to sit there while it happens. At least in a car you can swerve or something.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-30-2006 02:46 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can swerve in an airplane too. In three dimenions. Well, maybe not you per se, but the guys/gals up front have just as strong a will to live as you do, so they'll do what they think they need to do. Unless they're flying an Airbus... [evil]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-01-2006 02:55 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua, you are probably something like the Mothman. When people see you, something bad happens soon afterwards.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 05:06 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to feel like "Debby Downer" from Saturday Night Live. [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-01-2006 05:09 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote from the article posted by Joshua:
quote: Joshua Waaland
Bernice Walker said her husband of 21 years is a devoted father of two daughters.
Sounds like it was a slow news day in Cleveland, and there were column inches needing to be filled. After all, she was hardly going to tell the local paper: 'It's a pity that guy didn't finish the bastard off, as this would have saved me the trouble of filing divorce papers' !

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Mike was right. Number three happened this week. Good news is, I wasn't there so I know it's not me.

There is a Kodak developing facility that we share a wall with in this building. I was in New Orleans thursday morning and my wife called me as she was passing by my workplace on her way to work. She said there were several fire engines in front of our building. Good thing is, it was before office hours so nobody was there yet. I did get worried though because I have some of my projection equipment stored in my office. It seems Kodak had a small fire but it was extiguished quickly. Nobody was hurt. That would have sucked trying to get reimbursed from my employers insurance for my stuff. [Frown]

[ 05-05-2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: