Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nora Ephron on the multiplex experience

Author Topic: Nora Ephron on the multiplex experience
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-09-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Friday's New York Times, writer/director Nora Ephron (Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail) writes about her experience seeing a film in Manhattan at the Loews Orpheum 7, in the context of previously being on the Loews board (though of course now it's an AMC).

The op-ed is titled "The Last Picture Show" (permanent link).

This image accompanies the op-ed (rescaled for FT sizing), credited to artist Jason Logan:
 -

There are also letters in response printed in today's New York Times, I link to and quote them below after the article.

I'm genuinely puzzled what could have happened to cause her to think the synchronization might have changed between reels. I suppose a loop could have altered size, a reel been misprinted, or it could have gone in and out of a miscalibrated digital soundhead. But all of that seems a bit unlikely to me...

Here's the text:
quote:

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW
By NORA EPHRON
Published: April 7, 2006

WE went to the movies the other night. We live in New York City, where it costs $10.75 to see a movie, which doesn't include the $1.50 surcharge for buying the tickets ahead of time online. I love buying tickets ahead of time online. One of the miracles of modern life, as far as I'm concerned, is that moment when you enter a movie theater, stick your credit card into a machine and it spits the exact tickets you ordered straight out at you. Every time it happens, I just want to say, I don't believe it! This is great!! Wow!!!

On the other hand, it turns out that there's a new technological advance in the buying-tickets-ahead-of-time department that takes all the fun out of it: you can now print out your confirmation at home, skip the machine and go straight to the ticket taker. The ticket taker then scans your printout and prints the tickets right at the entrance to the theater, thus holding up all the people behind you in the ticket line and eliminating the one miraculous moment you used to be able to count on when going to see a movie.

But the other night, as it turned out, we didn't have to give our printout to the ticket taker, because when we walked into the theater, there was no ticket taker. The entrance to the theater was empty of personnel. The other customers just walked right in without giving their tickets to anyone, and we did too.

We trooped two flights downstairs to Theater 7, expecting to bump into a ticket taker on our way to the theater, but we never did. We had also hoped to buy something to eat, but the lower-level refreshment counter was closed and the popcorn was just sitting there, getting stale, in a big cold pile.

I should probably say at this point that the theater we went to was the Loews Orpheum 7, at 86th Street and Third Avenue in Manhattan. I should probably also say that the Loews Orpheum 7 is owned by AMC, but it used to be owned by Loews Cineplex Entertainment Corporation, and when it was, I was on the company's board.

This was a sad experience in my life because I had modestly hoped, in my role as a board member, to do something about the unbelievably low quality of the food sold in movie theaters. As it turned out, no one at Loews cared about what I thought about the food sold in theaters.

So I dutifully attended the board meetings and was subjected to a series of PowerPoint presentations that were meant to validate the company's policy of building costly, large cineplexes, most of them conveniently situated right across the street from other costly, large cineplexes being built by rival theater companies.

One day, about two years into my tenure, I was staying in Los Angeles, in a hotel, and I attended a Loews board meeting by telephone; it was so boring that I decided to leave for a while and get a manicure downstairs.

When I got back to my room, only 20 minutes later, everyone was screaming at one another on the telephone. I didn't want to admit I had left the room -- and by the way, no one had even noticed -- so I listened for a while and realized that while I'd been out having my nails done, the company had gone bankrupt.

This was a shock to me and to everyone else on the board. I never did find out why the news hadn't been mentioned earlier in the board meeting, but that of course was one of the reasons everyone was screaming at one another. I mean, there were people on the board whose companies owned shares in Loews who had just found out that they'd lost hundreds of millions of dollars as a result of a bankruptcy no one had even had the courtesy to warn them about. It wasn't even on the agenda!

A few months later some investors from Canada and California bought Loews at a bargain basement price. A couple of years later, AMC Entertainment took over, and as far as I can tell it has done nothing whatsoever to improve the food sold at the refreshment counter or anything else.

Anyway, the other night. We passed the shuttered refreshment counter, went into the theater and sat down. The ads were already playing. There were quite a few of them, including a diet cola ad involving trucks and motorcycles that was so in love with itself that it actually recommended going to a special Web site that explained how the ad had been made.

Then, suddenly, the sound turned off and the screen went completely dark. Several minutes passed. The theater was three-quarters full, but no one moved. In some strange and inexplicable way, I felt responsible. I stood up and went two flights upstairs. A ticket taker had materialized and was now taking tickets. I told her that the system in Theater 7 had shut down. She looked at me blankly. I asked her if she would tell someone about it. She said she would and went on taking tickets. I stood there waiting. After a couple of minutes, when the customers had all passed through, she yelled out, "Projection, is there something wrong in Theater 7?" I went back downstairs.

The system started up again. The trailers began. I noticed that there was a large band of white light across the bottom of the screen and that the images of the actors were all cut off in the middle of their eyeballs.

I left the theater and walked upstairs again. The ticket taker was still there. I asked her if she would ask the projectionist to reframe the movie. Once again she looked at me blankly, so I asked again. She promised she would. I waited until she walked off in the direction of the unseen projectionist. By the time I got back to my seat, the image on screen had been reframed, although not perfectly, but by then I was too exhausted by my heroism to complain further.

The movie began. It was out of sync, but hey, it was a good movie. And it was only slightly out of sync. Besides, there was a huge amount of cutting and action, so you could sort of live with its being out of sync. Then, in the last 20 minutes, the movie became noticeably, extraordinarily, unbelievably out of sync. But it was almost over. And I didn't want to leave my seat for fear I might miss something.

Afterward, on my way out of the theater, I asked if I could speak to the manager. She turned out to be on maternity leave. I asked if I could speak to the assistant manager. There was no assistant manager on duty. So I ended up with my old friend, the ticket taker, who was, as you can imagine, thrilled to see me again. I told her that the last reel of the movie we had just seen was out of sync and that they might want to fix it before the next show began. She promised me they would.

Nora Ephron is a writer and director.

Anyhow, then, the following 3 letters appear in today (9 April)'s Times, headlined "Saturday Night at the Movies -- With Glitches (3 Letters)" (permanent link).

quote:

Published: April 8, 2006

To the Editor:

Re "The Last Picture Show," by Nora Ephron (Op-Ed, April 7):

I was so glad to read that other people are having the same dreadful movie experiences I am, and Nora Ephron, at that. I know that this is not as vital as solving world peace or hunger, but there are some very important films on those subjects that will get lousy airings at current movie houses.

Last summer I went to the movies and the picture needed to be reframed because the whole picture wasn't aligned right horizontally or vertically. At first, we in the audience yelled out to fix the picture. But when it was obvious there was no projectionist in the booth, someone went to the manager. It took three trips to the manager before we got a good picture. Another time the sound wasn't working correctly and I went to the manager and found the projectionist at the popcorn stand.

It seems that there are more serious moviegoers and independent films, but many theaters don't seem to care about a quality movie theater experience. Maybe that is why there are more theaters like the Jacob Burns Film Center popping up.

Connie Welling
Bronxville, N.Y., April 7, 2006

To the Editor:

This year's Oscar presenters, who bemoaned the fact that fewer people are going to theaters to watch movies the way they're meant to be watched, should take note of Nora Ephron's article. My husband and I still go to the movies once a week, and I'm the person who used to run down interminable corridors back to the lobby to report projection troubles.

Tip for Ms. Ephron: I've programmed the telephone number of our local megaplex into my cellphone. Now I simply call the manager's office from my seat to report a sound problem in Theater 6.

Sylvia Sirota
Levittown, N.Y., April 7, 2006

To the Editor:

So many questions for Nora Ephron, so little column space ...

* Did you really get a manicure while you were supposed to be fulfilling your fiduciary duty at a corporate board meeting, or was that a joke?

* You were able to endure a really bad movie experience for two hours, for which you spent all of $12, while you could not stick it out for a conference call that culminated in the bankruptcy of a public company?

* Did you understand that your board responsibilities extended beyond the food offerings, like to the financial statements?

* How did your behavior materially differ from that of the ticket taker?

* Do you ever become frustrated by the relatively small percentage of women in powerful corporate positions?

Joann Barry
New York, April 7, 2006

It's all very depressing. (Can we please not have the obligatory discussion about how the people running the movie weren't real "projectionists"? We've heard it all before, and despite what we think, the general public will probably continue to use that word for some time...).

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-09-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: NYT letter posted by John Hawkinson
Tip for Ms. Ephron: I've programmed the telephone number of our local megaplex into my cellphone. Now I simply call the manager's office from my seat to report a sound problem in Theater 6.
Now that introduces an interesting ethical dilemma for the manager on the receiving end of the call, doesn't it? What action does (s)he take first? Investigate the alleged sound problem, or inflict a slow and painful death on Ms. Sirota for using her mobile 'phone in the auditorium?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2006 09:38 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was, of course, wrong for the staff to act so poorly. But why didn't Nora, and all the other studio people who make comments about poor presentations, say something like "I'll never allow the Loews Orpheum 7 to ever to run my films?" Because she wants the money.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-09-2006 10:04 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly this "New York Experience"...thanks to the uncaring national circuits.......is beginning to spread elsewhere. Louis

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Afterward, on my way out of the theater, I asked if I could speak to the manager. She turned out to be on maternity leave. I asked if I could speak to the assistant manager. There was no assistant manager on duty.
Who the hell is running the ship. Hmmmmmmmm must be the projectionist I guess.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-09-2006 11:21 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think it's the other way around Louis. The major markets were the last to let their showmanship standards fall by the wayside, at least from my experience.

Starting in the '80s I quit going to movie theaters here due to all the lazy and lousy practices we've all bitched about here. Instead, I flew myself down to LA, specifically Hollywood or Westwood, if I really wanted to see something presented properly.

Sadly, nowadays even a Westwood location is no guarantee of a proper presentation anymore. I'm afraid the only places left where one can expect a good presentation every time is in an industry screening room; too bad the public doesn't get to go into those.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-09-2006 06:32 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, Leo. I think it's completely reasonable to use a cell phone in an auditorium to report a MAJOR problem that everyone can perceive and is affecting everyone.

When it's more borderline (focus or frame slightly off), I will
ascertain whether I can use my cell phone sufficiently quietly,
or else get up and go to the side of the auditorium and call (rather than walk down an interminable maze of corridors, escalators, staircases, etc., to find a human).

Not that it's a good indicator, but I've never had anyone in the audience complain when I called in a problem, and I have had people thank me.

I realize your question was rhetorical, of course.

As for John Walsh's comment, `But why didn't Nora, and all the other studio people who make comments about poor presentations, say something like "I'll never allow the Loews Orpheum 7 to ever to run my films?" Because she wants the money.'

I think the answers are clear. #1: It would be awfully tough for her to guarantee that, and it's not a good idea to make promises you can't keep #2: This one theatre is merely symptomatic of an industry-wide problem. If Nora Ephron held that single theatre to those standards, to be fair she'd have to do the same to thousands of other theatres around the country. And that's just not realistic.

It seems to me that drawing public attention to the problem is a pretty reasonable thing to do.

--jhawk

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Chicago in the passed couple of years I've never been happy with presentation at any of the large downtown circuit theaters. The only time I seem to be happy with presentation is when I'm the one running the show. (And this isn't to toot my own horn or anything...) But I guess this is why I write letters to AMC all the time.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-10-2006 07:09 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note to John H; I generally meant to say that any studio people who complain about a theater should take steps to see that the theater clean up it's act, or not get product. Although, that wasn't very clear in my post.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-10-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot imagine that anything Nora Ephron could say to AMC (or to the various studios who have released her films) would be more effective than publishing a piece on the Op-Ed page of the New York Times.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: