Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Major Memory Woes with HP n5450

Author Topic: Major Memory Woes with HP n5450
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I'm stumped on the laptop problem I've been having, maybe one of you can help?

I have an HP n5450 laptop, I know the RAM can be upgraded to 512mb. Currently it has 128mb in there. I bought 2 sticks of PC133 Sdram 256mb. I am running ME, but will upgrade to XP if I can get this to work. When I put both new sticks in and power up, the power light comes on, but no response from the screen. When I put 1 new stick only in, it will start up for about 5 seconds, then restart, over and over. When I have the old stick in the primary slot and a new stick in the secondary slot, it will load up to the ME splash screen and then restart. Also at this time, I noticed in the BIOS that instead of showing 384mb, it shows 383mb. My BIOS is also at the most current version.

When I put the new stick in the primary slot and the old stick in the secondary slot, it will load for 5 seconds then restart. I tried upgrading it to XP, and then put in the old memory in the primary slot and a new stick in the secondary slot and I get the error "0232: Extended RAM failed at startup 1B" and recieve 2 beeps. Putting in only 1 stick of the new memory causes it to load for 5 seconds and restart over and over. Putting in both new sticks causes the power light to come on, but nothing after that.

My computer knowledge is on the extensive level, but with laptops, I'm clueless

I hope I described my problem enough. Please don't hesitate to ask for more info.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2006 11:30 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably need PC100 sdram 256MB not pc133. That is probably why you got the extended ram failed error at the start up because there were conflicting memory clock speeds. Your system can only handle the 100mhz not 133mhz.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the memory spot of the puter, it says pc100/133 so it should be able to handle both.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2006 11:38 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May or may not help but have you tried checking the HP site to see if there is a BIOS update for your brand of laptop?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your memory say this on the package. 256MB PC-133 SO DIMM That is what I found through my searches as to be what you need. It also said PC-100 on some of the information. The footprint which is the SO DIMM needs to be the same I would guess. I am not sure if you can run two different memory clock speeds together. I don't think you can and that is probably why you had that one error.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..in the BIOS, is there a choice for P100/133 ram usage? Sometimes, laptop memory is proprietary, which means you have to buy and use their RAM, not just anybody's RAM.

Just like my DELL laptop here: I have to use their RAM if I want to do an increase.

I think that HP uses the Phoenix BIOS system.

Richard - check here for some serious info on your laptop.

good luck - Monte

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2006 03:04 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right from some problems I had years ago.
You might have to use HP SDRAM I don't think some of the older HP's
support EDO ram.

Hope that helps.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 12:05 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate all the input guys. I found otu that the puter takes a specific chip manufactured by HP. Hopefully, I can get a refund on this stuff I already bought.

Thanks again

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-17-2006 02:06 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really sinful that all the computer manufactures think they have a better solution for memories' and make one buy THEIR crap!

When will consumers demand standardization? Fuck 'em all!

May God be with you on this Easter Sunday...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: