Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Poor choice of headline on IMDB

Author Topic: Poor choice of headline on IMDB
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's with this IMDB headline? I can't figure out from the article what Katie Couric has to do with the KKK. [Roll Eyes] Or is it a reference to someone stuttering? Does Katie Couric stutter? What am I missing here?

IMDB

CBS Waiting for Katie at the K-K-K-Kitchen Door

CBS is likely to announce this week or next that it has reached an agreement with Katie Couric to anchor the CBS Evening News and join the regular contributors to 60 Minutes, Television Week reported over the weekend. Although Couric's contract with NBC is not due to expire until the end of May, it was widely reported that the network had released her from her obligation not to negotiate with another network until then so that it could move forward with plans for the Today show before pitching it to advertisers during the mid-May "upfronts." This week might appear to be an awkward choice for CBS's announcement. On Wednesday, NBC plans to air a video tribute to Couric to mark her 15th anniversary as cohost of Today.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-03-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reference is to an old song. I which the person was named Katie.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2006 06:09 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill [Smile]

K-K-K-Katy mp3

web page

K-K-K-Katy

Jimmy was a soldier brave and bold,
Katy was a maid with hair of gold,
Like an act of fate,
Kate was standing at the gate,
Watching all the boys while on parade.
Kate smiled, with a twinkle in her eye,
Jim said, m-m-m-meet ya by and by.
That night at eight,
Jim was at the garden gate,
Stuttering this song to K-K-K-Kate.

K-K-K-Katy, beautiful Katy,
You're the only g-g-g-girl that I adore;
When the m-m-m-moon shines,
Over the c-c-c-cowshed,
I'll be waiting at the k-k-k-kitchen door.
Over the c-c-c-cowshed,

No one ever looked so nice and neat,
No one could be just as cute and sweet,
That's what Jimmy thought,
When the wedding ring he bought,
Soon he'll go to France, the foe to meet.
Jimmy thought he'd like to take a chance,
See if he could make the Kaiser dance,
Stepping to a tune,
All about the silv'ry moon,
This is what they'll hear in far off France.

Over the c-c-c-cowshed,
Over the c-c-c-cowshed,

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first glance, I thought the song was Mclusky's KKKitchens, What Were You Thinking?

Like IMDB has time to listen to Welsh noise rock, though...

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-04-2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, Your post brought back a flood of wonderful memories, Katie is one of my favorites from from the early forties. Thank ou so very much now do me a favor and post your link in the Classic Songs in the "Joke Forum". This was one of the song's I used to do in the SaucySylvia show.

Thanks, for the memory,

Bob

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-05-2006 06:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vaguely related to which, it took all the self control I could muster not to burst into fits of politically incorrect giggles during a paper at last year's AMIA conference. The speaker was describing his research on optical media preservation for an organisation called GIPWoG. In British English slang, 'Gip' is a racial slur for gipsies, as is 'Wog' (believed by some to be an acronym for 'wily oriental gentleman') for people of African or Middle Eastern ethnic origin. As a Canadian friend remarked, the situation would be similar to that of someone from the US hearing a presentation about a British government agency called NiggerFag!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-05-2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or me, when giving final training sessions to a group of new spacecraft controllers in Australia many years ago. I had been purposely pronouncing the acronym "TWT" (Travelling Wave Tube) as "twit" just to see if it would get a reaction. Such as, "you must allow the cathodes to warm up for four minutes before commanding the high voltage on these twits." To their credit, the trainees stifled their giggles rather well.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-05-2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least it wasn't a Travelling Wave Amplification Tube...

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah The joy of acronym's!!

I recall that a certain Mr Fred Wedlock in the mid seventies compared the properties of "Best Universal Grit Grime and Effluent Remover" and the "Finest Universal Cleanser Known" [Big Grin]

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IBM had a policy of never saying acronyms, so (for example) to this day CICS is "see eye see ess", never "kicks". This was in case some word meant something in some language other than American.

Then there was the story of the Japanese IBM plug compatible manufacturer called Facom, and quite how to pronouce their name...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: