Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Easter Beer Hunt

Author Topic: Easter Beer Hunt
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is about a week late, but my friend just sent me a video from about 20 years ago! We used to have an Easter beer hunt every Easter night. We would buy about 20 cases of 7 oz. Miller bottles and paint pastel colors on them the day before. Then we would meet at somebody's house, with a big enough yard and cool neighbors, and proceed with the hunt. The spouses/girlfriends would hide the beer bottles, while we anxiously waited inside! Then it was mayhem as everyone ran outside to find beer! The rules were, you had to drink a beer as soon as you found it, then put the empty bottles in your basket, and look for another. We had refs who were watching to make sure you didn't pour anything out, or puke! Instant disqualification! We had about three rounds of this action! Don't worry, we had another rule where all participants turned in their keys as they signed the tote board, or they didn't play! We drank heavy and responsible at the same time! [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-23-2006 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but drinking HEAVY doesn't mix with DRINKING RESPONSIBLY any way you may want to present it! That goes with anything alcoholic, non- alcoholic, even Milk, Coke, or Pepsi AND large intakes of any food. Large intake is simply not being responsible to your body in my Non-Mormon view. Belch!

Mark

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2006 05:10 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha-ha!! Right-on, Mark. [beer]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2006 05:17 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't worry, we had another rule where all participants turned in their keys as they signed the tote board, or they didn't play!
how more responsible can you get??

i can debate alot of things. . we had fun. we also played by the rules. nobody left these partys driving drunk. the only outcome was that the participants the next morning crying about how bad they felt.
[puke]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-23-2006 10:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

While the game IS probably alot of fun your antics might look bad to any future customers that visit this site. That is really what I was getting at above. A healthy attitide comes across much better when you're in buisness.

Mark

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

are you being serious? You are telling us that doing bad things to our body comes across as unprofessional?

I'm sorry, but I think there were quite a few "professionals" at that Film Tech drink in Vegas during showest. What Richard or anyone does at home has nothing to do with their "professionalism". If a customer came to this site and read that Richard drank beer on his own time with friends and decided that they would rather take their business elsewhere need to re-examine their own lives.

what about eating excessively? Should customers go somewhere else because someone likes food more than others? it isnt healthy to over-indulge... so would that count as unprofessional too?

I applaud him and his friends for the confiscation of keys. that, in my opinion, IS repsonsible.

seriously... take the stick out man.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2006 12:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jason,

Stick no...... The Film-Tech professionals at drink night keep it to themselves what they drank and did that night, thats how a professional in any buisness generally behaves. Film-Tech drink night is fun but you generally won't see posts here as to how many beers tom, dick or harry drank!
And yes, I can think of quite a few present and past customers both in this area and out that would get the wrong picture from that sort of post.... including at least one large past customer that Richard has done work for in this area whose management lurks around film-tech. Part of the problem in this area stems from a tech who did this all too frequently and didn't show up on calls on time or sometimes at all, or leaves the jobsite to go to the nearest bar at 3PM, or you have to go to the bar to find him. That tech in this area is now out of buisness, some of his ex-customers are frequent posters on this site! There is another tech in another mountain state that does the same thing and has garnered the same fine reputation. His customer base is also dwindling.

Sure, "games" like that are fun but generally not a good thing to make public note of. We ALL overindulge in many things on occasion but posting that sort of stuff here can indeed create the wrong image to perspective and to present customers that may call someone else next time because they've been through it before with some other tech.
Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2006 01:29 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Point taken and appreciated. I see the point you are making. I really didn't think about the business side when I started this thread. This was something we have not done for 20 years now, I was just reminiscing because my friend sent me a video via email this Easter.

Rick

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-24-2006 02:28 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Part of the problem in this area stems from a tech who did this all too frequently and didn't show up on calls on time or sometimes at all, or leaves the jobsite to go to the nearest bar at 3PM, or you have to go to the bar to find him.
There is a big difference between doing something away from work with friends and doing something that clearly affects your work.

I've known a few lazy union projectionists who could hardly be bothered to get up out of their La-Z-Boys for a changeover. Does that make all union projectionists bad? Some schmuck with a platter scratched a print. Should all platter houses be treated as second class?

If a customer can't tell the difference, then it's probably just as well that you don't get their work. It would just make you miserable.

I thought it was a fun story and it makes Rick a real person.

So I guess:
Rick is screwed for starting this.
I'm screwed for writing this.
Bob is screwed for drinking martinis.
Brad is screwed for preferring AW3s.
Steve is screwed for liking cheese (except in Wisconsin).
And Gordon is screwed for being Canadian.

[Big Grin] [beer]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-24-2006 02:54 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, FYI - "Miller" is not real beer. Sorry.
Still, that sounds like a pretty funny game. I am a little puzzled why people in Germany don't do that. They do drink heavily on Easter, as on every other occassion. Easter - drinking - Easter Egg hunting - Easter Beer hunting. It never occurred to me. But it's so obvious.

I think that, as Adam already pointed out, as long as it does not affect their actual work performance, "real people" should be allowed to do whatever they like. It simply doesn't matter what they do outside their work hours as long as they show up for work on time and perform. If they don't, then it's a work problem, if they do, then everything else, including whatever problems may or may not happen outside their work hours, are private matters and/or problems.
Everything else is just sanctimonious Mormon or non-Mormon crap.

Speaking of which, I played in a concert in a Mormon church on Easter weekend, and damn! are these people screwed up in their heads, more than any amount of alcohol could cause. I think it's pretty ironic they don't allow drinks considering that Jesus as portrayed in the bible actually *provided* alcohol to happy people, and the very obvious fact that some serious substance abuse must have played part in the creation of their cult. But we aren't supposed to discuss religion here. Just wanted to mention that on the side.
But then, we were allowed to discuss Tom Cruise's scientology placenta eating, so I guess that should be OK, considering either aren't real religions anyway.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2006 03:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
"Miller" is not real beer. Sorry
I know, it was the only thing available in 7oz glass bottles! We iced them down the day before so they were cold enough that you couldn't really taste them! [Wink] Like I said earlier, this is something we did about 20 years ago.

There are so many things on this site that seem to be a touchy subject here. Which is probably a good thing. We can't really talk about religion or politics, but say a "Charlie" remark and nobody says anything. Sexual preference seems to be ok, but some remarks would probably get you fired in the workplace.

It's all good, I take it all in, and then I know in the future if I want to do any business with the individuals who have unknowingly insulted me. [Wink]

Rick

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2006 04:05 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst case of consistant alcoholism I ever witnessed was in the United States Air Force! It is pretty bad when major bases like Norton (closed), Travis and Davis Monthan have big signs posted at the front gate stating that the base has gone for x-amount of days w/o a DUI. Rarely would a base go for more than 20 days w/o one!

At Norton AFB, we had "wet" dorms....that is until things got out of hand. Then the Squadron Commander would declare "dry" dorms for a few months. After everything would quiet down, then the baraks would be declared "wet" again, and the cycle would continue. The alcohol related antics and destruction in the dorms made films like "Animal House" look like a bunch of amateurs!!!! Oh, the stories I have! I witnessed an alcohol related suicide at Travis AFB, the individual having sent a suicide note through his chain-of-command prior to blowing his brains out. The note had been ignored.

Kutler

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2006 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am a little puzzled why people in Germany don't do that. They do drink heavily on Easter, as on every other occasion.
In Germany supermarkets beer is in the 'soft drinks' aisle, rather than with the rest of the alcohol, with the bottle deposit costing more than the cheapest beer.

This is in a country that has passed special Purity Laws governing beer production

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2006 08:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
So I guess:
Rick is screwed for starting this.
I'm screwed for writing this.
Bob is screwed for drinking martinis.
Brad is screwed for preferring AW3s.
Steve is screwed for liking cheese (except in Wisconsin).
And Gordon is screwed for being Canadian.

Adam,

Its clear that you had too many beers tonight [Big Grin]

quote: Adam Martin
There is a big difference between doing something away from work with friends and doing something that clearly affects your work
True.... as long as what is done with friends is not made public! The point is that some customers that have had to go through having a tech WITH those problems will be less likely to hire another tech that also makes his similar or related antics public for all to know about. Its personal experience with those customers having had that problem brought about my first post!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: